It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Is it wrong to point out facism? Sorry but the nazis banned flag burning. Just like you want also you agree with loss of citizenship also so yup I also think you are backing facist views.
I mean loss of citizemship for burning a flag? What's next loss of citizenship for disagreeing with your new savior?.
edit on 29-11-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Blah Blah Blah...That time is ending.

Nope. We shall continue to call you fascists until the day the last of us dies.

Get used to it...

Yep you should.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
There is no 'right' to burn a flag. I mean, if it is covered under 'symbolic speech' what if I am pissed and my wife and light the car on fire? It is symbolic speech right? No but why not take that to the SCOTUS.

With the new Senate Structure it could also pass if they decided to pass a bill like in 06 that was shot down by 1 vote.

Personally I see it used today as much as throwing around the word 'racist'. There was a time where burning a flag was a true symbol of protest and a person would do it to defy the government. If it is 'legal' to do it then it is just a waste of time and not to me a true protest.

Trump really really knows how to poke people...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jennyfrenzy
a reply to: ColdWisdom

The Supreme Court ruled that burning the flag is considered symbolic speech, and is protected by the First Amendment.

Donald Trump can not just override the Supreme Courts decision.

Facts and case summary for Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989). Flag burning constitutes symbolic speech that is protected by the First Amendment.

The majority of the Court, according to Justice William Brennan, agreed with Johnson and held that flag burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the First Amendment. The majority noted that freedom of speech protects actions that society may find very offensive, but society's outrage alone is not justification for suppressing free speech.

Facts and Case Summary - Texas v. Johnson

Maybe he can use his pen and phone.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nobunaga

she introduced a bill to criminalize flag burning. this is something donald is doing, so if they criticize him, they have to criticize her too

First tell me why Trump supporters think Hillary is their standard?

Then tell me if you can spot the difference in the bill she proposed.

en.wikipedia.org...

The law would have prohibited burning or otherwise destroying and damaging the US flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism.

destroying or damaging a U.S. flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite or produce imminent violence

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Blah Blah Blah...That time is ending.

Nope. We shall continue to call you fascists until the day the last of us dies.

Get used to it...

Yep you should.

Good luck in the new world, where normal behaviour and accountability for ones actions become the bedrock of society once again.
I don't expect you to stop screaming like a baby. It's what libtards do.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I feel ashamed he is from the UK tbh so I apologise.
He is a rusin plant tbh. He thanks Russia for trump winning.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: nobunaga

she introduced a bill to criminalize flag burning. this is something donald is doing, so if they criticize him, they have to criticize her too

First tell me why Trump supporters think Hillary is their standard?

Then tell me if you can spot the difference in the bill she proposed.

en.wikipedia.org...

The law would have prohibited burning or otherwise destroying and damaging the US flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism.

destroying or damaging a U.S. flag with the primary purpose and intent to incite or produce imminent violence

I'm sorry, have you seen a proposed bill from Trump or are you comparing a bill to a tweet? I am assuming it's not the latter, as that would make you a moron.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

I think jail and loss of citizenship is a fair punishment for burning the flag.

I hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

Holy SH*&! The loony fascists are coming out of the wood-work to Support Trump.

No...Burning the flag is free political expression protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution of The United States of America.

It is EVERY Americans right to demonstrate their displeasure, disagreement and even anger with their government.

If you think otherwise...take that BS to North Korea...Or in your case..just stay the eff out of our country...cuz we are Free.

The "Consequences" of Freedom of Speech are a Free Democracy.

You liberals are....

For effs sake..check the page before where Justice Scalia explains only "Kings" and "Tyrants" would oppress free speech and outlaw the burning of flags.

"Liberals"???....Your posts are burps of BS.

JUSTICE SCALIA
“If I were king, I wouldn’t go about letting people burn the American flag,”

“However, we have a First Amendment which says that the right of free speech shall not be abridged, and it is addressed, in particular to speech critical of the government.

I mean, that was the main kind of speech that tyrants would seek to suppress.”

“Burning the flag is a form of expression,”

edit on 29-11-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

I feel ashamed he is from the UK tbh so I apologise.
He is a rusin plant tbh. He thanks Russia for trump winning.

He's not British he just lives here.
I heard him say that before.

Probably from some former soviet state.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

One of my most favorite things to do back when I was a kid was listen to my grandma (90 years old) tell me stories about WWII (she was a nurse and my grandpa flew a B-47 during the war) and my uncles to tell me stories about Vietnam. I played some music by The Andrews Sisters on my phone for my grandma the other day and her face lit up, she started singing the songs, and even started to dance. She said it took her back to the day the war was over and people were in the streets dancing and singing while The Andrews Sisters blared over the PA system on the base. I love to hear old people tell war stories.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I would prefer leaders that over throw foreign governments for personal and corporate gain be jailed before a flag burners.

I consider it a bigger issue.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I think jail and loss of citizenship is a fair punishment for burning the flag.

I hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

Holy SH*&! The loony fascists are coming out of the wood-work to Support Trump.

No...Burning the flag is free political expression protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution of The United States of America.

It is EVERY Americans right to demonstrate their displeasure, disagreement and even anger with their government.

If you think otherwise...take that BS to North Korea...Or in your case..just stay the eff out of our country...cuz we are Free.

The "Consequences" of Freedom of Speech are a Free Democracy.

You liberals are....

For effs sake..check the page before where Justice Scalia explains only "Kings" and "Tyrants" would oppress free speech and outlaw the burning of flags.

"Liberals"???....Your posts are burps of BS.

I do believe the vote to overturn the Flag protection Act was 5-4 in the Supreme Court, so pretty close.
Hopefully the new Supreme Court will pass a new bill.
And yes, it is primarily libtards who burn flags and cry about fweedom of speech to exonerate their pathetic behaviour.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Why are people slamming Trump for this?

Trump is the one discussing it
I am assuming you are also slamming Trump for pushing this?

Yes, both sides want to erode away speech and expression...we unite..we fight.

Unite under the one flag that's supposed to unite us, just to fight to be able to destroy that flag?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Trump doesn't want to heal the wounds of this nation, he wants to continue exploiting them so that he can misdirect us.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Phew I'm glad he isn't he would be an embarrassment.
Maybe a name change to RUSSIAtruth is in order.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Why are people slamming Trump for this?

Trump is the one discussing it
I am assuming you are also slamming Trump for pushing this?

Yes, both sides want to erode away speech and expression...we unite..we fight.

Unite under the one flag that's supposed to unite us, just to fight to be able to destroy that flag?

You can stop crying as well your preference is the Confederate Flag.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
There is no 'right' to burn a flag. I mean, if it is covered under 'symbolic speech' what if I am pissed and my wife and light the car on fire? It is symbolic speech right? No but why not take that to the SCOTUS.

It is covered under political expression...As Justice Scalia points out, burning a flag is the near epitome of political expression.

No..Lighting a car on fire is not that.

Why would you abuse your own brain to defend nonsense...assuming you actually have an IQ over 40 and are just trying to be snarky.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I support Trump all the way on most things, but I think this is a bit over the top. It would be much better for Trump as president to concentrate on rebuilding this country's economy and get people working for good money again and get America back to the days of good self respect and responsibility and pride building attitudes, and then people won't be wanting to burn the flag. OF course there will always be malcontents though.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I've always found it very odd, that someone despises a country, that gives them so much Freedom to voice their reasons to despise that country. Are we perfect? No. Not by a long shot. But many of those burning a U.S. flag, are doing so for their 15 minutes in the spotlight and if you asked them what they were protesting, they'd have no idea. They claim they're burning a symbol of slavery and oppression, but Conveniently ignore the flags of Saudi Arabia or Turkey.
Or North Korea, Iran...........

Wanna see some dumbass hypocrites? The girl is screaming about several different things, but you'll notice she mentions Capitalism.....while wearing a leather jacket, name brand shoes, expensive scarf ...and checking her IPhone. All her SJW friends who are lighting it, have nice backpacks, shoes, wristbands, hoodies....
Protected little morons in their own protected little world.

Oh dear. That video. Every time I see it, it makes me want to buy her a one way ticket to Iran. They love burning our flag over there. And, isn't the scarf she's wearing supposed to cover her whole head?

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join