It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Flags have proper handling rules, if a flag touches the ground it's a symbol of defamation, and if memory serves me right, a flag can be burned as a symbol to respect it, so this will go nowhere, he needs to consult the military or scouts for more info.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: RickinVa
Said to someone else:

"Jail, fines, loss of citizenship, lynching they are ALL punishments. The point is that one shouldn't be punished for expressing themselves, even if you disagree with the expression. This isn't about severity of the punishments. It's about punishing someone AT ALL for this. If you took that the other way then you TOTALLY missed my entire point and that is on you."

Keep on talking:

"the crazy Muslims who will lynch you if you portray Mohammad in a bad light."

I will keep reminding you of what you said just to watch you squirm and deflect.

Just the fact that someone can even remotely go out on that limb to compare flag desecration to the desecration of someone's deity is a YUGE stretch of the imagination.

edit on R412016-11-29T10:41:01-06:00k4111Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Go ahead. I'm not ashamed of what I said. I STILL believe that anyone who wants to punish a flag burning sounds like a religious kook. Though you ARE going back on my list of people I'm not responding to in this thread since you can't wrap your head around the nuances of my argument and instead want to sound like a parrot repeating the same non-point over and over again.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

I KNOW WHAT THE HELL I SAID. Im not denying it. Im no punk b*tch. I dont read inbetween the lines so you can go sod off for all I care and agree to disagree. One thing I don't do is getting into pissing matches with people I don't know or care about. I said what I said, you disagree, good for you. Thanks for letting me know. Dont try to tell me what I did. I know exactly what I said. Sod off.

ok bro
thats enough of an answer

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Go ahead. I'm not ashamed of what I said. Though you ARE going back on my list of people I'm not responding to in this thread since you can't wrap your head around the nuances of my argument and instead want to sound like a parrot repeating the same non-point over and over again.

Don't have too my friend...you said it all:

See ya later tater... you said what you said but didn't mean what you typed.

bye bye

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
this thread is pointless.

I am going to burn a damn flag in protest of this thread.
edit on R432016-11-29T10:43:43-06:00k4311Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

a reply to: Vasa Croe

Ok let's put it this way. Someone who wants to punish someone for desecrating (read: public burning) the flag sounds just like a crazy Muslim who wants to lynch someone for desecrating Mohammad. There happy? Can we move on from silly semantics arguments and your emotional appeals now? Or am I right about your argument having no substance?

So there's no in between for you? Punishment=lynching? I don't recall seeing lynching or death in the tweet or really anyone but you mentioning it in this respect.

And you say MY views are extreme?

Sure...I have plenty of substance. Apparently it is the type that you are unable to understand.

Jail, fines, loss of citizenship, lynching they are ALL punishments. The point is that one shouldn't be punished for expressing themselves, even if you disagree with the expression. This isn't about severity of the punishments. It's about punishing someone AT ALL for this. If you took that the other way then you TOTALLY missed my entire point and that is on you.

I get it...your point was to show an extreme and draw a reaction by your statement. You're emotional.

That would be equivalent to me saying a kid should have their hands cut off if they steal. I'm not that extreme.

Someone pissing on the very symbol of the country they chose to come to is disrespectful to all those that died for it. I understand you don't care about that and don't understand it, even after being a veteran. Maybe you don't have a deep sense of country or respect for symbols of freedom...I don't know what your story is.

I can say that I think burning our flag should have consequences. Hell...it was pointed out earlier in the thread that HRC wanted extreme consequences for it and outlined them in a bill.

Talk and speak and protest freely all you want or anyone wants. Burning our flag is different for me, and a lot of others. Like I said previously in the thread, I don't think you could find a more prominent symbol of freedom that the US flag in the world but yeah....let's burn that mother f$#ker!

I would think, as liberals are the ones complaining the most about Trump and his flag burning comments, that they would try to unify and hold the symbol of freedom in higher regards, but alas....they simply burn it because....freedom.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
every time i mail a letter my postage stamp is all ways upside down www.cafepress.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

YES it is disrespectful, but our 1st Amendment is clear on this. Not to mention the various rulings throughout American history that uphold this. Burning a flag is protected free speech. You don't have to LIKE the action. Nor do you have to like the person who does it, but DAMMIT trying to punish them legally for it is unamerican! I'm standing up for my 1st Amendment rights. Not because I want to actually go out and burn a flag.

You admit that you don't know me yet have the gall to say I don't understand the flag's importance as a symbol. Get off your arrogant horse. I understand it maybe even better than you do as a history scholar, but I can put aside that understanding because I understand the importance of the 1st Amendment better.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Aren't our flags made in China or Taiwan?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Trump is basically a troll. This just another of his posts he'll use to start drama so he can sit and watch.

In a day or two he'll be supporting the right to burn flags.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

YES it is disrespectful, but our 1st Amendment is clear on this. Not to mention the various rulings throughout American history that uphold this. Burning a flag is protected free speech. You don't have to LIKE the action. Nor do you have to like the person who does it, but DAMMIT trying to punish them legally for it is unamerican! I'm standing up for my 1st Amendment rights. Not because I want to actually go out and burn a flag.

Like I said... go burn a flag in front of a bunch of veterans.

Being charged with a crime will be the least of your worries.

Hell... just walk into any AMVET or VFW building and burn a flag... that is your constitutional right. Let us know what legal charges are levied against you.

Good luck.

edit on R522016-11-29T10:52:12-06:00k5211Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside
Flags have proper handling rules, if a flag touches the ground it's a symbol of defamation, and if memory serves me right, a flag can be burned as a symbol to respect it, so this will go nowhere, he needs to consult the military or scouts for more info.

I think the main argument is that it is protected under US law now...the right to burn the flag.

It appears most are under the impression it was always this way and it wasn'the.

The argument became, as it always does, about the fact that nobody did what the law said and nobody was held responsible for not doing so and it would have been too hard to finally uphold a law, similar to gun laws, so we changed it to make it easier and not have to deal with it.

Wussification is going to ruin the US eventually.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Ok let's put it this way. Someone who wants to punish someone for desecrating (read: public burning) the flag sounds just like a crazy Muslim who wants to lynch someone for desecrating Mohammad. There happy? Can we move on from silly semantics arguments and your emotional appeals now? Or am I right about your argument having no substance?

So there's no in between for you? Punishment=lynching? I don't recall seeing lynching or death in the tweet or really anyone but you mentioning it in this respect.

And you say MY views are extreme?

Sure...I have plenty of substance. Apparently it is the type that you are unable to understand.

Jail, fines, loss of citizenship, lynching they are ALL punishments. The point is that one shouldn't be punished for expressing themselves, even if you disagree with the expression. This isn't about severity of the punishments. It's about punishing someone AT ALL for this. If you took that the other way then you TOTALLY missed my entire point and that is on you.

I get it...your point was to show an extreme and draw a reaction by your statement. You're emotional.

That would be equivalent to me saying a kid should have their hands cut off if they steal. I'm not that extreme.

Someone pissing on the very symbol of the country they chose to come to is disrespectful to all those that died for it. I understand you don't care about that and don't understand it, even after being a veteran. Maybe you don't have a deep sense of country or respect for symbols of freedom...I don't know what your story is.

I can say that I think burning our flag should have consequences. Hell...it was pointed out earlier in the thread that HRC wanted extreme consequences for it and outlined them in a bill.

Talk and speak and protest freely all you want or anyone wants. Burning our flag is different for me, and a lot of others. Like I said previously in the thread, I don't think you could find a more prominent symbol of freedom that the US flag in the world but yeah....let's burn that mother f$#ker!

I would think, as liberals are the ones complaining the most about Trump and his flag burning comments, that they would try to unify and hold the symbol of freedom in higher regards, but alas....they simply burn it because....freedom.

I would hope to God (if you believe in one) or have reason in thought you would understand the danger of taking a symbol too far. Symbols and idols are ways to control people.

America and it's ideology are far more important than the flag.

We are so off coarse this whole issue is a complete distraction from actual issues involving the constitution and governance.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That is a bull# story. I posted the Supreme Court ruling and discussion already in the thread and that issue wasn't part of it.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So the dimwit gives us yet another example of why he's unfit for office. He is just too damn stupid to be president. The SCOTUS has already ruled that flag burning if free speech. But we already know he wants to do away with free speech and the press it should be fun watching the rednecks who put him into office start crying when he starts passing laws against assault rifles. Any other freedoms you people want to give up?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Difficult subject

I think if you want to burn something representing the worst part of America..print out a picture of Uncle Sam (authoritarian prick anyhow). The flag has flown above left and right politicians, in peace, war, as a sign of unity and division. the flag is just a flag of the concept of liberty and freedom.

hanging it upside down is a good way to show a concern about the country. burning it simply shows you are a piece of human feces.

punishment for expression? well, if I can tolerate the Westboro Baptist Church with their bile, I can tolerate some hipster doing their nonsense..but all need to get on board. the flag isn't a left or right thing, its a us thing...and flag burners are as much bitching about the right and its whatever..pro-military stance, as they are burning the idea of lgbtq acceptance and freedom of expression..

link   

originally posted by: anotherside

I think the main argument is that it is protected under US law now...the right to burn the flag.

It appears most are under the impression it was always this way and it wasn'the.

The argument became, as it always does, about the fact that nobody did what the law said and nobody was held responsible for not doing so and it would have been too hard to finally uphold a law, similar to gun laws, so we changed it to make it easier and not have to deal with it.

Wussification is going to ruin the US eventually.

Really?

Slaves were not always free, woman couldn't vote or have bank accounts, schools were segregated, children could work in coal mines.

If you want to form a solid argument it's not based on having had better morality at the time the flag was considered sacred.

In fact in Ww1 and 2 Blacks fought came back and had to eat around back in mess halls after everyone else ate.

edit on 29-11-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: RickinVa

Said to someone else:

"Jail, fines, loss of citizenship, lynching they are ALL punishments. The point is that one shouldn't be punished for expressing themselves, even if you disagree with the expression. This isn't about severity of the punishments. It's about punishing someone AT ALL for this. If you took that the other way then you TOTALLY missed my entire point and that is on you."

Keep on talking:

I will keep reminding you of what you said just to watch you squirm and deflect.

Just the fact that someone can even remotely go out on that limb to compare flag desecration to the desecration of someone's deity is a YUGE stretch of the imagination.

Talking about YUGE stretches of the imagination, who told you Mohammed was a deity? In the Islamic faith Mohammed is a prophet, the deity is Allah which is the direct equivalent of the Christian God. Did you not know that?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I don't know..

I agree that someone should be able to express themselves however they see fit, flag burning included.

But the act of burning the flag shows such contempt for one's own country. At the very least you should be barred from holding a government job or public office if caught disrespecting the flag.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join