It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If someone can't manifest and vent-out by burning the flag then I am sure he might do lot worse things because he will end up in prison either way.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: RickinVa
this thread is pointless.

I am going to burn a damn flag in protest of this thread.

Make sure it's a rainbow flag so you can see how these 1st Amendment patriots act when it's a flag they feel represents them.

People would be upset. I doubt most would suggest it be illegal.

Hell, remember the Westboro Baptist Church?

The ones who demand the most tolerance are the most intolerant ones. I wouldn't be surprised to see them call for it to be illegal. If nothing else, they would definitely track you down and ruin your career over it.
edit on 29-11-2016 by LSU0408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: matafuchs
There is no 'right' to burn a flag. I mean, if it is covered under 'symbolic speech' what if I am pissed and my wife and light the car on fire? It is symbolic speech right? No but why not take that to the SCOTUS.

It is covered under political expression...As Justice Scalia points out, burning a flag is the near epitome of political expression.

No..Lighting a car on fire is not that.

Why would you abuse your own brain to defend nonsense...assuming you actually have an IQ over 40 and are just trying to be snarky.

So, am I cool burn boxes of the Koran and images of Mohammed in front of a mosque and expect no repercussions? Should not one Muslim be offended and want me to be punished for those actions?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Make sure it's a rainbow flag so you can see how these 1st Amendment patriots act when it's a flag they feel represents them.

Take a rainbow flag, put it next to a American flag, tie it together with a Mexican and rebel flag. then stuff it in a koran and bible and burn the whole thing

Because there are no objects that trump the freedom of expression, and if you are for one form and want to make illegal the other, then you are anti-American and its you personally who needs to be burned in order to MAGA

Ironically, because of how patriotic I am, I'm in favor of punishing anyone who burns the US Flag. So basically, I'm so patriotic I'm anti-American according to you... What a world. Our ancestors would be ashamed of the way things have turned out so far, IMO.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: rollanotherone

There is no 'right' to burn a flag. I mean, if it is covered under 'symbolic speech' what if I am pissed and my wife and light the car on fire? It is symbolic speech right? No but why not take that to the SCOTUS.

It is covered under political expression...As Justice Scalia points out, burning a flag is the near epitome of political expression.

Why would you abuse your own brain to defend nonsense...assuming you actually have an IQ over 40 and are just trying to be snarky.

So, am I cool burn boxes of the Koran and images of Mohammed in front of a mosque and expect no repercussions? Should not one Muslim be offended and want me to be punished for those actions?

Some crazy Muslim might attack you, but the government cannot punish you.

You're all too stupid it seems to understand The 1st Amendment.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Why are people slamming Trump for this?

Trump is the one discussing it
I am assuming you are also slamming Trump for pushing this?

Yes, both sides want to erode away speech and expression...we unite..we fight.

Unite under the one flag that's supposed to unite us, just to fight to be able to destroy that flag?

Ironic, innit.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: UKTruth

Is it wrong to point out facism? Sorry but the nazis banned flag burning. Just like you want also you agree with loss of citizenship also so yup I also think you are backing facist views.
I mean loss of citizemship for burning a flag? What's next loss of citizenship for disagreeing with your new savior?.

oooo Nazi's...

From 1968 to 1989 flag protection laws were in place in 48 of the 50 states and the vote to overturn these laws was a 5-4 vote in the SC. Are you saying those states were run by Nazi's and fascists and 4 of the 9 SCOTUS's were Nazi's? Or do you think you might be suffering from a little liberal melodrama syndrome?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Why not include this in your response? This is MY take on it. I was trying to show an example of how a person could try to use 'freedom of expression' in a different type of 'protest'.

Personally I see it used today as much as throwing around the word 'racist'. There was a time where burning a flag was a true symbol of protest and a person would do it to defy the government. If it is 'legal' to do it then it is just a waste of time and not to me a true protest.

What I was saying is that a person, if they wanted, could call burning anything freedom of expression. Judgments are based on perception and the way the law is interpreted at the time. In the late 1800's people were killed for burning or desecrating flags. Why is that not upheld? It was not included as freedom of expression then so why now? Don't start that low IQ # with me either ok?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Why are people slamming Trump for this?

Trump is the one discussing it
I am assuming you are also slamming Trump for pushing this?

Yes, both sides want to erode away speech and expression...we unite..we fight.

Trump is showing their hypocrisy the msm who drooled over crooked hillary and supported her
and this position on the flag are now flailing around demonizing him for it... hilarious

He isn't showing hypocracy..he is considering legislation. get real!

damn cultists...oh, Donald would never consider doing something so overtly anti-American.

Yes...he would. now get on board here or be considered completely irrelevant. freaking horseshoe fringe...100% equal to the most radicalized sjw/feminist

Do you see the irony there?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Take a rainbow flag, put it next to a American flag, tie it together with a Mexican and rebel flag. then stuff it in a koran and bible and burn the whole thing

Because there are no objects that trump the freedom of expression, and if you are for one form and want to make illegal the other, then you are anti-American and its you personally who needs to be burned in order to MAGA

Ironically, because of how patriotic I am, I'm in favor of punishing anyone who burns the US Flag. So basically, I'm so patriotic I'm anti-American according to you... What a world. Our ancestors would be ashamed of the way things have turned out so far, IMO.

That's not ironic. That is hypocritical.

link   
a reply to: slider1982

I agree, is always the element of violence behind flag burning and that is a fact.

link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: rollanotherone

Some crazy Muslim might attack you, but the government cannot punish you.

You're all too stupid it seems to understand The 1st Amendment.

The government can punish you if the correct laws are passed, just as laws in the past have existed.

link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Actually, you can be charged with 'inciting religious hatred'. Pretty screwed up huh? It is not the act but the reasoning behind it. Just like you can burn a flag but you can be arrested for 'creating a disturbance'. You are not charged with flag burning yuou can charged with the results.

edit on 11pm30pmf0000002016-11-29T13:05:18-06:000118 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on 11pm30pmf0000002016-11-29T13:06:30-06:000130 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Yes I think to ban any flag burning is anti freedom.
You advocate for people losing their citizenship for doing so sorry but that is against the 1st and you know it but like I said he could gas Mexicans and you would follow blindly.
I have seen only one trump supporter actually question what trump is saying well done to you who did this at least you are not a blind robot
Go thank Russia again eh?.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I'm just laughing at the fringe Authoritarian Fascists who actually want to make flag burning illegal.

They're the same type of people to say that the left want to limit free speech, while spewing this hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Well said. This just proves his support will back anything he says. I fear for your country I really do.
They are too blind to see he is talking anti freedom and they are accepting it

There are college campuses all over America that will take you in, give you hot cocoa, a safe space to cry in, a coloring book, and some crayons. You should make the flight, they are aimed at people that are controlled by a fear mongering media.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DisUglyBoyHere

I think they must be a little dim if they can not see their own hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Ironically, because of how patriotic I am, I'm in favor of punishing anyone who burns the US Flag.

patriotic over the ideals of the nation, of which the very first amendment and the whole reason this country was founded was the freedom of speech and expression
the literal first amendment.

What you are feeling then, when discussing how you are a fan of weakening the very main piller of the society isn't patriotism..its nationalism. it is finding a way to punish people who think differently than you and your view on what the country "should be" instead of how its designed.

Patriotism is good. nationalism is a sickness.

So basically, I'm so patriotic I'm anti-American according to you...

No, you aren't patriotic at all. you are anti-American because you are a nationalist.

What a world. Our ancestors would be ashamed of the way things have turned out so far, IMO.

if your ancestors are directly linked to the german Nazi party, then yes..they would be ashamed of Americans rights to free speech.

The founding fathers however would no doubt be quite happy with how we have rejected the idea of punishing those who speak their mind.

Flag burning is reprehensible. the only thing more disgusting than those who do that are the politicians who are trying to outlaw it and their cheerleaders.

link   

a reply to: Hazardous1408

Actually, you can be charged with 'inciting religious hatred'. Pretty screwed up huh?

You're comparing incitement to free speech.

That's been covered already.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Removed antagonistic response.

link   
How authoritarian of him and his supporters.

Burning a flag is not usually an expression of hate of America it is an expression of disgust towards the government, usually in reference to the belief that the government is in violation of a freedom or acting against the will of the People. It is an act of political speech which is protected by the Constitution.

I understand that some people feel disrespected by the act. However in America, we don't protect feelings with laws.

Right?

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join