It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory evacuations in Gatlinburg,TN due to fires

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Wow. Even the famous wedding chapel, where I got married long ago, is gone.
twitter.com...
twitter.com...

Hate to say it, but I have mixed feelings about that one. That next three years in my life after that was hell. Still, the pictures coming out of there are unreal. So many places known to so many people from all over the world are gone. Hope the rains put an end to it, because it seems to be clearly out of control. Heard the national guard was called in.
edit on Tue Nov 29th 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

That is devastating.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who may have lost livelihoods, homes, and God forbid, loved ones in this inferno. God bless them all and keep them safe.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That is devastating.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who may have lost livelihoods, homes, and God forbid, loved ones in this inferno. God bless them all and keep them safe.

God i love that Avatar, it makes me want to... Drink!

haha cheers!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: Jdennis10

I messaged Chirp...she is about an hour or so away I think. Fire is so dangerous and it has been so very dry.

You're very sweet, my friend! ((hugs))
It's been a scary situation here for a few weeks. Worst drought in 10 years they say. We were fortunate to receive rain last night but, only after strong winds blew through first.
Many trees down and fires in my little community and several of our firemen went to gatlinburg on a mutual aid request. It is scary there for sure and it (the fire) has apparently taken over perhaps 500+ acres fueled by 80 MPH winds yesterday. *The electric was intermittent here last night (due to the wind) so my first updates were this morning.
29 hikers rescued from the park. I've hiked that area and it was fantastic.

It's my understanding this morning that the entire city is evacuated. Ripley's aquarium (lots of animals) is very much in danger.

So far, no major injuries reported...thank gosh!

Thanks again for thinking of those folks and please send positive thoughts.
edit on 29-11-2016 by TNMockingbird because: deleted rehashed news

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
typo
edit on 29-11-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yeah we've had smoke on and off for a couple days, but when I looked out this afternoon it was overwhelming.

Our shop/my home is right near the Ripleys Aquarium they keep showing on the news. seriously can't believe it made it through I'll post pictures in the morning.
edit on AMq000000amTuesday00000011520 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aqualung2012

Yeah we've had smoke on and off for a couple days, but when I looked out this afternoon it was overwhelming.

Our shop/my home is right near the Ripleys Aquarium they keep showing on the news. seriously can't believe it made it through I'll post pictures in the morning.

So glad you and yours are safe!
They just mentioned had this happened on the weekend...all the tourists.

I hadn't even thought of that.

I just heard a report about the sealed(?) structures that the animals are contained in and unless the fire itself reaches the buildings that the smoke should be able to be combatted.

It must have been especially scary for folks with breathing issues.

Just wondering if there is talk of the cause of the initial fire, within the park?
Stray campfire?

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Wonder if the North GA fires all over Rabun County have anything to do with this as well?

I can attest to the smoke filling Atlanta from those and Rabun County is about 2.5 hours from me with pigeon forge being another 2 from there.

I can tell you that the fires are/were massive. It is dumping rain here in Atlanta today and likely through tomorrow so hopefully some of that made it up north to dampen these fires.
edit on 11/29/16 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

This is devastating. People are saying that Gatlinburg is completely destroyed save for a few buildings left standing.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Thank you guys for continuing to update this thread. My heart breaks for everyone there.

a reply to: Aqualung2012
WOW! I hope that your store continues to stand! I cannot imagine the emotions you must be feeling right now. Please know that you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers.

So glad you are safe!!! I was so worried because I wasn’t sure of your location. [[[HUGS]]] That is great news about the animals, this is all just so sad!!!

The storms were moving across Alabama on Monday night and were expected to slam into Georgia during the overnight hours. High wind warnings were issued for mountainous areas in northern parts of Georgia.

In South Carolina, the stormy forecast was giving hope to firefighters battling a blaze in the northwest corner of the state. The South Carolina Forestry Commission hopes to contain the Pinnacle Mountain fire by the middle of next week.
FoxNews Link
BUT with rain comes wind. And these fires are so out of control that the rain will not be enough to stop them. And the wind is spreading this so fast!

We had just planned our trip to Gatlinburg for July. This little piece of paradise holds a special place in my heart. My husband and I were married in Gatlinburg and continue to visit almost every year for our honeymoon. It is one of the most gorgeous places on earth (next to home) and some of the friendliest most welcoming people that you have ever met. I continue to pray for all of those effected.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Your last paragraph took the words from my mouth. We go every January and stay in a cabin off of stop light 10 in Pigeon Forge. Sometimes we make a trip just for the Christmas cheer in December. Gatlinburg holds a very special place in my heart. I have told my husband several times that it is where I feel most at home and peaceful.

I'm praying for the community, the people, the wildlife, and of course, the firefighters. This is such a very upsetting time for many people near and far.

Does anyone have an actual fire map other than Global incidents? I've been searching and can't find one that actually pinpoints the damaged areas. Places like my resort, Cade's Cove, the horse riding area that I frequent, and a few trails that I always take.

ETA: I can offer some little hope in the form that the winds do die down after the rain moves out. Looks like there will be a few hours of calm until the winds pick back up this afternoon.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is insane. I was just there two months ago, staying in a cabin in the mountains and going all over Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. My family goes on vacation there every year. It's so sad, I don't even know what to say...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Islamic extremists have previously made calls for operatives to start forest fires, as is happening in Israel right now. Regardless of whether this is related to ideology or just people getting a kick out of starting fires, I don't have words to describe the disgust I feel for them. Anyone intentionally setting the forest on fire should be executed.
I'm especially sad that this is happening in the area it is.
edit on 11/29/2016 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Wate News is doing a great job of showing updates if you would like to watch a live stream. Sorry since it isn't youtube I don't know how to embed it.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Thought I'd share that (I think you knew this) my girl's Dad works timeshares. He texted me that they've lost all of their cabins and will likely be routing the people here to these, the folks who are able/wanting to come and don't need/want to return home.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

I hope things can be sorted out before too long. These fires are horrible but at least it's happening at a cooler time of the year, I've been up that way so many times in my life I've lost count, I miss the hiking most of all.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

There have been rumors of people throwing lit books of matches into the forest, namely near Clingmans Done. I've also heard the standard run away camp fire scenario suggested.

Really the severe drought and extreme winds made this tragedy play out. The original source will be hard to pin point.

We haven't gone back into town yet, but two of us went back briefly last night and confirmed our tattoo shop is ok. News is saying all roads into town are still blocked by police.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012 & TN Mockingbird
Glad to hear your shop/home is ok; stay safe and know ppl from the SC Lowcountry/Piedmont to my peeps in Omaha NE are praying for all ya'll and thinking "come on rain!" for ya'll.

#WxBrad said something on earlier on his facebook feed that there was originally a small fire near the Park Vista Hotel then the 60-80 mph winds ahead of this front not only kicked that fire into high gear it also knocked down powerlines/power-poles (3+/-) in the nearby area igniting dry leaves and from there it was on, fast and furious.

His main concern now is the second half of this front as it's supposed to have high winds ahead of it also.
Stay safe ya'll and know we care. This area has special place in all our hearts around here.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I saw this last night, live in Knoxville. The memories I have of over 35 years of time in gatlinburg, the smokies, it made me sick to my stomach watching this last night, and now as some more photos are emerging.

My daughter lives in pigeon forge, was on the phone with her last night till 12:30. Said the smoke and the glow was horrifying. The orange glow swirling in the mist and smoke. This morning she said the smoke is getting progressively worse. Here in Knoxville the rain has been over for about 3 hours, and the winds are slightly breezy again. Nothing like yesterday thankfully, but enough to stir up the warm embers. The rain we got last night was a drop in the bucket.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012
Thank you for the updates. Please stay safe! I just can't imagine what the people of Gatlinburg are going through.

It is not my home and it is still gut wrenching to know that the town I love may never be the same.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join