It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media Lynch Mob

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Be cautious when accepting the validity of stories you read about on social media. There was a popular story circulating on social media about how a cafe owner allegedly abused a woman for leaving her elderly and disabled father at his cafe and mentioned how his presence was bad for business.

As you can imagine, a social media lynch mob ensued calling for a total boycott of the cafe, threats and of violence and death to the owner, as well as a pouring out of sympathy for the "victim". "I hope the owner loses everything!" and "this just shows how unaccepting of the elderly and disabled business owners in Australia are!" became the catch cries of the mob.

I must admit, when this story first broke, I felt sorry for the old man and couldn't believe the owner could be such a bastard. Upon reading a a different article the following day I had to rethink my original reaction.

After reading the later article, I came to the conclusion that the cafe owner's version of events seems more plausible and reasonable than the old man's daughter's version. I could be wrong, but unless somebody who was there can share with us what happened, it's all just speculation on our part.

Nonetheless, the story does illustrate that none of us are immune to allowing our emotions to override our sense of logic and reason, and we should be careful before responding with ridicule to those who have been accused of mistreating others.

This is not the first time people sharing emotionally manipulative stories have been challenged. Unfortunately for the cafe owner, his business, his regular customers and all their families, irreparable damage has already been done thanks mainly to the actions of a lynch mob that did not have access to all the facts before calling for blood.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

This is not the first time people sharing emotionally manipulative stories have been challenged. Unfortunately for the cafe owner, his business, his regular customers and all their families, irreparable damage has already been done thanks mainly to the actions of a lynch mob that did not have access to all the facts before calling for blood.

It's a common tactic, both of cowards and those they incite, and once people get roused up enough, innocence is merely an inconvenience.

And if only people could get roused up enough to actually unite in a common goal eg. government or financial corruption etc. which has probably done more damage to any of them as opposed to some self created boogey man. I think a lot more would get done

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

From the link, it appears that the daughter would often leave her dad at the cafe. I'm tending to side with the cafe owner;
from my previous experience in hospitality customers expect the world after spending $5-10. Why cry to social media?
(she came back into the cafe kitchen without shoes on - a health hazard; just so she could bully the cafe owner)

“This time, after over two hours I went up to the woman as she was leaving. I said: ‘Excuse me, may I have a word’. No raised voice, no abuse. ‘I am not comfortable with you leaving your father for such a long extended time’. The owner said he did not intend any disrespect to Mr Fuller. “The only person I and the staff felt sorry for was the elderly gentleman,” he wrote.

new topics

join