It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese swords and or Japanese script

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have never seen a Japanese-made sword with words on the blade. Perhaps stuff engraved, or scratched in by the owner, is possible, I just haven't see it. Anyway, I agree with others that the raised script is likely not genuine.

As for the script, my Japanese is getting rusty, but the left side says:

昭和
十五年
"Showa (era) 15th year" (Showa started on 1926.12.25 ... so that would mean about 1931 or 1932)

The next two characters I don't know and am having trouble finding. Also looked in a Chinese dictionary, and the two radicals (of the second one) inside the first one don't seem to go together. Second thing, the stuff inside the box of the first one (with no bottom) doesn't seem to correspond to anything either. Because I'm not a native speaker, I'm not sure if these match "shortcut" versions of those kanji, however. I'm not really familiar with shorthand versions of characters, but I know they exist for some characters - but, it would seem a bit odd to me to not use the official character for engraving or permanently including text on a sword.

"to protect"

"to decide"

Hope this helps a bit!

EDIT: bigger pictures, lots of light might help identify those other ones. Could be that I can't see the strokes properly.
edit on 26-11-2016 by SomethingLingual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Military swords generally go for around $300-500. Older relics should be in the $1200-$5000 if it is an interesting history that can be documented.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
I also have no idea on the age (16th century just came to my mind) lol, I'm sure someone will have lots more answers than most of us do.

Definitely not 16th century lol. The sword even claims that it's less than 100 years old (see my previous post)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: SomethingLingual

"to protect" 决 "to decide"

hey thanks man. I tried looking up stuff earlier. I can take some better pics tomorrow if you want to give it another go at the translation...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Perhaps you could trace the characters? You might want to check in the biggest city in your state for either an embassy or even university that offers oriental based courses. Museums are a possibility. Check on eBay as well in case you might get at least a lead to someone who can answer language questions. If you REALLY want to work at it, you might want to contact Antiques Roadshow. There's a ton of possibilities out there! Good luck!

Could it be the Japanese equivalent to: "Kilroy was here"? 😝
edit on 26-11-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomethingLingual

I also have no idea on the age (16th century just came to my mind) lol, I'm sure someone will have lots more answers than most of us do.

Definitely not 16th century lol. The sword even claims that it's less than 100 years old (see my previous post)

Lol.. I really didn't think so just looks old, guess as you said less than 100 years, if it were 16th century it would be worth over a million depending on who made it.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Rubicon3

now that would be something... Other than Kelleys heroes, not sure where thats from

"Kilroy was here"

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

Stranger things have happened! I couldn't tell about the age and quality very well from the pics, so I wasn't really making a judgement. Just going by the text. Still, if it was several centuries old and predicted the Showa era...I would think it would be worth even more somehow! lol

Sure, I can give it another try. The first two characters on the right side seem somewhat familiar to me, but I couldn't find the exact stroke orders that they look like on your pictures. The last one on the right side I also wasn't 100% on, but I think what I included might be it.

Thing is, often two or more characters go together (just like Chinese), but those last two characters don't seem to make up a word. So, I was thinking, perhaps each of those right-side characters is part of a mantra. (Kind of like many US police forces' "to serve and protect"). Not really sure, just a possibility.
edit on 26-11-2016 by SomethingLingual because: confusing typo

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SomethingLingual

yeah I dont think its worth a lot. I see a number also. not stamped in like ww2 swords. same style as the characters. I will charge up my camera and take some pics tomorrow. I will post them here and if you get a chance to look great.

I am too tired tonight all of a sudden.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Is the marking on both sides?

Chinese replica I'd guess.

See personal.cheness.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Dad was on his way to invade Japan when they dropped the bombs. He was stationed by where Fukushima is now. His barraks were destroyed by the tsunami. On Christmas eve all the soldiers were sent single file through a room fillwd with Japanese swords and allowed to pick one. Dad got a nice samaraui sword in a hard leather case. Its razor sharp. Obviously it is pre 1940s. I dont recall it having any writing on it, certainly not large characters like that

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Its a chinese made fake . See them all the time over here .
The writing decorative and doesnt mean anything .

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Looks pretty much exactly like he one in the picture. Thanks

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

If I remember at least part of the tale correctly, it began during WW II and had something to do with QC (quality control) and our ships. Supposedly there actually was a guy named "Kilroy" who had to annotate his name regarding QC and ended up using it in a phrase for his signature. I guess it caught on and spread like wildfire, even ending up in the oddest places in Europe... pretty much 'round the world by the time it was over!

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Thanks you so much

edit on 18-6-2017 by khanhhoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Japanese?? Have you tried Chinese?

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

100℅ agree, and usually i think most are engraved at the bottom end of the blade under the handle grip?

Not true at all. I recently saw an exhibition of samurai swords and armor at the Cincinnati Art Museum and the most notable ones had highly detailed engravings on much of the blade.

You can see one of the better ones here.

edit on 18-6-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I have a ww2 Japanese officers sword. This looks much older.

I would say by at least a 50 years or more.

Nice find!

I dont think its a fake. I think its just old.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Yeah, I have seen them on plenty. Not out of the norm.

edit on 6 18 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join