It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've never used gender pro-nouns. I only use sex pro-nouns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
For the past couple years all you hear about are gender pro-nouns and other rediculous things. People say their gender is a semen stain (gender fluid?), they are both, neither, they are.. dragonkin... I have no idea. I don't get this stuff... It all seems incredibly retarded.

My entire life whenever I've ever referred to anyone as he or she, it was based on their sex. I don't think I actually ever even heard of this gender thing until I was in my 20's (35 now) and I always assumed it was just a "more polite" way of saying someone's sex. You know how some people are embarrassed to hear or say the word sex? I thought it was to make things easier on those people.

Recently though with all the controversy over gender pro-nouns all over the place you can't help but read about it. I don't support using all these idiotic made up words for new genders. The reason I am so against it is because I never ever refer to someone's gender when I say he or she, I am talking about the sex that person is. I think this is a problem that a lot of people have and so many people are in the same boat as me, we assumed gender was just a "more polite" word than saying someone's sex.

As an atheist and a skeptic I don't care what people's beliefs are, all I care about is what is. I don't care what you think you are, I only care what you actually are. The only thing that matters is the truth. If a guy comes up to me and says they are a female I won't believe them when all the evidence says otherwise. It seems like this whole gender thing is a new belief system (with no evidence to back it up). Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs - not their own facts.

When I use pro-nouns it is based on someone's sex, not gender.
edit on 28-11-2016 by DumpMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It's BS, indoctrination by liberal idiots that brought the "how I feel
' movement in the 70s. Not fact based, but feelings. Liberal left, a special kinda stupid!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DumpMaster

Look out we got a badass over here!

Honestly though... if you think you're being a rebel, you aren't. 99% of people don't respect/understand gender and go with sex.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Im pretty sure I agree with the OP but Im so confused by the whole issue I cant be sure I know exactly what you mean when you say sex and gender, It seems those previously simple words have now taken on multiple and even conflicting meanings depending on who you ask.

A bloke used to be a bloke and a chick a chick, I get a little teary eyed with nostalgia when I remember those days
edit on 28/11/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

A bloke used to be a bloke and a chick a chick, I get a little teary eyed with nostalgia when I remember those days

And a fag was something you put in your mouth , well i guess you still can . Ok im going now .

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Understandable.

However, in the past we also had no concept, and therefore no word, describing a sexual orientation. Only language for the sex act themselves. Our knowledge of psychology increased and we became aware of this internal phenomenon and gave it labels. This is just an example, but it translates to what you're mentioning in your OP.
edit on 28-11-2016 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Same here, OP.

If it's got the stick and berries it's a man. If it's got the other it's a woman.

No need for all that other bulls***. All that is is games and I'm GD sick of games.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I will go with what she says
Youtube Vid that wont embed

Yep...Blaire hits it perfectly for sanity.
edit on 29-11-2016 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Im pretty sure I agree with the OP but Im so confused by the whole issue I cant be sure I know exactly what you mean when you say sex and gender, It seems those previously simple words have now taken on multiple and even conflicting meanings depending on who you ask.

Sex is sex..we are a sexually dimorphic species. male and female. there are rare occurances of hermaphrodites with a bit of both, but overall its one or the other

Gender is more embodiment of the gender...it is a spectrum in regards to being overly masculine or hyper feminine, but thats it. a sort of delicate man is still a man, a gruff and unfeminine woman is still a woman.

the whole Xe/Xir stuff is absolute nonsense. there are 2 genders and thats it.

As far as trans goes..gender dysphoria happens. sure. very rarely, but it happens, and I think so long as someone is making the effort, the hormones, etc...then I will respect the pronouns there..but I will never call someone Xe or They..I will simply stop talking to them due to me not wanting to have conversations with crazy people.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
There is nothing new and politically correct about the word "gender", when talking about questions of grammar.
In my Latin classes more than forty years ago, nouns were always declined by gender- masculine, feminine , and neuter. (BONUS, BONA, BONUM).
In criticising the word, I think you're attacking the wrong target.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

My entire life whenever I've ever referred to anyone as he or she, it was based on their sex.

Of course you did -- we all did. Because that's exactly what the definition of gender is -- if you have male sex organs, you are male, and if you have female sex organs, you are female. That's what it means, and has absolutely nothing to do with one's sexuality or preferences.

The whole idea of different pronouns is also ridiculous, if for no other reason than because it is impossible for you or me to know by looking at a person which of the umpteen "genders" they have decided to label themselves. But more important, some folks want to re-define gender from the tangible (sex organs) to the intangible (whatever one wants to make up and identify with). In that case, gender has absolutely no meaning. Therefore, neither do gender pronouns.

Like you, I'm not going to play that game. If folks want to stick a label on themselves, okay. I will still treat them with common courtesy and respect. But I won't play pretend.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I call people by how they present themselves. If they correct me with their correct pronouns, I'll use those instead.

Pretty simple really, and just a basic observance of social decency. If a Robert preferred to be called Bob, I'd call them Bob. Simple.

People who pretend to be confused by this are normally just unpleasant people to begin with, in my experience.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I call people by how they present themselves. If they correct me with their correct pronouns, I'll use those instead.

Pretty simple really, and just a basic observance of social decency. If a Robert preferred to be called Bob, I'd call them Bob. Simple.

People who pretend to be confused by this are normally just unpleasant people to begin with, in my experience.

See I never understood the difference between the two, I thought they were two words with the exact same meaning, but they aren't. Sex apparently is what you actually are, and gender is what you believe you are.

As an atheist, I don't care what anyone's beliefs are, I only care about what is true. This means I no longer use gender at all. The word is obsolete as far as I'm concerned. Freedom of religion means that people cannot force their beliefs on others or force them to comply with their beliefs.

It's not so much that people are confused, it's more that someone's bizarre beliefs are being forced on others when they are not true and are not based on scientific evidence / proof / reality. It's that it goes against fact and reality.
It's not much different than Muslims saying nobody can draw a picture of their disgusting prophet Mohammad. That rule is only for Muslims, it is not for non-Muslims. That's their belief system, not mine. Or if Christians say nobody is allowed to wear clothing made of two types of fabric because their stupid god said so. Again, that's a rule in their belief system. Forcing that on others is illegal, immoral and against freedom of religion.

I don't see a difference myself.

new topics

top topics

join