It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It is just a symbol. Burning a flag doesn't physically hurt anybody except maybe their feelings. It's protected under our right to free speech. If burning the flag is going to be a crime, he might as well make flying the flag in the rain or having it touch the ground a crime.

All we need is this country to send more non-violent citizens to our already over-crowded jails!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: LSU0408

The nazis said the same about their flag. Sorry but if you want freedom it should be allowed....Its only a flag...

The Nazis were unified, too. Just because they valued their flag like patriotic Americans do and wanted to protect it, doesn't mean patriotic Americans are Nazis for wanting to protect their flag at all costs.

I wonder what would happen if a white guy jumped up on a table in the school cafeteria at lunch time and screamed "n*gger." It's only a word...

No they weren't. The Nazi's claimed the national elections in Germany in 1930 over the sitting party and by 1932 when they became the largest party they still didn't have a majority.

link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Loss of citizenship !!! I mean this is scary what next eh?.

link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: starfoxxx

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Why are people slamming Trump for this?

Trump is the one discussing it
I am assuming you are also slamming Trump for pushing this?

Yes, both sides want to erode away speech and expression...we unite..we fight.

Trump is showing their hypocrisy the msm who drooled over crooked hillary and supported her
and this position on the flag are now flailing around demonizing him for it... hilarious

He isn't showing hypocracy..he is considering legislation. get real!

No hes not watch he's just trolling you idiots

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A long time ago, back in ancient history when I was a child, a very valuable lesson was imparted to me by a visiting Sunday school teacher at church. This man stood in the center of the room, holding a brand new Bible. He stood there in silence for several minutes, just looking around, making eye contact with each of us.

When he had our attention, he opened up that shiny new Bible...and without warning, proceeded to rip it to shreds right before our incredulous eyes. Amid the shocked gasps and wringing hands of fifteen horrified kids, he reduced that Bible to confetti and showered the floor with the pieces. He never spoke one word while he was doing it, either.

After he cut up the cover with scissors and tossed it on the floor too, he finally spoke. He asked us what we were so upset about. We gave the obvious answer: he desecrated the holiest of books, the word of god; something that I personally had been told by my parents would get a person struck by lightning and killed, followed by eternal damnation.

He looked around at all of us and then he smiled. He said, "Why does it matter? Do you need a book to connect you to god? If you do, then you are weak in your faith." He went on to explain that the Bible is just a book. Just paper and ink and translated text. It is a symbol of faith, but it does not embody it in any way. A person's faith lives inside their heart, and they could destroy every single copy of the Bible that exists on the planet and still that faith would remain, strong and unwavering just the same. The words and lessons of the Bible live inside the hearts of the believers...not the other way around.

I am not a christian, nor was I even back then, but that message got through to me and I've never forgotten it. And when people start talking about things like burning the American flag and become outraged by it, I always remember that lesson.

Our constitution affords us many freedoms, and one of them is the right to speak our minds; by both words and actions...even if one of those actions is torching symbolic items of patriotism. We may not agree with it, but we don't get to change whatever we want in the constitution just because we don't like it...and neither can Donald Trump, no matter how vocal he is about his opinion that our right to free speech should be restricted.

Is the allegiance of the people in this country stored solely in all those red, white and blue swaths of material? Are we only Americans as long as there's a flag to prove it? If all the flags in existence were to be suddenly destroyed, would that mean we could no longer claim ourselves to be Americans? If so, then we are inherently weak in our patriotism. We are pledging allegiance to a few yards of fabric rather than to the ideals and principles of the country it represents. It is simply a symbol. America is supposed to be in our hearts, not something that can be reduced to existing only within those stars and bars.

Let them burn as many flags as they want. To the truly patriotic, it should not matter. It is just a flag...it is not America itself.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Maybe something more simple like: "Anyone participating in the desecration of the symbols. flags, or emblems of the United States will not be subject to the rights and protections afforded by laws and statutes of that nation for the period of 10 minutes."

How about that for any crime or perceived crime? The 10 minute vigilante. It could become a TV show also, sort of like Cops.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Depends on the situation i suppose, i mean obviously flags on buildings or in public places should never be burned because it amounts to vandalism and destruction of property.

But if someone owns an American flag, or any other flag for that matter, and chooses to burn it, and you do so on your own property, that's pretty much there own business as long as there are no health and safety concerns.

Not something i would ever encourage but if you are free to do as you wish then who the hell are the government or POTUS to tell you otherwise?

End of the day people who do these things simply tarnish there own image.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: introvert

It is just a symbol. Burning a flag doesn't physically hurt anybody except maybe their feelings. It's protected under our right to free speech. If burning the flag is going to be a crime, he might as well make flying the flag in the rain or having it touch the ground a crime.

All we need is this country to send more non-violent citizens to our already over-crowded jails!

Agreed. We do not need more people in jail for doing something like burning a flag.

What we should do is continue to engage in a discussion in ultra-nationalism and how dangerous that can be to the health of a nation.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Justice Scalia @ the 8:07 mark

“If I were king, I wouldn’t go about letting people burn the American flag,”

“However, we have a First Amendment which says that the right of free speech shall not be abridged, and it is addressed, in particular to speech critical of the government.

I mean, that was the main kind of speech that tyrants would seek to suppress.”

“Burning the flag is a form of expression,”

Scalia is turning over in his grave at the election of Donald Trump. ..He fits Scalia's definition of Tyrant perfectly.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Why are people slamming Trump for this?

Trump is the one discussing it
I am assuming you are also slamming Trump for pushing this?

Yes, both sides want to erode away speech and expression...we unite..we fight.

Trump is showing their hypocrisy the msm who drooled over crooked hillary and supported her
and this position on the flag are now flailing around demonizing him for it... hilarious

He isn't showing hypocracy..he is considering legislation. get real!

No hes not watch he's just trolling you idiots

okay. you realize he isn't some 22 year old 4chan troll
70 year old man..trolling.
No, he is setting up an agenda

He wasn't trolling when he said he will stack the SCOTUS, nor building a wall, or stopping immigration from certain countries, he isn't trolling in the idea that he will be POTUS, nor is he trolling about destroying earth science from nasa's budget, removal of regulations, etc

he isn't a troll, he is a president elect and his words now hold meaning and power. He is discussing a direct assault on the 1st amendment. Do you see this as awesome?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

What "consequences" are there for which "forms of free speech" in the United States?

You're lying to defend your cult leader.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Right. I can totally see how some campuses having objectionable practices with regard to things like free speech and cultural appropriation is just the same as the government punishing free speech by stripping you of your citizenship!
edit on 29-11-2016 by JohnnyElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

What "consequences" are there for which "forms of free speech" in the United States?

You're lying to defend your cult leader.

OK, try threatening the president's life then and see where that gets you.
Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want, to whoever you want, without consequences.
Only mentally ill liberals think that they can say whatever they want and express themselves however they want.

If and when the first flag burner gets cuffed and carted off to jail, I will celebrate with a nice cold beer.
edit on 29/11/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
Just another day of 5D chess, I truly think he is worlds greatest troll.

wording in small, highlights are "Hillary Clinton" and "100k fine with 1 year in jail"

Agreed, and the MSM will swallow it hook, line, and sinker before doing their homework and use his tweet as another example of Far Right Alternative Nationalist Fascism out of control. Until that is someone points out the same fact that you did, that Hillary cosponsored the Flag Protection Act back in 2005, not only that but in comparison The Donald only tweeted and isn't in office yet compared to what Hillary tried while in office.

The Donald or his team meanwhile throw a fit and point out another prime example of left wing MSM hypocrisy again, the Don Lemon robot gets stuck in another logic loop while arguing with a right wing guest on this point tonight on CNN and they have to cut to break again, and the MSM gets more egg on it's face in the end.

If Trump really lucks out far left wingers, anarchists, students on campus etc etc will start burning flags at an even more exponential rate in protest to his tweet in plan view of Alt Right News sites or Youtubers to record as an example of how unrational and America hating these people are.

5 D Chess indeed

edit on 29-11-2016 by Falenor because: grammer

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Yes, threats are not freedom of speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Because you are anti freedom and in love with Trump. He can do no wrong in your eyes eh?.
Sad really that you will never be criticAl of him no matter what he does.
A blind sheep you are following blindly.
edit on 29-11-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Your analogy is... Sh*t...

Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want, to whoever you want, without consequences.

Actually that's exactly what it means.

Ever heard of the KKK? NOI? WBC?

It's always good to see the tolerant right stigmatise mental health.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
I think jail and loss of citizenship is a fair punishment for burning the flag.

I hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

Holy SH*&! The loony fascists are coming out of the wood-work to Support Trump.

No...Burning the flag is free political expression protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution of The United States of America.

It is EVERY Americans right to demonstrate their displeasure, disagreement and even anger with their government.

If you think otherwise...take that BS to North Korea...Or in your case..just stay the eff out of our country...cuz we are Free.

The "Consequences" of Freedom of Speech are a Free Democracy.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
www.washingtonexaminer.com... /flashback-clinton-introduced-bill-to-criminalize-flag-burning/article/2608366

hahaha yall taking this too seriously

trump did this so the MSM condemns hillary

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

she introduced a bill to criminalize flag burning. this is something donald is doing, so if they criticize him, they have to criticize her too

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: UKTruth
I think jail and loss of citizenship is a fair punishment for burning the flag.

I hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

Holy SH*&! The loony fascists are coming out of the wood-work to Support Trump.

No...Burning the flag is free political expression protected under the First Amendment of the Constitution of The United States of America.

It is EVERY Americans right to demonstrate their displeasure, disagreement and even anger with their government.

If you think otherwise...take that BS to North Korea...Or in your case..just stay the eff out of our country...cuz we are Free.

The "Consequences" of Freedom of Speech are a Free Democracy.

You liberals are going to have to get over your sickness that makes you believe the world revolves around you and you can do anything you want. You of course are going to scream 'fascist!' every time you come face to face with new boundaries that frame a normal society.
You have no idea what freedom is because you spend your lives telling everyone else they are fascists or racists if they don't think how you want them to think and do what you want them to do.
That time is ending. Get used to it, and embrace normality.

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join