It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retailers Cause Black Friday Chaos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
a reply to: schuyler

As disgusted as I am with the Black Friday tradition, no one is to blame for the chaos other than the people causing the chaos. You can't blame retailers. They never told anyone to go out and fight to the death for a bargain. If you want to point the finger, point it at the social degenerated who fight over material luxury items.

Like WatchItBurn said, "personal responsibility".

but as covered before, they have some responsibility involved

Yes the individuals who act the fool or act violently are of course responsible yet there seems to something you miss.

I'm just playing with numbers for the sake of the theoretical argument

Let's say Black Friday tradition started in 2000 and went off without a hitch. In 2001, several sporadic riotous events occur. I 2002 they get worse. Worse each year over and over. Now, 16 years later, are you telling me that with all the stores knowing FIRST HAND how it turns out, they don't get even a bit of the responsibility for creation and support of the overall madness?

No...of course you don't blame the companies for these individual actions but at some point, I believe that the stores have had a long time to realize this keeps happening and if they keep supporting it, even thought the indirect action of continuing the tradition...they share some responsibility.

I love the rant btw

I may not use my business background often, but Black Friday, from a purely business perspective has several negatives for the bottom line

money.cnn.com... anksgiving-no-sales-boost/

Opening on Thanksgiving is barely boosting sales not to mention the bad press and social media discussion regarding making family members work on a holiday. But for pure bottom line, the extra day and extra shopping means more pay going to employees...further offsetting potential and razor sharp profit increase

[url=http://www.medallia.com/resource/black-friday-hurting-retail-business/]http://www.medallia.com/resource/black-friday-hurting-retail-business/[/ur l]

harms the financial bottom line through human metrics as well

Not to mention the potential for loss during the slowed down, but still heavy holiday purchase season following Black Friday due to things like product lag following such a massive and forced spending spree.

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Black Friday is a fairly recent tradition which satisfies the needs of overstocked retailers who need to make room for fresh inventory. In the electronics industry that typically involves updated specifications for said gamers.

The chip manufacturers AMD and Intel are particularly vulnerable to slow sales issues because their phased development roll outs are selling into an increasingly saturated customer base.

I recently put together a budget desktop system with an I3-6100 for around $400 using Black Friday Corsair brand stuff in the color red that didn't sell.

The BIOS of the motherboard has options for 4373 mhz memory that will probably not be available in low latency for the 1151 socket ever.

Do emotions get the better of us and cause us to make bad purchase decisions?
Well of course, but some of the themed hardware like the Dell alienware does look pretty cool.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join