It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I don't think anything as drastic as jail or loss of citizenship is required.

Maybe something more simple like:
"Anyone participating in the desecration of the symbols. flags, or emblems of the United States will not be subject to the rights and protections afforded by laws and statutes of that nation for the period of 10 minutes."

I think in the end it'll work itself out.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: introvert

So is it acceptable for a person who has served in the military to burn a flag?

I've never seen or even heard of someone in the military burning the flag of the country who's military they served in.

Do some research into the Vietnam protests.

Vets burned flags in protest.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
No, how about something more embarrassing? Thoughts? Here are a few I have, please add on if you like.

1. Travel around giving speeches in a speedo explaining how stupid they are for disrespecting flag, followed by and egg throwing contest and they are the target.

2. Mandate them to picking up trash along the highways naked with a sign on them that say, this is what happened when I disrespected the flag.

3. Send them to various prisons without clothing to give a speech about disrespecting the flag in a room full of sex offenders without any guards.

Your turn...
edit on 29-11-2016 by KnightFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: brutus61

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Profusion

While I think the flag should be respected and there are better ways to protest, I also believe one has the right to burn a flag if they choose.

In the end, it is nothing more than a symbol. Burning it does not hurt anyone and there is no victim.

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

There are many victims. Once disrespect is accepted and becomes the"norm" then any who believe in and have fought for what the flag represents are victims.

It's a symbol. There are no victims. What you are talking about is hurt feelings.

Do we jail or revoke citizenship over hurt feelings?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

How is jailing someone, or revoking their citizenship, for burning the flag honorable to the 1st amendment?

I never said they should be jailed or have their citizenship revoked.

A meager fine would be sufficient. Like a ticket for jaywalking.

The thing is, if we go back to criminalizing the burning of the flag (publicly) then I think we would see very quickly the number of flags being burnt in public drastically reduced.

Consider this, if burning an American flag is a criminal offense and the police are allowed to engage you for that offense (stop you, ID you, run your name through the database) then illegal immigrants would have an incentive not to burn the flag. That is, if the immigration laws are actually enforced as well.

edit on 11/29/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
How soon will saying something negative about Trump will get you imprisoned? I'm sure it's coming.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Loss of citizenship is a little steep but a fine and possible jail time is fine by me.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

How soon will saying something negative about Trump will get you imprisoned? I'm sure it's coming.

Doubtful, but look at Barack Obama and the IRS/Tea Party scandal.

Look at Dinesh D'Souza serving jail time for a crime that no one has ever served jail time for in this country, all because he made some anti-Obama / anti-left documentary films.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Yeah this is just a stunt to stiffen up your nationalism boners, fools.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I do not think it should be illegal and I am a Trump supporter. I think it should give police legal precedent to investigate the person for committing other crimes. It clearly gives the suspicion that the offender does not respect or regard the symbol of the nation and its laws.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I say a $500 fine and a weekend in jail.

link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I'll call you on that. What was the charge? Film making isn't illegal. I don't know if you are old enough to remember George Bush and the talk of sedition charges for speaking against the Iraqi war that all the republicans were for before they were against it just like Trump.

link   
I think we have plenty of other concerns than flag burners.

To waste time on such a thing is a distraction. It also boarders on fascism for Trump to be using this as a message.

How about figure out what will happen once you deport all the cheap labor keeping groceries and home prices low and increase the price of imports with tariffs. Prob could get a highschool senior to explain why that is a bad idea to do quickly.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: brutus61

While I think the flag should be respected and there are better ways to protest, I also believe one has the right to burn a flag if they choose.

In the end, it is nothing more than a symbol. Burning it does not hurt anyone and there is no victim.

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

There are many victims. Once disrespect is accepted and becomes the"norm" then any who believe in and have fought for what the flag represents are victims.

It's a symbol. There are no victims. What you are talking about is hurt feelings.

Do we jail or revoke citizenship over hurt feelings?

On the contrary, there are victims in the sense that the values we once stood for are being degraded and turned into a circus. When the country you(I) served is no longer allowed to represent it's own values then there are victims! The real citizens of the United States Of America!! No more pledging allegiance to our flag in schools. Illegal to have a Nativity scene in public places. That encroaches on the rights of the American citizens which qualifies as being victims even if we don't crying about it.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

The thing is, if we go back to criminalizing the burning of the flag (publicly) then I think we would see very quickly the number of flags being burnt in public drastically reduced.

I don't think we should curtail free speech.

Consider this, if burning an American flag is a criminal offense and the police are allowed to engage you for that offense (stop you, ID you, run your name through the database) then illegal immigrants would have an incentive not to burn the flag. That is, if the immigration laws are actually enforced as well.

What about American citizens?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

Loss of citizenship is a little steep but a fine and possible jail time is fine by me.

It's a slippery slope. What happens if you don't put your hand on your heart during the National Anthem at a Football or a Baseball game?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Ah, I see, as long as you perform a magic ritual first, burning a flag is okay.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: brutus61

On the contrary, there are victims in the sense that the values we once stood for are being degraded and turned into a circus.

Not everyone shares the same values.

When the country you(I) served is no longer allowed to represent it's own values then there are victims!

How does the flag represent our values?

No more pledging allegiance to our flag in schools. Illegal to have a Nativity scene in public places. That encroaches on the rights of the American citizens which qualifies as being victims even if we don't crying about it.

What rights are encroached on when someone burns a flag?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
A payable fine for desecrating the American flag in public I can definitely support. Losing citizenship should only be used as a punishment for people who are not yet US citizens/newly granted US citizens who also perform the same act.

YOU LIVE IN AMERICA. YOU have also agreed to honor the flag that represents the country you're living in.

You don't like America and burn American flags, do it in private. Or better yet go move to another country.

Do it in public, then I expect you should be fined and those who aren't citizens yet, deported. Simple. Don't be stupid. Act like a normal person and you'll be just fine.

I hate jackoffs who will do these sorts of things while taking advantage of the freedoms people like me provide you.
edit on 29-11-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Or if your a leftist or liberal any disgusting behavior is OK.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join