It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Education secretary condemns public show with gay characters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The new U.S. education minister has ridiculed PBS for an as yet unaired episode of "PostCards from Buster" that depicts two lesbian characters. Questions of appropriateness have been brought up mainly over the debate as to whether children at such a young age should be exposed to the subject, but also as to whether funds that went toward the making of the episode should be refunded, as the money is received from public tax dollars. PBS (Public Broadcasting Station) is a publicly funded organization that receives it's funding from "viewers like you". A similar situation took place several years ago in a controversy involving the Teletubbies, and a character named "Tinky Winky", and his seemingly ambiguous nature. However, the main differences between the two events are that in the situation involving the Teletubbies, there was no apparently intentional placement of a homosexual character into the show, yet in "PostCards from Buster" there is.

www.cnn.com
The not-yet-aired episode of "Postcards From Buster" shows the title character, an animated bunny named Buster, on a trip to Vermont -- a state known for recognizing same-sex civil unions. The episode features two lesbian couples, although the focus is on farm life and maple sugaring.
A PBS spokesman said late Tuesday that the nonprofit network has decided not to distribute the episode, called "Sugartime!," to its 349 stations. She said the Education Department's objections were not a factor in that decision.

"Ultimately, our decision was based on the fact that we recognize this is a sensitive issue, and we wanted to make sure that parents had an opportunity to introduce this subject to their children in their own time," said Lea Sloan, vice president of media relations at PBS.
PBS gets money for the "Postcards from Buster" series through the federal Ready-To-Learn program, one aimed at helping young children learn through television.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can understand that homosexuality is a very sensitive, and polarized topic on the U.S. today. It makes sense that although many people would initially feel this is some form of discrimination against the gay community, we must all remember that it is a very touchy subject, and that a station that receives public funding to produce episodes must be sensitive to that. Parents should be able to decide on their own when to tackle the subject of sexuality, and hopefully when they do, it will be done with logic and reason.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
They just broadcast the 'Sugartime' episode of 'Postcards from Buster'.

I don't know how much more inoffensive a show could be.

You have to be sick and twisted inside to see anything wrong with it.

I am sick an tired of having the religious right foisting its AGENDA on the rest of the nation.

I guess they are unhappy because they were present as a normal healthy family unit, instead of one-eye pussing freaks.

Some of these Religious right wingers are brain damaged.

Po from teletubies was supposedly gay.
Sponge Bob was promoting gay views.
These people are just wacked. They are so paranoid they are disturbed.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Maybe that is what's eating the Education Secretary, he has some nasty dreams and is a homophobic.

Sometimes I wonder as the true reason for some people that seems to go into a frenzy about homosexual issues.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

I am sick an tired of having the religious right foisting its AGENDA on the rest of the nation.

What some people don't seem to understand is that for a large portion of the nation, the actual agenda that is being foisted on the rest of the nation is the gay agenda, not the other way around.

Ghaleon4 is right, this is a very sensitive topic, more so because this nation was founded and grew to be what it is now as a Christian nation, but some people don't see that and think that everyone must accept the gay agenda and people must see it as something normal. Well, how exactly are you going to make people do this? Can you make gay people change their minds and make them see that men and women are what nature intended a couple to be?

Personally, i wouldn't care what people do among themselves, but i do agree that some issues are not right for children to see at an early age.

[edit on 9-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
We already talked about this in another thread but..

Can someone please tell me how these couples were identified as lesbians??

Are they kissing, holding hands, hugging, what?? Are they introduced as "So and So, and So and So - who are a couple of Lesbians..."

Is there a graphic which comes up which shows their names and underneath says "Lesbian Couple".

I haven't seen this and I haven't seen this answered..

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Buster asks the kids about having a lot of moms. (maybe 2 seconds) There is a family photo with the two mom's faces side by side.

Mostly what you see is the kids riding bikes around to places on errands. Getting a pan from the neighbor, maple syrup and cheese from local rural NH places.

Mostly kids will all want to go to New Hampshire to see the dairy farm, the maple syrup extraction, cheese making. They have an amazing extraction system for the maple sap with tubes running through the forest from 2500 trees. You see the guys making the syrup and putting all the milking machines on the cows.

Everyone has dogs. And as the show says it is muddy in early spring in NH.

It looks like a great place to live. They have a bon-fire to burn their christmas tree before Buster leaves.

That's it, the whole thing.

What people who object to this are saying is you can't portray real families as they exist if they happen to be gay. They expect that Gay people AND THEIR CHILDERN TOO should cower in the shadows, like a muslim woman is expected to, or as black people in this nation used to be expected to.

Maybe they object to these mothers hugging thier kids in some shots. Is hugging frowned on in conservative Christian families? Maybe that is some taboo in the bible. "Thou Shall Not hug thy children".

Could it be all the exposed cow udders that they object to?

Honestly anyone who sees it and objects must not like to see Gay families being healthy and happy and great places for children to grow up. They want it to be treated like some deep dark secret to be hidden from the world. Like the Jews in NAZI Germany.

I don't even think kids will even register that two moms together is anything of concern. That is what bigots are so afraid of.

new topics

top topics

join