It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media reporting "active shooter" on campus. Except, there was no shooter...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   

By now youve heard about the Ohio State University attack, the so called "active shooter" which was reported far and wide, repeated over and over.

Only problem, there was no active shooter.

There wasnt even an inactive shooter.

As a matter of fact, there was no shooter.

Not to minimize the incident but there was a guy with a knife who drove onto a curb...

Was this simply a case of the media "jumping the gun" (pun intended) or is it something more cynical, part of the media's anti-2A bias in order to instill fear and panic?

edit on 28-11-2016 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

OSU's office of emergency management is the one that put out a tweet advising of an active shooter, and to shelter in place. To my knowledge, they were the first ones to put it on blast, not the media.

And it wasn't until well over an hour or two into the incident that anybody knew it was a knife and not a gun on the subject that was shot by police, and even then they hadn't officially confirmed it was just one person involved.

I see where you're going with it, but I'm not sure what else you'd want the media to call it when OSU's own EMO is calling it an active shooter situation. As to that, "active shooter, shelter in place" is a whole hell of a lot more succinct and less confusing than "something is happening, could be an active shooter, could be a knife, not really sure, but shelter in place." All the more so when early reports from students mentioned hearing gunshots.

edit on 28-11-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Technically, the campus cop who shot the dirtbag was a shooter.

But, I get you. I don't think it was intentional anti gun propaganda.

I think they just have ready to go active shooter headlines. They were told someone was shot, so they ran with it.

Also the media always fails miserably on the initial details of these events.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

By now youve heard about the Ohio State University attack, the so called "active shooter" which was reported far and wide, repeated over and over.

Only problem, there was no active shooter.

There wasnt even an inactive shooter.

As a matter of fact, there was no shooter.

Not to minimize the incident but there was a guy with a knife who drove onto a curb...

Was this simply a case of the media "jumping the gun" (pun intended) or is it something more cynical, part of the media's anti-2A bias in order to instill fear and panic?

Definitely the Latter.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have to wonder how many of the MSM were working on anti-gun segments for tonight's news when they thought that this was a shooting.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
More of that "fake news" I've been hearing about.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The cops gun fire made people think it was an active shooter.

supposedly the whole thing ended in a matter of minutes

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Yes.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

While I agree with your overall point, why can't they just say something like ,"Active attacker. Shelter in place?"

But I guess that we're just arguing semantics here--I do agree that the media can only run with what is told to them by witnesses and officials. Being intelligent people, we just need to have the patience to wait until the dust settles before running with the first bits of intel.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Students said they heard several gunshots. They didn't know it was the cop shooting.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Posts on Reddit are claiming the guy didn't have a gun. These are supposedly from people who were at the scene as it transpired.
The shots that were heard came from the officer who killed the perp. The perp had a long blade weapon and drove into a crowd.

Media always has to make it sensational.
Now let's see if they change their headlies.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Something strange i noticed was almost exactly 24 hours ago here in Queenland Australia on our morning news program we had this scroll across the bottom of the news feed, around 7am, it said 1 dead and 9 injured..... so as usual ill jump on ATS to get my world news, but to no avail, there was nothing about this all day on ATS until late at night.

Why was there such a delay from ATS users to report this event..... OR was this reported here before the event ?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

Because you more than likely saw a crawler for a shooting in New Orleans, not the Ohio incident.

edit on 28-11-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

New Orleans ? no mention of that here..... So there were 2 incidents yesterday Sham ?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

There was a shooting in New Orleans over the weekend that had 1 person killed and 9 injured. Two guys got into a shootout on Bourbon Street. The Ohio incident was this morning.

If you were to google "1 dead 9 injured" many of the results that come up are in relation to the New Orleans shooting. If my estimation is correct, the New Orleans shooting would have happend about 3 hours before you saw the crawler. I think it's far more likely that you saw something related to that shooting than somebody slipped up and started running a crawler for an attack that hadn't happened yet.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Ah Tin-Foilers...
Yes its that they are making it sensational vs reporting on the facts, as they are known , when an event is still fluid..

Dont report it and you get people crying "they are suppressing news."
Report information as its breaking and you get "its fake news, they have an agenda"

The real world isnt a TV episode that is packaged and spaced to fit nicely in a 1 hour interval. Additionally when something happens at a remote location all they can do is report what they are being told by the people at the site , like today for example where they were relaying what the OSU Emergency Management Office was telling them.. Nope, screw logic..It has to be something nefarious.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

There was a big shootout in Kansas City yesterday, but that's pretty normal for democrat strongholds.

News from KC and STL don't usually get out nationwide unless it's a cop killing a criminal.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
There was no firearm. The murderer was wielding a machete style blade. Sound familiar ? And the murderer was a Somali . Al-Shabaab anyone ? Fortunately , he assumed ambient temperature thanks to a police officer before he could kill more innocents.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: havok
Posts on Reddit are claiming the guy didn't have a gun. These are supposedly from people who were at the scene as it transpired.
The shots that were heard came from the officer who killed the perp. The perp had a long blade weapon and drove into a crowd.

Media always has to make it sensational.
Now let's see if they change their headlies.

Ohio State University reported that they were in an active shooter situation. The university initially called it that probably based on the gunshots that were fired. The media just repeated that information that they were getting from the university.

I mean, at the time it was happening, the media was getting their information from the authorities on site, and those authorities (including the university) were calling it an active shooter situation. Would you rather the media say something like:

"The Ohio State University is reporting that they are in an active shooter situation -- but is there really a shooter???".

The media did revise the story later once the situation ended, and the details of the attack came to light. It was then discovered that the attacker had a knife-like weapon, and the shots that were heard came from a campus cop.

edit on 2016/11/29 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join