It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump’s political mandate is historically small

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Donald Trump’s political mandate is historically small
www.washingtonpost.com...

Donald Trump is pretty sore that he’s going to lose the popular vote by as much as two percentage points. So he’s lashing out, launching baseless accusations of large-scale voter fraud to explain why he lost the popular vote even as he managed to win the electoral college.

It’s unusually petty and strange for a president-elect to do this, yes. But there is actually good reason for Trump to be concerned about his share of the popular vote. After all, the current tabulation suggests that 53.5 percent of Americans cast ballots for someone not named Donald Trump, and politicians are generally stronger when they have demonstrated popular support. That translates to political capital and an easier time pursuing your agenda. It makes your opponents — and perhaps even skeptical congressional Republicans, in Trump’s case — less likely to stand in your way.

His favorable rating — which is more about his personal appeal than job performance — bumped up after his election but still stood at just 42 percent, according to Gallup. That’s lower than any president-elect on record and is notably less even than his 46.5 percent of the vote.

The popular vote doesn’t technically matter when it come to electing presidents, but popular appeal does matter when it comes to how presidents can govern. And the idea that a majority of Americans still don’t like our president-elect is eating at Trump — as it probably should.

Those are a few key points from the article. I encourage everyone to read it. There has been much discussion about Trump's performance issues lately with this election and what it means for his presidency.

I think this should serve as a reality check not only to Trump, but also to his supporters, that as much as you might like Trump, MOST of the country does not feel the same. The country actually went into mourning after Trump's election. Real mourning. People compared it to how they felt after 9/11. You might laugh at that-- but those are your fellow Americans, your friends, and your family.

As the article states, his political mandate is... extremely small. Very, very small mandate. But...

Trump COULD turn this whole thing around by actually doing good things-- Will he?--- I don't see him doing it if he sticks with his most controversial ideas and has alt-right White Nationalist icon Steve Bannon whispering in his ear while surrounded with bargain bin Republicans. Everything about that team spells failure to me.

Are we looking at the worst President of ALL time? Or... Will Trump somehow win over the people?

If you support him, do you acknowledge this very challenging deficit he has?

If you don't support him, what would it take for you to change your mind?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If Donald Trump completely abolished the DEA and ended the war on drugs I would change my mind and he would have my support. Other than that, there isn't anything he could really do.

I just hope he isn't as bad as Reagan.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie
Why , why do I have to keep doing this ? ? ?Why ?

NEWS FLASH _ (for those completely unaware and ignorant) Donald Trump is not President. Obama is.
AGAIN , I REPEAT Donald Trump is not President yet.

As far as policy goes , I would enlighten you to the fact that it is YYYYUUUUUGGGE
Thats why the left needs their safety pins , diapers , crayons , and play-dough

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The country actually went into mourning after Trump's election. Real mourning. People compared it to how they felt after 9/11. You might laugh at that-- but those are your fellow Americans, your friends, and your family.

More reasons why Trump has been elected president. These two scenarios are not even the same sport, let alone ballpark.

I am glad however that you found another article stating that the popular vote does not matter when electing presidents, so star for you.

As for as going forward, we will have to wait and see. Regardless the gamble is better than the alternative we would have had.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I too would like him to dismantle the DEA, but this will never happen no matter who is in office D or R. If he turns around the economy and fixes obama care, then that is at least a start. I would also like him to be strong on immigration from the ME, especially after what happened today at OSU

Being a businessman, hopefully he will be able to get better trade deals, and keep more American companies here where they belong, instead of them running to third world countries for cheap labor and for tax relief......

He has a chance to have a huge impact on this nation.....whether it will be good or bad remains to be seen...should be an interesting 4 years.

ETA: this is a big list, and I know this will take time....I hope the left will at least give the guy a chance. I voted against Obama, twice, and I gave him a chance.....he just blew it by being terrible
edit on pm1111201616America/Chicago28p08pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Most of them are college kids who were at most 10 yrs old when Sept 11th happened.

It's ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Not sure what you're referring to? Because I said are we looking at the worst president of all time? In case it wasn't apparent, I meant, in the future tense... Are we now looking at who is to become the worst president of all time. If I need to correct that bit to make it clear, I will.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Just had this conversation with a co-worker. We are as Americans soft and weak. Imagine a draft today. Imagine needing a force to combat the likes of Hitler again.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Why do you think our military today is too p###y to take on Hitler? We kill people pretty well.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Most of them are college kids who were at most 10 yrs old when Sept 11th happened.

It's ridiculous.

In my experience I've only heard it from much older adults who remember very clearly how they felt after 9/11.

link   

You are so right....I only know one of my friends that has ever fired a weapon. If we could fight people with smart phones, then we would be golden.

edit on pm1111201616America/Chicago28p08pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

link   

Nice try, but I'll speak my own words, thank you.

I was insinuating that the age in which a draft would encompass is disproportionately weak willed. Our enlistees would not be included for the most part.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Your correct, Obama is the worst President ever.
That's why photos of Jimmy Carter now shows him smiling, he realizes that he is no longer the worst.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Your correct, Obama is the worst President ever.
That's why photos of Jimmy Carter now shows him smiling, he realizes that he is no longer the worst.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Well when you consider that just under half of elegable voters actually voted.
Trump got 25%
Hillary got 26%
And none of the above got 49%

So most of America didn't want either of them.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I was insinuating that the age in which a draft would encompass is disproportionately weak willed.

I disagree. You think the youth are weak. I completely disagree. I think they're strong killers but smart. Not interested in some bullsh#t oil grab and nationalism. But Nazi's... all that hate and racism and oppression and disgusting propaganda and authoritarianism... threatening to dominate the world with their hateful ideology. I think that's a war liberals can sink their teeth into. Give them a real direction to direct that anger. A real evil to focus on. I don't think liberals would have a problem fighting Hitler and Nazi's... actually I think the right wing conservatives today are more likely to shake in their boots and say "Noooo... it'll start WW2!" They're fine when the fight is easily outmatched bombers and drones vs farmers with rifles. But a Hitler battle... Modern day conservatives would be all like... "Wouldn't it be better if we could just get along with Germany?"

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
So most of America didn't want either of them.

Or saw them as the same and didn't care, I know a few people like that.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I felt sorrow after September 11. I felt bad for those who lost their lives and the family members who lost loved ones.
Anyone who compares the emotions of their prefered presidential candidate losing an election to the grief, sorrow and heartache of a terrorist attack that resulted in 1000's of deaths is bonkers imho.
"Oh you lost a family member on September 11? Well my prefered presidential candidate lost an election on November 8, I feel your grief".
Dead set bonkers!

If Trump implements just 1 policy that is successful and helps or improves things for every American then he will already be a better President than the last one.
edit on 28-11-2016 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

That delusional fantasy is fine well and good. Unfortunately for you there is plenty of evidence to the contrary on this site and across the web.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: oddnutz

Everyone I have heard express it knows it sounds weird. They know it's not the same... I think what it is, is feeling like hate won... and feeling like bullsh#t distractions don't matter right now... Feeling dark times... an attack on goodness by someone who campaigned on hate. I mean Trump DID run a very negative campaign. And Hillary's campaign was "Togetherness" and love and equality.

Regardless what you think, look at the numbers. Trump is not the savior in the eyes of the country--- A lot of people voted for him-- but a lot more didn't. Most people did not buy what he was selling.
edit on 28-11-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join