It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Archaeologists Discovered Abydos A 7,000-Year-Old City/Beginning of Egyptian History?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Just a curious question, what do you think the purpose was to build tombs and temples in the middle of the desert`?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Maybe not in your timeline

So when did ATS launch?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

Just a curious question, what do you think the purpose was to build tombs and temples in the middle of the desert`?

Maybe it wasnt a desert then.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Good point, I remember seeing a documentary where it was lush some 10,000 years ago. Good thinking.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Probably not

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

To add to the Byrd QA

Do you think there is merit to The Great Sphinx of Giza having been built on top an existing structure (like one of a lion)?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Please reference this

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

What are you wanting me to reference?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Subscribing to check it tomorrow

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The Great Sphinx of Giza having been built on top an existing structure (like one of a lion)?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I'm sorry i'm truly not following. That was a question I was adding for Byrd. You said I needed to reference something. I ask what that thing is and then you quote me. Can you be a little more clear?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You wondered if there was a sphinx on top of a lion, and i wondered where you heard this? And if you could reference it to its source?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

There are possible chambers under the paws, so who knows.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Ahh, gotcha
My bad.

Yeah there has been previous ATS threads on that. Plenty of speculation on it to be found outside ATS too.

Much of it is predicated on alleged findings that place the Sphinx as much older than the accepted dating (and thus much older than the pharaoh represented in the Sphinx's face we see). Essentially the idea is the Sphinx was constructed from an earlier Egyptian dynasty (or prior civilization?), and a Pharaoh later wanted his face on it

Here is a Dailymail link on it. I know, Dailymail, but other sources can be found discussing it: link
edit on 28-11-2016 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang

First of all, it's not the middle of the desert. It's the edge of the Nile. Specifically, the western edge of the Nile.

West was associated with the land of the dead; most of the necropolises (necropoli) are on the west bank of the Nile.

The temples on the west bank of the Nile are almost always mortuary temples and include temples where the dead are prepared for mummification. Temples to the gods and to the pharaohs as living gods are usually on the east bank.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

To add to the Byrd QA

Do you think there is merit to The Great Sphinx of Giza having been built on top an existing structure (like one of a lion)?

No.

It's been rebuilt a number of times, however (at least 2-3 times in antiquity). Forgive a clicky-link, but here's a picture showing the extent of the many repairs. BTW, if you're standing by the Sphinx (as I was) with that diagram in hand (as I was) then it's actually easy to spot the repairs.

It's been prodded, poked, dug under, etc, etc, since antiquity. It's probably a miracle that Belzoni or one of that era didn't dynamite the poor thing to 'find a treasure'.

Anyway, if you walk around it, you will see that it's not made up of sections of bricks or stone; it's one big chunk of stone and it merges with the limestone below. The limestone layers match the layers on the edge of the quarry (so it wasn't "poured like concrete" (which is a silly idea, but just in case someone told you this it wasn't poured.))

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: dashen

Maybe not in your timeline

So when did ATS launch?

The current incarnation is 2002, but ATS is older than that. The name was registered by Simon Grey in 1997 and the site went active in 1999 - changing over to this format in 2002. (the link is very much outdated info, but confirms the dates)

I joined in 1999 - was a computer geek working for a city government that was getting all hysterical about Y2K. This place did have Y2K hysteria but had a compliment of good skeptics with good research abilities. It was a good resource for predicting what sort of weirdness that certain managers might have encountered from their associates and salespeople
edit on 28-11-2016 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I did not know that the repairs have been so numerous. Thanks

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Awesome thx!

No, i dont think there is a lion underneath. But you actually confirmed something else for me..

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The theory is that the original Sphinx was a lion. The head was carved up later as indicated by its disproportionate size.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join