It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reddit CEO Apologizes for Changing Pro-Trump Comments Thought it was a Joke-Get Even For Harassment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Ut oh, Reddit CEO is in damage control mode after trying to sway the election his way, after altering Trump supporters comments.

The CEO of Reddit, a site that prides itself on enabling users to “be their true selves” online, is in damage control mode after admitting to using his administrative power to edit comments that were critical of him on a popular pro-Trump forum.

Steve Huffman revealed last week that he edited posts on a forum called “the_donald,” a highly active “subreddit” for supporters of the president-elect. Huffman replaced mentions of his name with the names of the leaders of the pro-Trump forum, essentially re-directing the vitriol he received to target those leaders instead.

He admitted to abusing his power and he thought his edits were a "joke" and push back becasue the Reddit users have been harassing him for months.

“I abused my power to give the bullies a hard time,” he told The Washington Post Friday by phone. Huffman said he thought of the edits as a joke: a way to push back against Reddit users who had been harassing him for months, the paper reported.
www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 28-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Not much of a joke if he's the only one in on it.

If a joke is told in the woods and no one is informed of it, is it really a joke or is the "jokester" trying to save his position?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
the edits were a joke?? funny, the people who got their posts edited dont think it was that funny, man.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Wow...Reddit's days are numbered. Once trust is gone and this kind of abuse is revealed, who, in their right mind, would even want to participate.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

So he wasn't serious when he edited the comments?

Is that another way of saying, "no intent?"

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have to admit, I'm pretty shocked that he even addressed the allegations at all, let alone admit they are valid.

Either way he's a total tool.

edit on 11/28/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Wow...Reddit's days are numbered. Once trust is gone and this kind of abuse is revealed, who, in their right mind, would even want to participate.

If Reddit users want to abide by the ATS T&C and clean up the language, we'll take 'em!!!

I wonder what percentage are already here...

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Yeah it's suddenly Just a Joke because he got caught red handed doing it.

He's a Joke. They need to Fire Him!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

I think his feelings were hurt by Trump supporters, and the fact that they didn't agree with him, how dare those Trump supporters do that?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
He needs to be fired. He crapped on the already tenuous credibility of Reddit. Shadow bans, out-of-control subreddit mods. Meta bull#. Now every post is in question.

I loved it once but it lost me years ago.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Some smart cookie will say that he is the CEO of a business and he can edit comments if he wants to. You are free to not use his service.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Some smart cookie will say that he is the CEO of a business and he can edit comments if he wants to. You are free to not use his service.

Who's the smart cookie you are referring to? Could it be Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Proverbs 26:18-19 Like a maniac who shoots deadly firebrands and arrows, so is one who deceives a neighbor and says, “I am only joking!”

edit on 11/28/2016 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I'd say that was one crumbled cookie.

I doubt their T&C allows for anonymous changing of user posts by any member of the staff.

But this wasn't just any member either.

What's next?

Agent Zuck makes some changes to user posts on Facebook and people end up in jail?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

What's next?

Agent Zuck makes some changes to user posts on Facebook and people end up in jail?

Pfft. It's probably already happened and we just aren't aware.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Its RedZit , overlook anything there due to the average intellectual level . Now , apparently , if the CEO leaves the average would go up considerably.
edit on 11/28/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Maybe, but I was thinking of un-named members who address issues like this with a very pro business approach. Leaving out that at the heart of it all this Reddit is a service, and you furnish that service or you have to look like an idiot and apologize for being immature.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

From what I recall, he was changing negative remarks The_Donald posters were saying about him, like he's a pedo, etc. Posters at T_D are the most hateful and vile people on Reddit and all they do is attack everyone else and worship Trump. It's pretty much become an Internet cult.

Ironically enough, the CEO in question is/was a Trump supporter.
edit on 28-11-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I know this issue from 30,000 feet, you sound like you are a Reddit user, I am not. If the CEO was a supporter what was the problem?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

The problem is The_Donald and their vile speech. Like I said, all they do is attack, spread lies, and worship Trump. Why they were attacking the CEO? Dunno but chances are he said something they didn't like. That's how fast they turn on you. If you're not drinking the Koolaid 100% you're toast. They break many rules over at Reddit and for some reason the admins over there don't enforce any TOS rules. If T_D were a sub forum here they would have been banned long ago. So maybe the CEO spoke up and they didn't take to it.

The CEO in question name is Spez and you can read his post here, np.reddit.com...
edit on 28-11-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join