It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
It is just his opinion.

Why does everyone hate him for exercising his right to free speech?

He has no power to actually impliment such a ban, unlike Hillary did in 2005.

I don't agree with Trump's opinion but absolutely defend his right to express it.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Gotcha. See, i have respect for people of your age because you truly lived through change. I do not see anything however going backward as much as it going to back to freedom for all to speak their mind not just special interests.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

And you also lived to see CONSERVATIVE JUSTICES rule to protect that political expression.

The USSC should not be taking Liberal or a Conservative side in reality, should it?

Should it not be just making decisions via Constitutional Rights?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

WATCH: Trump Fails Miserably – Doesn’t Know What’s In U.S. Constitution (VIDEO)
news.groopspeak.com...

Trump claims that the 14th amendment doesn't give birthright citizenship to people born here.

Donald Trump Humiliates Himself By Getting The Constitution Wrong On Meet The Press
www.politicususa.com...

Or consider Trump’s private meeting with Republican members of Congress, when the candidate expressed his admiration for Article 12 of the Constitution, apparently unaware that there are only seven Articles.
“He was just listing out numbers,” said Congressman Blake Farenthold (R-Texas), a Trump supporter.

www.politico.com...

He wants to "open up libel" laws to make easier for him to sue the press when they write about him...Freedom of the Press.

He wants to torture people...Eight Amendement

He wants to institute a religious test - Fourteenth amendment

He wants to include US Citizens when he re-fills Guantanamo Bay..

He wants to close Mosques...Freedom of religion

It would be one thing if Trump merely displayed a lack of knowledge of the Constitution. Ignorance can be corrected. However, the problem is not just that Trump is ignorant of the Constitution; it’s that he doesn’t care.
www.politico.com...

edit on 29-11-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

I'm not sure I much appreciate the Flag Protection Act of 2005, but y'all are doing a bang up job of your usual method: draining all matters of nuance and detail and re-injecting them with the artificial nuance that suits you.

"Amends the federal criminal code to revise provisions regarding desecration of the flag to prohibit: (1) destroying or damaging a U.S. flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite or produce imminent violence or a breach of the peace; or (2) stealing or knowingly converting the use of a U.S. flag either belonging to the United States or on lands reserved for the United States and intentionally destroying or damaging that flag."

So this law would a) have been more narrow and b) less severe (losing your citizenship wasn't proposed). Ergo, false equivalency. You're also, of course, removing the 2005 Act from the context of jingoistic douchebaggery that was oh-so-prevalent for several years following 9/11.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Gotcha. See, i have respect for people of your age because you truly lived through change. I do not see anything however going backward as much as it going to back to freedom for all to speak their mind not just special interests.

Individuals are Special Interest?

I don't get that point.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyElohim

What law did Trump propose that you are referring to and comparing to 2005?

Hint: presidents do not have the power to make laws. You might want to consider taking a grade school level course on civics.

Trump was merely expressing an opinion.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Perhaps things would have been different under Hillary?

Oh, wait...

Curious as to how you feel when you post a lie?

Your handy Reddit/Alt-Right Sh*&-post meme says "any poster"...while the compromise bill she signed onto said..

en.wikipedia.org...

The law would have prohibited burning or otherwise destroying and damaging the US flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism.

destroying or damaging a U.S. flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite or produce imminent violence

So...BS...again...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Hint: presidents do not have the power to make laws. You might want to consider taking a grade school level course on civics.

Trump was merely expressing an opinion,

We know that. At least I do.

But, no one can predict what Trump will do.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

a reply to: JohnnyElohim

What law did Trump propose that you are referring to and comparing to 2005?

This tweet from the angry oompa-loompa:

Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Oh now you see he's problematic.

Banning Muslims, throwing children out of the country, torturing people, murdering relatives of terrorists and all those things he said during the election were all right with you then

Its too late, bro, you got your Nazi he's yours

edit on 29-11-2016 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Why do you consider Trump "unpredicitable" when he makes his opinion clear, just as he did on this issue?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I know right! I can't count the number of Constitutional arguments I've approached off of Trump's rhetoric. And what I get in response is the hard core supporters just straight up arguing in favor of it. Then there are the others who always say how these are just his words and not his actions. It's all disgusting to me.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Why do you consider Trump "unpredicitable" when he makes his opinion clear, just as he did on this issue?

Because it is difficult to predict the behavior of people that suffer from mental health issues...more so when they are President.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Because Trump walks back his opinions rather quickly and then pretends like he never even held the previous opinion despite even video evidence saying otherwise. It is quite possible, for instance, that this tweet is just a passing opinion that will change like the wind.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Trump NEVER had any beliefs in any democratic values. He always demonstrated fascist impulses that now will become the face of America

Even Scalia voted that burning the American flag was free speech protected by the constitution.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Trump cares about Trump.

Trump will do whatever he feels benefits him.

Like tell people what they want to hear.

This opinion of bringing back protection of the Flag - - - fuels his base, gets them riled up. Which I'm pretty sure is his real intent.

Trump's supporters remind me of little kids waiting for candy, and Trump offers them candy - - whether he can deliver it or not.

Trump is the Pied Piper.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

So... under the sponsored bill it's still jail time and a $100,000 fine for burning the flag with intent to incite or produce violence? Why else would anyone burn a flag?

I don't see the point of your post, other than the fact you were probably triggered to shoot from the hip. Thanks for proving my point?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Not individuals...groups. There are too many 'groups' of people in my eyes these days. No one looks as themselves as a collective but a 'give me rights' because of this and 'give me rights' because I do not agree with you.

There was a time when we were a country and did things for all not the few.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

That candy will soon turn to hemlock

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join