It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Do like I do sometimes.

Go to a nursing and talk to some of the older veterans. A lot of them have no close family anymore.

They will love your company and will have marvelous stories to tell you... some good..some not so good. You might even make a new friend or two.

Ask them about their service to their country.. that one so simple gesture will brighten an old veterans heart like nothing else can... they come alive when they tell you their service stories... you can even see a tiny twinkle of life come back most times.

You do that, like I have done on numerous occasions and will continue to do in the future and then go out and burn a flag if you want. That is your right, but I will pass.

When you are burning what you perceive as a symbol of a country you are unhappy with, it is the same symbol that too many have given their lives for and most vets see as something completely different.

It has been said time and time again:

People have rights.....but your rights stop where another persons rights begin.

If you know that something you are going to do is highly offensive to a very particular group of people, but you do it anyways just because it is "your right"... then by all means, please do so.

But also remember, if you choose to burn the flag even though you know it is highly offensive to a large group of people, then not only are you showing us you know how to use your rights.... you are showing us the moral fibers that make you what you are.

I have nothing else to say about this issue. Peace.

edit on R372016-11-29T11:37:03-06:00k3711Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R452016-11-29T11:45:33-06:00k4511Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think jail and loss of citizenship is a fair punishment for burning the flag. I hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
I think jail and loss of citizenship is a fair punishment for burning the flag. I hope he can push this through and send a message to the people that do this that like many forms of free speech, there are consequences.

Push this this through what? You think he should spend time bringing this back up in the supreme court?

Thank god a president can't just push things through.

How about burning an Obama head? That is literally a direct threat under the law that they allow as freedom of speech.
edit on 29-11-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: SaturnFX

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Why are people slamming Trump for this?

Trump is the one discussing it
I am assuming you are also slamming Trump for pushing this?

Yes, both sides want to erode away speech and expression...we unite..we fight.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Vasa Croe

This part:

The argument became, as it always does, about the fact that nobody did what the law said and nobody was held responsible for not doing so and it would have been too hard to finally uphold a law, similar to gun laws, so we changed it to make it easier and not have to deal with it.

I contested the reason why the law went away not that it actually existed.

Ok...I see what you're saying. But it also shows that nobody upheld it, including the Supreme Court and even that was solely decided by Scalia's vote and went against Congress' feelings as evidenced by their passing another federal law against it directly after, only to be struck down again.

Doesn't sound much like the will of the people everyone is crying about with the popular vote in the election and all.

link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Eh. You could make that same argument about your right to be politically incorrect or even just flat out racist and offending some minority group. It's all the same.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

Emotions have nothing to do with the law. I can burn it on my front lawn if I want.

Must be nice. If I burn leaves in my back yard I'm breaking the law. Maybe I should say I'm exercising my First Amendment right to protest Fall.

Sounds more of a local ordinance dealing with controlled fires.

link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Vasa Croe

This part:

The argument became, as it always does, about the fact that nobody did what the law said and nobody was held responsible for not doing so and it would have been too hard to finally uphold a law, similar to gun laws, so we changed it to make it easier and not have to deal with it.

I contested the reason why the law went away not that it actually existed.

Ok...I see what you're saying. But it also shows that nobody upheld it, including the Supreme Court and even that was solely decided by Scalia's vote and went against Congress' feelings as evidenced by their passing another federal law against it directly after, only to be struck down again.

Doesn't sound much like the will of the people everyone is crying about with the popular vote in the election and all.

SCOTUS is supposed to be above partisan politics. That's the point. Congress' opinion on the matter is probably the least credible government opinion on something pertaining to the government you can quote. Congress' opinion is the most partisan decided opinion in the government. Not to mention fickle. It changes every 2 or 4 years as the majority party changes.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: introvert

Once you start issuing preapproved ways to protest your defeating the point of protesting

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
this thread is pointless.

I am going to burn a damn flag in protest of this thread.

Make sure it's a rainbow flag so you can see how these 1st Amendment patriots act when it's a flag they feel represents them.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's really astounding that the symbol of the flag trumps freedom of speech and private property rights.

Also the law still applies to flag burners. They still get a public arson or endangerment charge without proper permits and safety regulations.

They still can be charged with creating a riot.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Make sure it's a rainbow flag so you can see how these 1st Amendment patriots act when it's a flag they feel represents them.

People would be upset. I doubt most would suggest it be illegal.

Hell, remember the Westboro Baptist Church?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Hillary Clinton co-sponsored a bill in 2005 to make damage of a flag and flag-burning illegal, with penalties including prison and fines.

Trump is showing their hypocrisy the msm who drooled over crooked hillary and supported her
and this position on the flag are now flailing around demonizing him for it... hilarious

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408

Take a rainbow flag, put it next to a American flag, tie it together with a Mexican and rebel flag. then stuff it in a koran and bible and burn the whole thing

Because there are no objects that trump the freedom of expression, and if you are for one form and want to make illegal the other, then you are anti-American and its you personally who needs to be burned in order to MAGA

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Trump is showing their hypocrisy the msm who drooled over crooked hillary and supported her
and this position on the flag are now flailing around demonizing him for it... hilarious

He isn't showing hypocracy..he is considering legislation. get real!

damn cultists...oh, Donald would never consider doing something so overtly anti-American.

Yes...he would. now get on board here or be considered completely irrelevant. freaking horseshoe fringe...100% equal to the most radicalized sjw/feminist

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: LSU0408

The nazis said the same about their flag. Sorry but if you want freedom it should be allowed....Its only a flag...

The Nazis were unified, too. Just because they valued their flag like patriotic Americans do and wanted to protect it, doesn't mean patriotic Americans are Nazis for wanting to protect their flag at all costs.

I wonder what would happen if a white guy jumped up on a table in the school cafeteria at lunch time and screamed "n*gger." It's only a word...

link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
I don't think anything as drastic as jail or loss of citizenship is required.

Maybe something more simple like:
"Anyone participating in the desecration of the symbols. flags, or emblems of the United States will not be subject to the rights and protections afforded by laws and statutes of that nation for the period of 10 minutes."

I think in the end it'll work itself out.

Wow man . What a brilliant idea. Pure genius. But better make it 10 seconds. Just to be fair. I doubt anyone would get to 10 mins.

link   

Well said. This just proves his support will back anything he says. I fear for your country I really do.
They are too blind to see he is talking anti freedom and they are accepting it
edit on 29-11-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: LSU0408

Most likely it is a crime to light something on fire in public without a permit and safety regulations.

In order to make your statement true with classical liberal ideology our forefathers inspired you would never be able to buy and own a flag.

The flag as a symbol does not trump personal liberty and private property rights. If it does its being used as propaganda against the constitution.

What happens with a flag you bought and destroyed on private property is a different story.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

edit on 29-11-2016 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join