It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern proof of evolution.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

You're a weak-minded, bigoted prick. Every time this subject comes up you attack people's religious beliefs as if that's the only reason someone wouldn't swallow your whitecoat Gods' BS hook, line, and sinker.

It's getting really old dude, no one even mentioned their religion.

So it's just a coincidence that the usual faces denying evolutionary science also happen to interpret the creation myths in their scripture literally.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

This really isn't too surprising considering the poaching pressure on the population. Another example of 'survival' evolution is the tiger snakes on the Bass Strait islands where the only real food source for the snakes is the mutton bird hatchlings and that's strictly seasonal. What has happened is those snakes now grow much faster and larger than their mainland counterparts because the only way a newborn snake can survive till the next bird breeding season is to grow large enough and fast enough to be able to consume a enough birds to live on the stored fat until their next meal.

There's a couple of human examples that occurred to me as well. The bushman of the kalahari desert are physically different (slightly) in their enhanced ability to store water in their bodies (the desert is extremely arid and that trait is a distinct survival advantage there so the whole population now has it). 'Iron overload disorder' or hyperferritinitis points to some place and time in the distant past where the enhanced ability to store iron in the body was a survival thing (iron is required for red blood cells). The average life span at that time meant most of the population didn't survive to an old enough age where the iron levels became dangerous, unlike these days where a significant percentage of the population has those specific genes and the 'overload' starts to cause liver & heart problems past the age of 60 or so. I'd call that one a redundant mutation unless there's an extended time in the future where iron bearing foods are in short supply (I have IOD so I'll be ready for it)
edit on 27/11/2016 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Evolution has been caught in the act, according to scientists who are decoding how a species of Australian lizard is abandoning egg-laying in favor of live birth.

Along the warm coastal lowlands of New South Wales (map), the yellow-bellied three-toed skink lays eggs to reproduce. But individuals of the same species living in the state's higher, colder mountains are almost all giving birth to live young.

Source

Obviously, thought this is the perfect thread to share this perfect example of modern day evolution. The same species, in two different environments. When I had first learned that a lizard evolved to a more mammalian style of giving birth...I was amazed...but obviously, this does prove evolution is still occurring all around us!

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Prior to the evolution of waxing and the 'lady shaver' men showed a distinct preference for their ladies to be less hairy thus forcing evolution a little. The end result? baldness became more common over time. Always there's a price

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

A similar thing has been happening with humans and penis size.

But seriously, anyone who has studied evolution it's pretty obviously true. Fish have two eyes, two nostrils, hands and feet fins, and we have a tail bone. All the animals eat through their mouth and poop out their hole. All the animals with spines have similar spine bones. All land mammals have tits, hearts, and lungs. Over millions and millions of years animals have adaptations that are perfectly optimized to take full advantage of their environments in terms of acquiring food and procreation. There is tons of evidence supporting the theory. There just is no doubt in my mind that evolution is science fact.

That's said, I don't understand why theist even care about evolution. What difference does it make if it is science fact that we came from monkeys? The real question is why theists faith in God so weak. An omnipotent God can create the Universe in any amount of time including all the fake fossil and carbon dating evidence. So if creationism your favorite delusion then whatever floats your boat. Any theist who does not accept evolution as science fact or thinks evolution is somehow a threat to God or their religion is just displaying their own lack of faith in their own beliefs.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Evolution has been caught in the act, according to scientists who are decoding how a species of Australian lizard is abandoning egg-laying in favor of live birth.

Along the warm coastal lowlands of New South Wales (map), the yellow-bellied three-toed skink lays eggs to reproduce. But individuals of the same species living in the state's higher, colder mountains are almost all giving birth to live young.

Source

Obviously, thought this is the perfect thread to share this perfect example of modern day evolution. The same species, in two different environments. When I had first learned that a lizard evolved to a more mammalian style of giving birth...I was amazed...but obviously, this does prove evolution is still occurring all around us!

Anyone who studies the chain it's amazing how it's like step by step to animals with more complexity. When I studied evolution I was just amazed by how obvious it is in terms of how animals are so similar. It's actually shocking the first time you see all the similarities shared by animals. And also, it's really amazing how animals are so specialized to take optimally take advantage of their living conditions.
edit on 27-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
If no-one has brought it up yet, bacteria is an excellent example of forced evolution. Every time the latest whizzbang antibiotic is deployed there are some survivors which are the only ones left to multiply so we are actually building the 'superbugs' that are becoming a larger threat to us every day by eliminating the non resistant portion of the population. Life always finds a way to survive even if it's at the expense of other populations.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: Raggedyman

The animal in your avatar evolved from the large and reptile-like temnospondyls. Small continuous changes over millions of years and you get that adorable froggy.

it's not developing into anything other than an elephant, it's not evolving

When enough changes occur over time they will no longer be able to breed with their 'parent' population and will then become a distinct species as far as we classify.

Cool, prove it with empirical evidence

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

evolution [ biology ] :

the change in frequency of alleles in a population over time

the OP is spot on - it is not ludicous - it does not require faith and the only straws being grasped are by you

So you are going to show me the change in alleles in the elephant
Yeah right

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Prove what? I said multiple things in that quote.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That's said, I don't understand why theist even care about evolution.

I would imagine because they know it's incompatible and that creates internal turmoil. It's unfortunate for them that their holy book makes so many truth claims about the physical universe. Had it stuck to metaphysics there wouldn't be all this head-butting between science and religion. Oh well. Lessons learned. Next time someone invents a religion out of their butts they will know better

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Prove what? I said multiple things in that quote.

Only the things you want to prove
I don't e peat you to prove everything, I mean you were just saying what you think right
Not like that any or all of it needs to be justified, it's inly science, why does science need proof anyway.
If it had proof I wouldn't call it a religion

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Of course the elephants are adapting to their surroundings and changing. Some refer to this type of adaptation as "microevolution." It has been scientifically proven because it can be observed and repeated as per the scientific method. Take dogs for example. Just within the span of human history, every breed of dog has "evolved" from wolves. However, dogs are still canis lupus. They're still the same species. Dogs can interbreed with wolves, even after thousands of years of genetic variation and human-guided interbreeding.

The question on the table is, does "macroevolution" happen? That is, can one species truly become an entirely different species? Are these elephants on their way to becoming something entirely different? Maybe. But it can't be proven scientifically, because that experiment would take millions and millions of years to play out, repeat, and observe. You can say there's "evidence" for macroevolution until you're blue in the face, but until it can truly be proven via the scientific method, it's still a matter of faith, whether you're placing it in the THEORY of evolution...or God. That's up to you.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

a reply to: dfnj2015

That's said, I don't understand why theist even care about evolution.

I would imagine because they know it's incompatible and that creates internal turmoil. It's unfortunate for them that their holy book makes so many truth claims about the physical universe. Had it stuck to metaphysics there wouldn't be all this head-butting between science and religion. Oh well. Lessons learned. Next time someone invents a religion out of their butts they will know better

Again you are imagining, there are many in the Christian church who readily and happily accept evolution
If you had proof you wouldn't be butting your head into faithscience, you would show the empirical evidence

Evolution, invented from imaginings, excuses and many butts

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Only the things you want to prove

Well then that would be none honestly. I don't care if you don't believe in evolution, just as you likely don't care I don't believe in religion. Examples were already provided from other members in this thread. What were your thoughts there?

Not like that any or all of it needs to be justified, it's inly science

It most definitely needs justification. The scientific methodology is a rigorous process. If science were merely people throwing out hypotheses with no further investigation then we wouldn't have computers, cars, microwave ovens...

If it had proof I wouldn't call it a religion

So you're saying religions don't have proof?

there are many in the Christian church who readily and happily accept evolution

I'm aware of this. That does zero to rectify the fact scripture makes truth claims about how the Universe and life came to be that doesn't match our evidence.

It's great many Christians are not denying our modern knowledge in that regard. The Bible itself is set in stone. Unless god updates it I suppose.

you would show the empirical evidence

Do you hold your own feet to this fire?
edit on 27-11-2016 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy: "The animal in your avatar evolved from the large and reptile-like temnospondyls. Small continuous changes over millions of years and you get that adorable froggy. "

Raggedyman: "Cool, prove it with empirical evidence"

You were saying?

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Farlander

The question on the table is, does "macroevolution" happen? That is, can one species truly become an entirely different species?

Is speciation something that occurs?

There was a point in Earth's history when it was just single-celled organisms. Many steps later we got apes that post memes on Facebook.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie

Lucid Lunacy: "The animal in your avatar evolved from the large and reptile-like temnospondyls. Small continuous changes over millions of years and you get that adorable froggy. "

Raggedyman: "Cool, prove it with empirical evidence"

You were saying?

That's very cool, I have the faith now, I am a believer, that picture IS empirical evidence, oh wow
Nothing else needed, drawings of animals is science
Never knew why they paid scientists money when they should have just got illustrators in

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I don't have to hold my feet to the fire LL, I am not claiming religion is a science.
You are the one claiming that your beliefs are the science, I am asking for the evidence

It's a game you can't win, there is no empirical evidence.
Elephants grow tusks then they don't and one day they do again maybe.
You have no proof of evolution, just fewer elephants with tusks, Indian elephants don't have much in the way of tusks either
Your point is moot

Micro evolution and macro, I want proof elephants evolve into whales

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Seeing as you're so adamant about denying reality, what do you propose is the explanation for biodiversity on this planet?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join