It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Changing the Electoral College?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That is why I am curious to see the Congressional District breakdown for popular vote.

Well no one is stopping you from doing the math yourself and reporting it back to us.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

Congress do not want to deal with making PR a state.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: KEACHI

Congress do not want to deal with making PR a state.

First off PR must create a State Constitution. Then PR can either petition Congress to become a state or follow the Tennessee model, in which they elect two senators and a number of Representatives(depending on Population) and send those Senators and Representatives to Washington DC and each lobbies their respective houses of Congress for statehood. Once 2/3rds of Congress votes yes then it is a state.
then they will be given a number of EC votes (again depending on population)

As for Changing the Electoral College it could be done by amending the Constitution and getting 2/3rds of States to Ratify the Amendment. I don't see the smaller states, and the less populated states, agreeing to giving up their equal voice in the Election process. So it would be a rather futile effort. It would be a lot easier to just nominate Candidates that could appeal to the majority of States.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

" A lot of people are looking to change the Electoral College. "

This is a Ridiculous Statement , What People ? The Electoral College Will Never be Changed , it's the Fairest way to Hold a Presidential Election where Every State in the Union is Represented . The Only People who would want to Change that are Anarchists .
edit on 28-11-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
Well no one is stopping you from doing the math yourself and reporting it back to us.

Believe me, I tried, I could not find a workable 2016 results map by Congressional district.

edit on 29-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSemiSkeptic

No, that is not the way it works, PR can petition everyday, they will never become state unless congress approved it.

Our Island had dome more than enough referendums for statehood with enough majority no to be denied the petitions.

Congress no even considered.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Not gonna say what I want to say. Have a nice day.

edit on 29-11-2016 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-11-2016 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

No, that is not the way it works, PR can petition everyday, they will never become state unless congress approved it.

Our Island had dome more than enough referendums for statehood with enough majority no to be denied the petitions.

Congress no even considered.

Congress did consider the Matter.

First was the bill signed into law by President Obama that set aside $2.5 million to hold a referendum, which was planned be done in the 2016 Gubernatorial elections. I do not know if this referendum was put on the ballot or not.
Second was HR 2000, Enabling Act for Puerto Rico. I will admit that the 113th Congress, which ended in 2015, did let HR 2000 die at the end of the session. Which I find to be a total failure in the 113th congress to do it's job. This does not mean that it is over. Alaska started it's process to become a State in 1920, they did not succeed until 1959.

Congressman-at-Large Pedro R. Pierluisi has introduced to this session of Congress, 114th Congress, HR 727. which is an Enabling Act for Puerto Rico. It has been accepted by the House of Representatives and sent to committee.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

And it will stay where it is as many other bills that never get to pass in congress, the reason it was even considered under the Obama administration was because Hillary was campaigning in PR and promising to help with the bankruptcy problems, it was just for votes on the primaries, now it will be forgotten.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You can't change it without a constitutional amendment and that's not going to happen. The federal government has taken so much power from the states already illegally that the states don't even know how much power they still have under the 10th Amendment. IF they wanted it. But they'd rather have that free money from the feds than earn it themselves.

Not only that, but the Electoral College is working exactly the way it was designed. It was designed very specifically to not allow the popular vote, which often is a mob mentality as you are now seeing, elect the president. It's working exactly the way it was designed. So why would they change it?

The fact that people are too stupid to know all of this is proof that it's more necessary now than ever.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join