It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting vids with no summary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Can we start enforcing the rule that videos posted are to be posted with a summary?

I sound like a stick in the mud but it's so annoying. We're ATS not Reddit or whatever. Stop being so lazy. It makes the forums look like everywhere else but we're better than that.

It's really starting to p**s me off and I bet I'm not on my own here.

"Watch this it's mind blowing, it names names!" is not sufficient.
What is the video about?
Why is it mind blowing?
Who is named in the video?
What angle is the video approaching the argument from?
Is it biased?
What are your thoughts on the video?
I'd add more but there's no need.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

AMEN!!
I get sick of seeing a video with the line "What do you guys think" and then nothing else. If they're not going to put any work into it, why does anyone bother replying?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

+1

i currently cannot watch y-tube vids - so it pisses me of even more than it used to

but i wish i could reach down the fibre optic and disembowl any idiot who says :

" its all in the vid m just watch it "

and as for the people who expect me to watch a 3.5 hour vid or 27 part series

no punishment is too cruel or unusual

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I always thought you HAD to add a summary/description of a video as per T&Cs? Otherwise, isn't it just a low content thread that the message in the text box of a new thread says they don't want?

I have seen it a lot more lately though. "Look at this video! They name names" or "This video shows you all the evidence you need". Those posters should be lined up against a wall and flogged.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I think some confuse this site with Facebook,several arbitrary video's etc on there,but the idea of a post is for discussion,hard to discuss nothing

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Some videos cover so much information a brief summary is actually quite hard to do...so I can understand why some hesitate to try and break down all the information.. If it bothers someone don't watch the video... simple really ... Usually in the first couple of minutes you can tell if you are interested or not. If you don't have 2 minutes to investigate why is anyone here ?

edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The first Mod who appears will point out that people need to "Alert" these things.

"What think you, ATS?"

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Some videos cover so much information a brief summary is actually quite hard to do...so I can understand why some hesitate to try and break down all the information.. If it bothers someone don't watch the video... simple really ... Usually in the first couple of minutes you can tell if you are interested or not. If you don't have 2 minutes to investigate why is anyone here ?

As others - I can't watch videos at the moment.

So it's not that simple.

If I judge a research presentation on the first two minutes I'm doing something wrong.

Edit - Plus it's the T&Cs of the site - that's the simple part. If someone can't summarise a video, despite length, then they're simple. Simple.
edit on 28-11-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

oh - FFS - at least maintain internal consistency in yuor " argument " for a single paragraph

first you claim that vids may be so complex that its impossible to provide a synopsis

then you claim that " watch the first 2 minuites "

which is it - impossible to summarise - or clear from the first 2 min ?

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The first Mod who appears will point out that people need to "Alert" these things.

"What think you, ATS?"

Yep.

That would be the thing to do.

Bottom line if you can't explain the video you just watched or provide context, then you eithe didn't watch it or didnt' understand it, and sharing it here with other people is just silly.

Now if you watched it and want input because you didn't understand it, then that makes for an interesting little paragraph that results in the same thing, which is context.

~Tenth
edit on 11/28/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'd like to add, if the thing's over 15 minutes in length total, you should pick a few points you consider to be the most central, compelling bits and time index them. If you can't do that, then it's probably all bull cookies.

"You have to watch ALL OF IT" for a video of any length is just a Gish Gallop with pictures. Especially if the video is an execrable pile of crap, like the Russian one proposing that life used to be silicon based. Until there's some tit-for-tat torture we can inflict on the poster (like having to watch two hours of Nyan Cat), it would spawn a lot better conversation if the poster could say "at 48:07 the video makes the telling point that all energy is actually created from unicorn flatus" and we could skip right to replying to the teller's most cogent belief.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
I'd like to add, if the thing's over 15 minutes in length total, you should pick a few points you consider to be the most central, compelling bits and time index them. If you can't do that, then it's probably all bull cookies.

A lot of people do not fully watch the video they start a thread with, some are afraid someone else may beat them to posting it first!

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

"What think you, ATS?"

That's exactly what the alert function is for, and they would be absolutely right in directing people to utilize it. The mods have lives outside of here just like anyone else. They cannot be everywhere at once while they're logged in either, so they provide us with a way to let them know there's an issue that needs to be addressed. And if I'm not mistaken, those alerts are visible to all of the mods once they're sent.

Plainly put, if we see something that clearly violates TnC and we fail to utilize the tools we've been given, then we have very little ground for complaints about issues not being resolved. It takes less than 30 seconds to alert a post or an entire thread, and the mods respond very quickly...I think it's Tenth who has a link to click for assistance, but all of them are more than willing to help. It really is the right thing to do. Communication is key in a situation like this.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Not only videos but even links to articles sometimes don't even have excerpts or a decent summary. When people say "just watch the video" or "don't reply unless you read the whole article" I suspect that it's their own content and they're just spamming it on forums to get clicks.
edit on 28-11-2016 by MoreInterior because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Reporting thread OPs that contain nothing more than a link to a video / embedded video with just a few lines of text, like "check this out!" or "This is really bad!" etc, needs to be done in order to make us aware of it.

As it's been said, it is true: we can't be everywhere all the time, and we do not read every thread that we see. Some of us are just slap burned out on all the Trump or Hillary threads and don't even bother with them unless we get a complaint.

Anyone that starts a new thread will see a body of text in the text box telling them that their OP needs to be at least as long as that body of text (which will disappear the moment you click and start to put something in it). That amount of text is what we expect for a minimum OP. Anything less is subject to us removing the thread as a Minimal OP.

Anyone posting a video should be prepared to talk about the video in their OP, as we have members who are unable to watch the video that might be included. An OP should include the thread creator's thoughts, opinions and ideas on the video that they are presenting.

If any of you see an OP that is too short, or is nothing more than a link and a few words, then please use the Alert button on it for us. Don't assume that someone else will do it, or have done it, or that we are going to already know about it.

top topics

join