It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rant on American Clothing Sizes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

It's good to be a man. I'm still the same size I was in high school and the measurements used then are the same as now.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
That's because you wear your clothes Ed Gein style. It makes it easier when it's custom.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
My wife is a size zero. She often buys clothing in the children's department.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
That's because you wear your clothes Ed Gein style. It makes it easier when it's custom.

I'm a slightly better dresser than him.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
My wife is a size zero. She often buys clothing in the children's department.

Before I met my wife I was dating this girl who was 4'11" and 90lbs. She needed to shop in the missus department and when she'd try on clothes I had to be near the dressing room so she could get my opinion.

There were a few times I was asked why I was lingering outside the children's dressing room so I had to be honest and tell them my girlfriend was in there.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
i am a bloke - and while MOST mens clothing sizes are absolutly intuative - and have staked constant - though - despite best efforts my waist now = 32 not 30
[ but i digress ]

small >> medium and large have defo been altered

i USED to buy samall for a snug fit in stuff like tee-shirts and base layers - and everything else = medium for comfort flexibility and movement

now - medium is getting baggy - i has not shrunk - see above

but increasingly snall softshells and fleeces are a nicer fit - with still room for movement

are mens manufactures now pandering to the increasing number of fatties ???????????????

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Who cares about the fashion industry BS size designations. Strange as it seams, I can look at any kind of apparel and know if it's going to fit. Even hats and shoes.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

edit on 28-11-2016 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I think the size silliness for women could be resolved if they went to waist/inseam inches like men's, but then have a few tiers for hip proportion and butt-bubbliness.

With us guys, its simple. I'm 34" around and 34" long. It actually used to be difficult for me, as mall stores never seemed to have my size. I either had to become anorexic or obese - they didn't seem to think a healthy size either direction was possible. Now though, I buy jeans and work pants at Costco. They have sizes for tiny dudes, beanpoles, humpty Dumpty and even my size, every time.

My wife, on the other hand, being 4'10", always has to have pants shortened. The funny thing is, if she put on 40-50 lbs, she'd be able to buy pants that fit. They seem to think all short women are obese.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Here's a nice trick, get on ebay and buy a "large" t-shirt from the 70's and compare that to what you have in your dresser.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I don't worry about finding pants or jeans to fit me,I wear skirts!

edit on 28-11-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
T M I .

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

So,get over it!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
I am bigger in the top than the bottom,but my behind is queen size.

Pics or no one is going to believe you!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Don't have this problem in Australia.. yet!

Though I do think the American sizing of 0 and 00 and 000 or whatever is utterly bizarre. We have those sizes too.... for babies.

I'm a size 16-18 in Australian clothing sizes, which I believe is an American 14 or so. Move to America and feel better about myself, woo. (Losing weight anyway, was a size 22 a couple months ago, progress!) Either way, I get most of my clothes online anyway! Good to have a measuring tape and order accordingly. Haven't gone wrong yet!

Now, what's horrible is finding appropriate footwear. Good luck finding pretty dainty women's shoes in a size 10 or 11. Oh, they do sell them... but while they have about twenty pairs of size 8's, they only stock two or three pairs of 10's and 11's and they get snapped up right quick.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I decided to behave myself and not give in to temptation.
edit on 28-11-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
It's difficult for me to find shirts long enough to tuck in, so i just stopped tucking them in. It's hell going to the club now.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Too late!!!! I read it....allllll of it.

You have my deepest admiration on your assets.

edit on 28-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Too late!!!! I read it....allllll of it.

You have my deepest admiration on your assets.

Awww... I missed it. Haha! I'm sure mamabeth has a lovely figure.

Maybe we should all just wear super stretchy one-size-fits-all spandex and call it a day.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

clothes have never fit me right! I am an older woman now, have always been on the slim side... extra skinny arms and legs WIDE shoulders WIDE waist NO hips (ok I got a little bit of hip after having babies)

if you are not proportioned right even if you are skinny, clothes will not fit right...back in the day womens jeans had small waists and big hips and thighs...I gave up in frustration and wore mens jeans for YEARS ! one time my weight went up a little and I had to go to the big womens clothes store.

the smallest pair of pants fit perfect in the waist, but the pant legs looked like clown pants they were huge and my legs were so skinny!!! had to wear pants with a stretchy waistband finally lee jeans was the FIRST to make jeans that fit women like me!!!

could never wear buttonup blouses, because shoulders too wide and would be too tight in the chest and get that puckered ..opening

Totally agree on the shoes. my friend wore big size and they never carry much in the bigger size especially cute sandals

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join