It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump suggests jail, loss of citizenship for burning U.S. flag

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The following is the text of the relevant tweet from Trump.

Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!

LINK

While I would never burn a flag myself, I don't see how it's not speech protected by the First Amendment. These kinds of statements by Trump are baffling to me. They make Trump sound like a tyrant, and I believe they can only hurt him.

If his position on the issue of flag burning is the statement above, how does it help him to say it? A POTUS cannot make laws alone. Even if a new law were passed concerning this issue, it would almost certainly have to be decided by the Supreme Court. A POTUS' opinions concerning issues such as the statement above are basically irrelevant in the big picture.

My point is that a POTUS can only lose by making a statement such as the one above. Trump is giving his critics ammunition to easily criticize him, and I believe he's tarnishing his image more than his critics ever could.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+47 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

In my opinion I agree with respecting our flag at all cost, the flag of this nation is a symbol of unity within our borders, 50 stays in one nation anybody that burns it is just declaring that they have not desirer to honor the unity that our nation represents.

It should be a crime to burn the flag.

+33 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

You do realize that burning, defacing, or even stepping on an American flag was actually illegal until the ACLU lobbied to include that under freedom of speech?

If people want to desecrate flags in their homes behind closed doors then that is their right, yes.

Personally, I find it to be in very poor taste to want to burn the flag of the country you live in. If you don't like it here then leave, or vote.

And whether or not Trump can personally make a law is irrelevant when you consider that any new law passed by the senate can be vetoed by the president. So yes, his opinion on such matters does play a role in the law making process.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Reminds me of when Hillary said they would "get" the video maker for inciting Benghazi. For what? The film is protected just like flag burning. Media never called her or Obama out on it of blaming the attacks on free speech.

Flag burning is actually good for the economy. One has to buy a flag which generates sales tax so the bigger flag the better.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Flag burning is actually good for the economy.

Not if the act of burning the flag is meant to undermine the economy that supports its freedoms.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I agree with him. I think a year in jail is way too much, but don't burn the symbol that was fought for and you live under. If you have an issue, bring it up and talk about it or whatever. If you are from another country and burn the flag then yes...leave and go find a country that fits your ideals.

+45 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

While I think the flag should be respected and there are better ways to protest, I also believe one has the right to burn a flag if they choose.

In the end, it is nothing more than a symbol. Burning it does not hurt anyone and there is no victim.

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
We retire flags by burning them do we not?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I think the ultra-nationalist types that get pissed when someone burns a flag should be more outraged at the amount of American flags that are made in China.

I'm outraged by that as well.

But not as outraged as I get when I see someone who hasn't committed one day of their life to serving this country burn the flag of the country that my grandfather fought for in the second world war.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I've always found it very odd, that someone despises a country, that gives them so much Freedom to voice their reasons to despise that country. Are we perfect? No. Not by a long shot. But many of those burning a U.S. flag, are doing so for their 15 minutes in the spotlight and if you asked them what they were protesting, they'd have no idea. They claim they're burning a symbol of slavery and oppression, but Conveniently ignore the flags of Saudi Arabia or Turkey.
Or North Korea, Iran...........

Wanna see some dumbass hypocrites? The girl is screaming about several different things, but you'll notice she mentions Capitalism.....while wearing a leather jacket, name brand shoes, expensive scarf ...and checking her IPhone. All her SJW friends who are lighting it, have nice backpacks, shoes, wristbands, hoodies....
Protected little morons in their own protected little world.

edit on 29-11-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

Are you serious?

That requires an entire ceremony that is intended to honor the flag.

edit on 11/29/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

In my opinion I agree with respecting our flag at all cost, the flag of this nation is a symbol of unity within our borders, 50 stays in one nation anybody that burns it is just declaring that they have not desirer to honor the unity that our nation represents.

Welcome to what we already face in Europe, people living in countries that hate the local population and everything that our values stand for, a majority are not natives but there are plenty of people making excuses for these jackasses to continue. If you hate the country you find yourself in then get the f+ck out...

The US is only about 10 years behind us and it seems is catching up fast.

RA
edit on 29-11-2016 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

I think you left out a bunch of "buts" & "ands" in that statement.

There is an acceptable disposal method.

link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

I'm outraged by that as well.

But not as outraged as I get when I see someone who hasn't committed one day of their life to serving this country burn the flag of the country that my grandfather fought for in the second world war.

So is it acceptable for a person who has served in the military to burn a flag?

link   

I don't believe the burning of the flag should be considered under the first amendment. The flag does not represent the government but the country. As far as punishment goes I don't know if 1 year is enough. Part of the problem in America today is that many do not respect the country and what it stands for. Like some have said already if you don't like my country then get out. P.S. better make it quick I hear there is a wall going up soon.

link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

A bit different from how the OP is talking about it.

The U.S. Flag code states that, “the flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.”

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

So is it acceptable for a person who has served in the military to burn a flag?

I've never seen or even heard of someone in the military burning the flag of the country who's military they served in.

And I'm pretty sure I've answered that question in one of my earlier posts.

link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: eNumbra

Are you serious?

That requires an entire ceremony that is intended to honor the flag.

How is jailing someone, or revoking their citizenship, for burning the flag honorable to the 1st amendment?

link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Trump went to a military academy in his youth and he will freely admit the academy turned his life around... I can easily imagine what would happen if someone on an academy campus burned a US flag ...

People died for that flag and the principles it once stood for... The left has done everything they can to disgrace the flag, the nation, and the American citizens who once believed in the country and the principles it once stood for..B.S.or not. The whole acceptance of flag burning started back in the 60s with the Vietnam war protest and idiots like Jane Fonda.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

While I think the flag should be respected and there are better ways to protest, I also believe one has the right to burn a flag if they choose.

In the end, it is nothing more than a symbol. Burning it does not hurt anyone and there is no victim.

There are many victims. Once disrespect is accepted and becomes the"norm" then any who believe in and have fought for what the flag represents are victims.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join