It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Hitler didn't start off murdering anyone he disagreed with. He started with BS like this.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: LSU0408
Ironically, because of how patriotic I am, I'm in favor of punishing anyone who burns the US Flag.

patriotic over the ideals of the nation, of which the very first amendment and the whole reason this country was founded was the freedom of speech and expression
the literal first amendment.

What you are feeling then, when discussing how you are a fan of weakening the very main piller of the society isn't patriotism..its nationalism. it is finding a way to punish people who think differently than you and your view on what the country "should be" instead of how its designed.

Patriotism is good. nationalism is a sickness.

So basically, I'm so patriotic I'm anti-American according to you...

No, you aren't patriotic at all. you are anti-American because you are a nationalist.

What a world. Our ancestors would be ashamed of the way things have turned out so far, IMO.

if your ancestors are directly linked to the german Nazi party, then yes..they would be ashamed of Americans rights to free speech.

The founding fathers however would no doubt be quite happy with how we have rejected the idea of punishing those who speak their mind.

Flag burning is reprehensible. the only thing more disgusting than those who do that are the politicians who are trying to outlaw it and their cheerleaders.

Meh, you're reaching far too deep... I'm not gonna protest and block traffic to scream about penalizing flag burners. I just wouldn't complain if the law changed back to making it illegal. That's my opinion, and for that, I support making burning the flag illegal. I'll continue to despise anyone who does it, and consider them to be unAmerican and pitiful. Thems just ma thoughts. I'll continue to laugh at anyone who calls me unconstitutional for that (not directing this at you) as well.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Ah, but they did arrest him before he could burn all of them. Said all of the gas and Books in his truck equated to a 'rolling bomb'. They used something else to prevent the act. Now why is that? I drive a car with a gas tank all day everyday...what is the difference? Administration and perception.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Balance is always needed between pure freedom and the structure in society vital to progress.

This balance was found in the form of the constitution and the amendments.
Amendment 1:

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I'm afraid it's you who are going to have a hard time.

Nobody ever said being a patriot is easy

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of tyrants and patriots."

This means we must always fight tyrants instead of settle for the comfortable acceptance.

By the way, your 'embrace democracy or you will be eradicated' meme shows how little you actually know about democracy. If there is one sure way of being eradicated, it's embracing democracy. This is why the US has always rejected democracy in it's purest form. Democracy is not for embracing, it's for managing.

Anyone talking smack about Liberty Prime is clearly a communist

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

Why not include this in your response? This is MY take on it. I was trying to show an example of how a person could try to use 'freedom of expression' in a different type of 'protest'.

Personally I see it used today as much as throwing around the word 'racist'. There was a time where burning a flag was a true symbol of protest and a person would do it to defy the government. If it is 'legal' to do it then it is just a waste of time and not to me a true protest.

What I was saying is that a person, if they wanted, could call burning anything freedom of expression.

Freedom of expression is not freedom of political expression.....
Burning car...NOT Political expression...Burning American flag in protest...IS
Flashing your junk in front of grade school is NOT political expression...Claiming the President is a terrorist is.
I could do this all day..
Not sure how to help you further here.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Ever read about Night of the Long Knives...he did it as he came to power within the first year. That is why I made the comparison. I am just waiting for someone to compare the Art of the Deal to Mein Kampf...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

So if it is political I can burn a flag but if it is personal i cannot? That is what you are saying. Kind of contradictory.
edit on 11pm30pmf0000002016-11-29T13:53:24-06:000124 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: UKTruth
I think jail and loss of citizenship is a fair punishment for burning the flag.

I hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

Holy SH*&! The loony fascists are coming out of the wood-work to Support Trump.

No...Burning the flag is free political expression protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution of The United States of America.

It is EVERY Americans right to demonstrate their displeasure, disagreement and even anger with their government.

If you think otherwise...take that BS to North Korea...Or in your case..just stay the eff out of our country...cuz we are Free.

The "Consequences" of Freedom of Speech are a Free Democracy.

We have freedom of opinion too, and you seem ok to suppress it when it isn't in favor of yours.

Me pointing out that an opinion is facist or stupid is NOT "Oppressing" free speech...IT IS THE PRECISE OPPOSITE.

Free democracy huh? Is that why the left wants to make it readily available for the electors to change their vote to the candidate of their choice even though the majority of citizens in that state didn't vote for said candidate?

Where TF did that come from...By the way...it is not "the left" that created the "faithless elector" option...it was the effen founding fathers...take it up with them.

link   

I'm not gonna protest and block traffic to scream about penalizing flag burners. I just wouldn't complain if the law changed back to making it illegal.

That's different
Blocking traffic is illegal. it effects commerce laws, is a public danger, and not to mention traffic laws already exist that doesn't allow someone to block a road.

arrest em all the second they start up that nonsense. nothing a couple weeks in jail wont rectify

That's my opinion, and for that, I support making burning the flag illegal. I'll continue to despise anyone who does it, and consider them to be unAmerican and pitiful. Thems just ma thoughts. I'll continue to laugh at anyone who calls me unconstitutional for that (not directing this at you) as well.

not just un-American..anti-American. literally trying to weaken the 1st amendment and the entire reason why this nation was founded.

Personally I want to punch anyone who burns a flag in protest and laugh with sick joy when idiots end up burning themselves..great karma. but its their right.

Mock them. make them a meme. make them feel like a drooling retard for doing such stuff..I will be there beside you pointing and laughing.
But the second you try to push old laws back up to try and shut down ways of expression and protest is when you go from a liberty loving patriot to a authoritarian who needs to be put down

link   
a reply to: Profusion

Flag on fire..?? Lol, what other way you’ll suggest to show the hatred of the policy and politics of the (burnt flag nation) in peaceful manners..?

It hurts..? Then change your “effing” local and foreign policies.!........ Be kind!

Is that too much to ask?

edit on 29-11-2016 by Syphone because: (no reason given)

link   
Draconian.

I'm in a backwards time machine.

I feel there is more to come.

Very sad

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Draconian? How is this a backward time machine?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm 70. I lived during the time it was a criminal act to intentionally damage the American Flag.

Before the law was changed to make it free speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Draconian.

Very sad

TBH I have come to expect this from the giant, dull witted, angry oompa-loompa that the minority of this country voted into the WH.

It is a little sickening though to see how many ignorant folks are willing to back him on his suggestions around dismantling things like the constitution and the first amendment...that are non-partisan, non-negotiable foundations of our democracy.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Draconian.

Very sad

TBH I have come to expect this from the giant, dull witted, angry oompa-loompa that the minority of this country voted into the WH.

It is a little sickening though to see how many ignorant folks are willing to back him on his suggestions around dismantling things like the constitution and the first amendment...that are non-partisan, non-negotiable foundations of our democracy.

It's more sickening to me that I had to sit through years of those very same posters ranting and raving about how the left was about to dismantle the 2nd and that the Amendments (all of them) are sacred and to be untouched.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I'm 70. I lived during the time it was a criminal act to intentionally damage the American Flag.

And you also lived to see CONSERVATIVE JUSTICES rule to protect that political expression.

Yes...backwards.

Justice Scalia @ the 8:07 mark

“If I were king, I wouldn’t go about letting people burn the American flag,”

“However, we have a First Amendment which says that the right of free speech shall not be abridged, and it is addressed, in particular to speech critical of the government.

I mean, that was the main kind of speech that tyrants would seek to suppress.”

“Burning the flag is a form of expression,”

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Burn Mexican flag = hate speech.

Burn American flag = free speech.

So who exactly decides these things?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

And you also lived to see CONSERVATIVE JUSTICES rule to protect that political expression.

Yes...backwards.

Time will tell.

From my viewpoint I'm seeing suggestions of personal freedoms slipping away.

Personal freedoms my generation and younger have fought for.

Not just this one.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Perhaps things would have been different under Hillary?

Oh, wait...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Perhaps things would have been different under Hillary?

Oh, wait...

But Hillary, But Hillary, But Hillary.

new topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join