It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Beauty Contestant 1st to wear burkini in US Beauty Pagean/She Was Eliminated/Made History

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Syphone

Women in Islam should wear make-up for their husband only; this girl however is full of make-up! What kind of Islam is that..? Somali version..?

Quote the verse that proves this, please.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
That is like entering an Islamic cuisine contest and bringing a porkchop plate, because it's my culture.
edit on 28-11-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

To be into a religion or not is a choice, unless youre from the Middle East. Its only downhill from there discussions of any of these associated finer points. The women of the middle east are subjects to rampant rabid societal hypermasculinity & insecurity, and the hijab burka stuff is but a symptom of this stuff. Another exmamplie is the female genital mutilation: SAME discussion.

You want to bring Islam into the fold, then making it your business to bring down the old world conservative darkness like this ought to be your business, rather than insinuating an agnostic has religious based motivated reasoning as the cause for being anti-mysogonistic.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Is it also equally misogynistic to demand that a woman shouldn't wear a hijab?
Or is that different? Because you only want what's best for the woman, amirite?

Your rant means nothing to me aside from being highlighted as a vast generalisation of the Middle East.
Which is off topic given that this is about an African American.

Forced FGM & the choice to wear a Hijab are not, and never will be, the "same discussion".

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Wearing or not wearing a head dress isn't related to be being 1/2 naked.If she were to choose to wear a 1 piece swim suit, and a scarf wrapped around her waist would be taking away the 1/2 naked part out of the contest.

Wearing a head dress put her at a disadvantage in the contest, can't see her, can't judge her.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

It isn't religious garb but cultural.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The irony is quite strong with this story! Some would say that parading around in next to nothing so that your body can be judged is oppressive, while others say that oppression is covering one's entire body in loose cloth.

I'm kind of a middle type thinker.

But she lives in the United States where freedom to wear what you want is an important tenet. It's a good thing.

edit on 28-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
so, that was a swimsuit?
how about this, throw her in the deep end of the pool if she swims then it`s a swim suit if she drowns then obviously it isn`t a swim suit, I have the feeling that she would sink like a rock wearing that thing.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

What societies besides Islamic wear hijabs?

FACT: Totally cultural!

FACT: Rooted in mysogeny!

If a non-Muslim were to wear one that might be making a statement. A Muslim wearing one is pure conformity, therefore it isnt hardly a choice not when the men of a culture mandate it.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

FACT: Totally cultural!

FACT: Rooted in mysogeny!

If a non-Muslim were to wear one that might be making a statement. A Muslim wearing one is pure conformity, therefore it isnt hardly a choice not when the men of a culture mandate it.

Nuns, Christians in the Middle East & Africa, & orthodox Jewish women all wear Hijabs.

A Muslim wearing one is pure conformity, therefore it isnt hardly a choice not when the men of a culture mandate it.

So you've decided that this lady in question didn't in fact choose to wear it, but the males in her family mandated it?

But she said she chose it!
Never mind.
edit on 28-11-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Doh!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

My GF wears one everynow and then and when she takes it off it takes my breath away.
I honestly don't mind it no one isa forcing her to wear it just like no one forces the Scottish to wear patterned dresses.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Ignorance, you should look at some images of Haredi Jewish women in their Burkhas.

You might learn something.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   
problem with makeup in islam is, 1) you need to wash it off before prayer (5 times a day) and 2) nothing can be done that is meant to attract men. Makeup is almost always to attract men as its the basic function of highlighting features (plump lips, flushed face, etc)

But the reality is that muslims shouldn't be in any beauty contests...ever.

Surah an-Nur ayah 31

"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful

So, a muslim who is in a beauty contest simply cant be a muslim.
This woman was not showing fantastic muslim beauty standards. she is a former muslim mocking the look of the middle east and will most likely be honor killed for her infidel ways should she return to the middle east and they catch wind of her antics.

thread over yet?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Subjects within a BRUTALLY oppressive, theocratic shame society are more akin to being drones than they are free thinkers making actual choices.
edit on 28-11-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

My GF wears one everynow and then and when she takes it off it takes my breath away.
I honestly don't mind it no one isa forcing her to wear it just like no one forces the Scottish to wear patterned dresses.

Sounds like you please prefer it off!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Prefer ladies with nowt on tbh but seeing that isn't allowed I let em wear what they want. But it does bring out her eyes when she wears one I can see why they like it.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Nope my gf prays once a week does all the holidays but as moderate as many are who are christian. She calls herself muslim but isn't identified by her religion it is just a small part of her life.
I could show you all the laws Christians break daily because they are also moderate.
Not all Muslims are fundies you know?.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
What could she be graded on? The number of inches per linear inch her outfit contained? Get real.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

wikiislam.net...'an,_Hadith_and_Scholars:Beauty_and_Makeup

it says it all you need to know

edit on 28-11-2016 by Syphone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
a reply to: SaturnFX

Nope my gf prays once a week does all the holidays but as moderate as many are who are christian. She calls herself muslim but isn't identified by her religion it is just a small part of her life.
I could show you all the laws Christians break daily because they are also moderate.
Not all Muslims are fundies you know?.

I once knew a woman who called herself a Christian. She never went to church, didn't read the bible, didn't believe Jesus resurrected, etc..basically she was agnostic but if asked she said Christian (because that's what her parents were and she simply identified as it like some sort of ethnic group).

She wasn't a Christian
your girlfriend is not a muslim.

you can call yourself a macy's giftcard..doesn't mean you are one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join