It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Contaminants Found Near WTC Site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
High levels of asbestos, lead and other contaminants have been found in a vacant skyscraper badly damaged during the 2001 terror attacks, potentially complicating the rebuilding of ground zero. A consultant in the matter said concentrations of asbestos, lead and silica on the building's exterior and in elevator shafts, conduits and ductwork exceeded benchmarks set by the Environmental Protection Agency.

www.cnn.com
A consultant to the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. revealed the findings at a public hearing where neighbors, environmental advocates and union representatives talked about their concerns over plans to dismantle the 40-story Deutsche Bank building.

Critics of the plan fear the demolition will kick contaminants into the air and that workers inside the building would not be adequately protected.

"Workers are essentially, and unfortunately, the canaries for the community," said David M. Newman of the nonprofit New York Committee for Occupational Safety and Health.

Government permits are needed before the plan can proceed.

EPA officials say they are not opposed to the dismantling, but support steps to reduce the environmental impact.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I used to work in the asbestos removal field, nasty stuff.

EPA officials say they are not opposed to the dismantling, but support steps to reduce the environmental impact.

You'd think that the EPA would be very concerned and would have a lot more to say about this. Just wait.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
There are a number of regulations that have been in existence for some time that regulate the release of asbestos and other materials from buildings under demolition. (Google NESHAP and demolition). OSHA regulations for worker protection from lead, silica and asbestos are also very strict.

I suspect that some ulterior motives for making a big stink over this.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

I suspect that some ulterior motives for making a big stink over this.

Yes, this is a very strange report considering the whole area was similarly contaminated from the day the buildings went down. Why is this considered an event all of the sudden?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
the asbestos was the main reason bringing the towers down legally was not cost effective. the towers were too expensive to take down, and too expensive to upgrade.
it was very 'lucky' for the new owner, silverstein, that the planes(and the explosives, of course) brought the unprofitable towers down. also lucky he put a terrorism clause in his insurance policy.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
the asbestos was the main reason bringing the towers down legally was not cost effective. the towers were too expensive to take down, and too expensive to upgrade.
it was very 'lucky' for the new owner, silverstein, that the planes(and the explosives, of course) brought the unprofitable towers down. also lucky he put a terrorism clause in his insurance policy.

Some very interesting information, billybob. Good work.

and thanks.

Looks like a win-win situation all the way around for all our corporate buddies, huh?

[edit on 26-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is making news again because the demolition of the building is set to begin soon and the final plans and results of the most recent environmental study were presented by the Lower Manhattan Develoment Corp (LMDC) to the local community board last night.

The environmental study revealed that the contamination is worse than estimated. Also, in addition to the Deutsche Bank building, there is an adjacent smaller, yet similarly contaminated building at 4 Albany St that will also be taken down. There hasn't been any coordination of the demolition plans for the two buildings--but more of a concern is that the plans for this building are somewhat more opaque because it is privately owned.

However, the most concerning issue is that the plans to monitor contamination levels and alert the workers and community in case of toxicity are weak. As I live a few blocks from these buildings, this is of particular concern to me.

The residents of the area have been given assurances that these issues will be taken into consideration before the deconstruction begins and that these buildings will be taken down with care, but from what I have witnessed at the numerous construction sites down here, construction workers don't give a crap. It is scary walking around downtown. It is a regular occurrence on windy days for huge sheets of unsecured plywood to fly off of the top of the building-in-progress across the street from my apartment building. My neighbors and I are all surprised that no one has been killed as these walls land in the park or in the street at the base of the building. We constantly call 911, but the city doesn't seem to care. There is a new building that just started going up on the adjacent corner and two weeks ago the crane accidently dropped it's payload on top of a construction trailer. Over the summer, I was eating lunch in an outdoor cafe and a woman at the next table had to be rushed to the hospital because workers on the adjacent roof hurled debris on to her head. I shudder at the thought of these people being in charge of dangerous contaminants.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
I shudder at the thought of these people being in charge of dangerous contaminants.

The risk is relative. Most people are expose to far greater chemical hazards cleaning thier toilets.

Are you familiar with how NIOSH establishes exposure standards for chemicals?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

The risk is relative. Most people are expose to far greater chemical hazards cleaning thier toilets.

Are you familiar with how NIOSH establishes exposure standards for chemicals?

Do you mean NIOSH worker studies? They seem to be pretty random.

I don't clean my bathroom with friable asbestos, dioxins, PAH's or PCBs and I think that there is more to be concerned about here than Mr. Clean. Without regular EPA oversight and with moronic construction workers potentially dumping debris containing friable asbestos on the street (as they were caught doing during the supposed "careful" cleanup of the post office on Church street), I don't have much confidence, especially because there is no coordinated oversight of the deconstruction effort.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind living with this stuff on your doorstep everyday, but I do.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
"Deutsche Bank building"...
That explains alot, whenever you see something in the media and it traces back to Deutsche Bank, start digging on some info and you will turn something nasty up.
www.google.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Looks like a win-win situation all the way around for all our corporate buddies, huh?

[edit on 26-1-2005 by soficrow]

as always. nobody said they were dumb. just ruthless. REALLY ruthless. demonically, even.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
"Deutsche Bank building"...
That explains alot, whenever you see something in the media and it traces back to Deutsche Bank, start digging on some info and you will turn something nasty up.
www.google.com...

wow. good link. gold and oil make the world go round for the rich.
artists make a living on beauty.
technicians on technology.
farmers on survival.
academics and clergy on 'truth'.

the financial demons live on blood and sweat and misery of others. they are VERY well fed.

[edit on 31-1-2005 by billybob]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc

Perhaps you wouldn't mind living with this stuff on your doorstep everyday, but I do.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Actually it is my job to design and manage cleanups for those very toxins that you are so worried about. Certainly there are issues here, but without any hard data as to actual contaminant levels, we are just spinning our wheels and throwing out buzz words designed to sell newspapers.

In reality, I suspect that there are a number of issues here that have little to do with the actual contaminant levels and more to do with the costs.

be that as it may, it really doesn't sound that the scope of contamination is all that different from many buildings that I have had to deal with. Furthermore, the demolition process is such for a building of that nature that it will be completely gutted before the shell of the building will come down.

Like I said, 99% of risk is in the perception. For instance it is more than likely that you are breathing asbestos fibers right now. You almost assuredly have PCBs in your system, and if you have amalgam fillings, have ever broken a fluorescent light bulb, or even taken a chemistry class in high school, then you were probably exposed to high levels of mercury at some point in your life.

That is not to say that I wouldn't be caviler about these issues, but that you have to evaluate the reality verses the perception. If the state agencies that are charged with the protection of the public are involved, then rest assured that they will ensure that every protection required by law is taken. These people live for that. That is what they do.

Twitchy, billybob, you two are always good for a laugh. You constant attempts to deconstruct every aspect of of every day life into a conspiracy theory is just too funny sometimes.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Actually it is my job to design and manage cleanups for those very toxins that you are so worried about.

Twitchy, billybob, you two are always good for a laugh. You constant attempts to deconstruct every aspect of of every day life into a conspiracy theory is just too funny sometimes.

HAHA! why am i not surprised you work for a demolition company, HAHAHA!

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Did I say I work for a demolition company?

No I did not. Again, you jump to wild conclusions based totaly on your jaundices and delusional veiw of the world.

(Sorry, but I am cranky today
)

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
sorry, howard. i didn't know you were going to blow up!
it sounds like you work, if not directly for, at least subcontracting work for demo companies. where else would all these 'cleanups' be?

i admit, i was being a bit presumptuous, but i know enough about your expertise to indict you into the demolition knowhow hall of fame.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
No problem.

My clients are building owners, Schools, Property developers. etc.

Yes, I work with a lot of environmental abatement companies, demolition and construction companies, I also work extensively with architects, CIHs, regulatory agencies, engineers, building maintenance and the like.

top topics

join