It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Missouri Governor Bans Video Games from Prisons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Governor Matt Blunt banned video games from the state's prisons Monday, a month after a newspaper reported some of Missouri's most violent inmates were allowed to play games simulating murders, carjackings and the killings of police officers. The ban applies to all video games -- violent or not. Blunt said state tax dollars -- as well as employees' time -- should not be spent determining which video games are violent.

www.cnn.com
Blunt, a Republican who took office two weeks ago, called video games "a luxury that inmates should not be allowed to enjoy."

"Our penitentiaries are punitive institutions where those who have committed crimes against society are sent to pay for their actions. They are not meant to be arcades," Blunt said in a statement.

The Corrections Department already had removed 35 violent video games from the maximum-security Jefferson City Correctional Center as The Kansas City Star prepared to publish a story about the games in early December.

The games, which were paid for with profits from the prison canteen, included titles such as "Hitman: Contracts," in which players use everything from meat hooks to silencer-equipped pistols to carry out contract killings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The Governor goes on to say "inmates shoud pick up skills and abilities that will allow them to go back out into society and be productive citizens"

I agree with him, no more cable TV, internet, games.

They did the crime, do the time, sitting and thinking about what they did and who they hurt.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more with Blunt. The prisoners are there because they've committed a crime, and shouldn't be given the luxury of video games, even TV in my opinion for those with more serious offenses like rape, murder...etc. I had no idea that such prisoners were allowed to play video games. How would the family of someone killed by one of these inmates feel if they knew they were having a good time playing XBox or something?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Why do they have them in the first place? Of course they should be banned! It goes against the purpose of a prison.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
"Our penitentiaries are punitive institutions where those who have committed crimes against society are sent to pay for their actions.

The Governor goes on to say "inmates shoud pick up skills and abilities that will allow them to go back out into society and be productive citizens"

Well, I will agree that inmates shouldn't be playing violent video games, but am I the only one who finds the two quotes above by Gov. Blunt to be mutually exclusive?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Who cares if they play video games? What else is a guy suppose to do for 10-20 years?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Life should be made as hard as possible for criminals.

Prison is supposed to be punishment for doing wrong not a free holiday.

Why should my hard earned taxes go towards giving them an easy life in prison !!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Who cares if they play video games? What else is a guy suppose to do for 10-20 years?

They are in prison to serve a debt to society for committing crimes! I care if they are playing video games! My tax money already gives them more than I think they need...I'll go for education, books.....but I don't think they need exercise equipment many out of jail can't afford, pools and cable TV with HBO.....it's supposed to be hard in prison....it's not supposed to be nice with a lot to do!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Hmmm, when can I go to prison? Most prisons if you don't have a 72 inch plasma flat screen dvd/vhs tv with cable and brand spanking new pc with 23 inch flat screen moniter and 250gigs of space with 1gig of dd2 ram and dvd burner you can sue for being abused. Well, after you get done working out on high tech brand new gym equipment that the YMCA or JCC could only dream of owning.(Yes I work out at YMCA, even though not a christian)

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
*sarcasm on*

Poor little prisoners!

First you take away their freedom and now this!

What's the world coming to!

*sarcasm off*

Prisons were built for punishment, not to lay around in the lap of luxury!

Their televisions should be taken as well! They don't need entertainment and they can read the newspaper if they want to keep up with current events!

I hope other states follow Missouri's example!

P.S. You can bet your fanny that the ACLU will be in court over this one though!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
There is a problem with human physiology that can cause a sudden mental break.

Video games have been blamed for increased violence but a little known conflict of physiology is probably the cause. The problem is not the content of the game but the design and location of the workstation where the game is played.

This is explained at VisionAndPsychosis.Net. The basics of the problem are also included in psychology lectures under Physiology of Sight, Subliminal Sight, and Peripheral Vision Reflexes.

The explanation given there is, "as the subject continues to ignore peripheral vision reflexes to be able to concentrate, (play the video game), a conflict arises in their mind then builds to a mental break.

The reflexes are caused by other people walking by close enough to trigger a startle reflex. That startle does not happen because humans can ignore repeating reflexes. But we can't stop seeing the threat movement nor can we tell our brain to stop attempting to force a reflex.

The Everquest Connection page at VisionAndPsychosis.Net explains the simple psychology of what happens. You may remember that Shawn Woolley's mother sued Sony believing that Everquest Addiction caused his suicide.

It is unlikely that either prisoners or prison administrators would know to correctly install and use video games in a location having Cubicle Level Protection.

All we need is more violent people having mental breaks.

L K Tucker

VisionAndPsychosis.net...

Link to the pages from the index page.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Im not defending the prisoners, but they only get an hour a day of rec time. my point is, if it keeps em from raping and beating each other, whats the problem?

I'd bet from sounds of ya, not to many of ya ever spent an hour in jail. if you did, you'd have a different point of view. Remember, not everyone in the joint is a violent felon.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Governor Matt Blunt banned video games from the state's prisons Monday, a month after a newspaper reported some of Missouri's most violent inmates were allowed to play games simulating murders, carjackings and the killings of police officers. The ban applies to all video games -- violent or not. Blunt said state tax dollars -- as well as employees' time -- should not be spent determining which video games are violent.

www.cnn.com
Blunt, a Republican who took office two weeks ago, called video games "a luxury that inmates should not be allowed to enjoy."

"Our penitentiaries are punitive institutions where those who have committed crimes against society are sent to pay for their actions. They are not meant to be arcades," Blunt said in a statement.

The Corrections Department already had removed 35 violent video games from the maximum-security Jefferson City Correctional Center as The Kansas City Star prepared to publish a story about the games in early December.

The games, which were paid for with profits from the prison canteen, included titles such as "Hitman: Contracts," in which players use everything from meat hooks to silencer-equipped pistols to carry out contract killings.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree with him, no more cable TV, internet, games.

They did the crime, do the time, sitting and thinking about what they did and who they hurt.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
AFTER READING MANY OF YOUR QUOTES, I CAN SEE MANY OF YOU AREN'T AWARE OF THE WAY THE PRISON SYSTEM WORKS. THE MONEY FROM THE CANTEEN DOESN'T COME OUT OF YOUR TAXES. IT COMES SOLELY FROM THE 10 OR 20 DOLLARS A MONTH THE PRISONER EARNS WHILE WORKING IN THE PRISON, OR FROM MONEY SENT TO THEM BY FAMILIES. THE CANTEEN IS WHERE THEY CAN BUY SHAMPOO, WRITING SUPPLIES, FOOD,ECT. A LARGE PERCENTAGE OF PRISONERS ARE FIRST TIME, NON VIOLENT OFFENDERS WHO HAVE BEEN GIVEN LONGER SENTENCES THAN MANY VIOLENT OFFENDERS DUE TO THE MANITORY MINIMUM SENTENCING GUIDLINES. YOU DO HOWEVER USE YOUR TAX DOLLARS TO HOUSE THESE PRISONERS AT A COST OF APROX. 25,000 A YEAR PER PRISONER.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I AM NOT NEARLY AS CONCERNED ABOUT THE GAMES CAUSING VIOLENCE AS I AM THE OVER CROWDING. MANY PRISONS NOW HAVE 8 MEN TO A "ROOM" , HAVE PRISONERS IN THE "HOLE" JUST BECAUSE IT IS THE ONLY PLACE TO HOUSE THEM. AS I SAID EARLIER, A GREAT NUMBER OF THESE PRISONERS ARE FIRST TIME NON VIOLENT OFFENDERS DOING 10, 25, AND IN MANY CASES LIFE. THERE IS CURRENTLY NO PAROLE, OR TIME OFF FOR GOOD BEHAVIOR UNDER THE MANDITORY MINIMUM SENTENCINGS. SO, HOW LONG DO YOU THINK THESE MEN AND WOMEN WILL CARE HOW THEY BEHAVE WITH NO HOPE OF RETURNING TO SOCIETY,PACKED IN THERE LIKE CATTLE? YOU ARE MISINFORMED IF YOU BELIEVE THESE LIES ABOUT ALL THE LUXURIES OF PRISON. THEY ARE AWAY FROM FAMILY AND FRIENDS, THEY ARE TOLD WHEN TO EAT, WHEN TO SLEEP, WHEN THEY SHOWER. THEY ARE BEING PUNISHED. TIME IS ALL THEY HAVE. MOST GET NO LETTERS, NO VISITS, AND THE REHAB PROGRAMS ARE VERY MINIMAL.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
but am I the only one who finds the two quotes above by Gov. Blunt to be mutually exclusive?

How? One the one hand, the prison system punishes. He is saying along with that it should rehabilitate. TV and Video games fit into neither aspect.

[/quote
Who cares.

but they only get an hour a day of rec time. my point is, if it keeps em from raping and beating each other, whats the problem?

Why should tax money be spent to entertain these people, even if its to distract them from raping and beating each other? Besides, how does the game do that? They relax in the relaxation time, beat and rape in the other times.

Remember, not everyone in the joint is a violent felon.

A good arguement for treating people fairly in jail and protecting them from on another. However, I don't see a necessary connection between that and providing them with entertainment and games.

IT COMES SOLELY FROM THE 10 OR 20 DOLLARS A MONTH THE PRISONER EARNS WHILE WORKING IN THE PRIS

Any monies they generate should be directed into the operational costs of the prison, not luxuries for the prisoner.

Also, please don't post in all caps. Often mods will edit this out, however its considered extraordinarily rude to type in all caps, its the equivalent of yelling at a person you are having a conversation with.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

They are in prison to serve a debt to society for committing crimes! I care if they are playing video games! My tax money already gives them more than I think they need...I'll go for education, books.....but I don't think they need exercise equipment many out of jail can't afford, pools and cable TV with HBO.....it's supposed to be hard in prison....it's not supposed to be nice with a lot to do!

I agree completely.

And what the hell is with all of the exercise equipment? Do we REALLY want violent criminals to be stronger, leaner, meaner, and more powerful upon their eventual release??? I say feed 'em Krispy Kremes and make them all fat and slow and easier to catch when they commit more crimes, hehe....

Might as well teach them martial arts and have shooting practice....or perhaps security and locksmith classes? a...DUH!!!

new topics

top topics

join