It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Iranian Vessel Points Weapon At U.S. Helicopter Considered Escalation.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Well let's hope cool head prevail in Iran, looks like a helicopter had weapons pointed at it. Iran hasn't made any comments on the situation.

Small Iranian Revolutionary Guard pointed unspecified weapons at a US Military Helicopter.

A small Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard vessel pointed its weapon at a U.S. military helicopter in the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday, two U.S. defense officials told Reuters on Monday, an action they described as "unsafe and unprofessional."

Iran made no comment on the incident and neither has Trump. Officials said this could be seen as an escalation with Iran.

There was no immediate Iranian comment on the incident. Trump's transition team did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the incident took place when a Navy MH-60 helicopter flew within half a mile (0.8 km) of two Iranian vessels in international waters. One of the vessels pointed a weapon at the helicopter, the U.S. officials said.

"The behavior by our standards is provocative and could be seen as an escalation," the officials said. At no point did the crew of the helicopter feel threatened, they added.
www.reuters.com...
edit on 28-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Turkey shot down a Russian jet and war did not ensue. I expect the same result in this case as well for there is even less reason.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Pull the trigger and get wiped off the face of the earth.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ksiezyc

Turkey shot down a Russian jet and war did not ensue. I expect the same result in this case as well for there is even less reason.

No, no, no we must escalate to Defcon 1.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I am afraid the present administration has so fully emboldened the Iranians, that escalation isn't out of the question. Obama's inexperience on the world stage in regards actual moving pieces vs. ideologically driven directives, has landed us in this potentially precarious position.

I hope the next administration can keep quiet, yet carry a big stick. Its the appropriate policy, until the whole world is on the same ideological page, which I doubt will ever happen.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yeah, apparently it was his hand. He was just pointing at heli with his hand. Americans mistook it as weapon pointing at them. just google iraq war crimes, you will get the picture.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Sabre-rattling at its finest.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If an Iranian helicopter flew within 0.8km of a US ship, I bet the same thing would've happened.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
We would have done the same thing, but if the crew of the helicopter never felt threatened why would anything escalate?
If I was in a war zone and someone was flying a warship that close to me I would raise my weapons too.
Seems logical to be ready to return fire since you don't know the intentions of the incoming .

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Israel can shoot the # out of american ships and it's called an accident but god forbid someone points a weapon in your general direction.

US citizens can expect at any moment for the police to point a weapon at them during a routine stop. It's called being prepared to defend yourself. Perhaps a hanky or tissue will suffice to wipe those tears away mr 'official'?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lulpin
If an Iranian helicopter flew within 0.8km of a US ship, I bet the same thing would've happened.
I don't think an Iranian helicopter would get within 5 miles of a US ship before it was shot down

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I am afraid the present administration has so fully emboldened the Iranians, that escalation isn't out of the question. Obama's inexperience on the world stage in regards actual moving pieces vs. ideologically driven directives, has landed us in this potentially precarious position.

I hope the next administration can keep quiet, yet carry a big stick. Its the appropriate policy, until the whole world is on the same ideological page, which I doubt will ever happen.

not likely.. Trump has already stated if a US naval vessel comes under threat they would be authorized to end the threat. Essentially what we have now with the added ability of being able to engage.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Iran sure has been busy since receiving that ransom money. Go figure.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Well, said the Pentagon. They should never be trusted because they are ground zero for all things propaganda. That said, Iran probably doesn't want to start a war with the US because we are doing just fine imploding without their help and I'm sure they know it.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lulpin

no it wouldn't, russian aircraft have buzzed U.S. ships and you could see their pilot in the cock pit, and not the first weapon pointed at them.

image from the USS Cook

below is article about it. the article goes on to tell of many incidents where russian aircraft have flown very close to U.S. ships and planes, and not once have weapons been mentioned. seeing how the Cook has Aegis combat system, if the Cook had of locked on to the aircraft the way russians likes to talk sh@@, they would have said something. in fact they claimed to have disabled it with a new jamming system in the SU24, which turned out to be a lie because at the time of the fly by the manufacturer of the jammer said it hadn't been installed in the SU24 yet.

The official added that in the case of the Cook, "The commanding officer recognized that the flight patterns were unsafe and unprofessional but did not feel threatened and therefore did not engage with tactical weapons."
Russian jets keep buzzing U.S. ships and planes. What can the U.S. do?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Do you think the buzzing will stop once Trump takes the reins?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

I would imagine that the weapon locked on to the helicopter and the copter got an in flight warning. This was no joke.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Do you think the buzzing will stop once Trump takes the reins?

i'd have to say that depends on lots of things.

will trump pull out of NATO?
will trump offer diplomatic talks?
will putin offer talks?
will putin still push his strong arm tactics?

those are just a few simple ones.

edit on 28-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I would imagine that the weapon locked on to the helicopter and the copter got an in flight warning. This was no joke.

Yet the crew never felt threatened. Nobody mentioned any kind of guided weapon. For all we know someone pointed a magnified sight skyward for a closer look.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

If they were better than a 1/2 a mile away, I imagine they didn't see it, they were warned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join