It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese swords and or Japanese script

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I bought a sword on an online auction today. Japanese Samurai type sword. It has some script etched or engraved into it and was wondering if anybody knew how to read it and or anything about swords.

I tried some google photo translate thing but no luck.

Hmmmm, I can't access my photo library, I just uploaded a couple pics ...

If anybody knows of such things I will try again to get the pics up.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Is it on the blade it's self or at the bottom below the handle?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

on the blade,

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

pic]dh583a0246.JPG[/pic]

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

On the blade?!

Who in their right mind do such a thing to the blade?!

Anyway, I notice that the characters are elevated relative to the blade. The steel itself doesn't look like ancestral folding technique. All in all, seems like a rather poor imitation of a samurai sword.

Do you know who's the manufacturer?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I have not exposed the tang and honestly dont expect too... I know it is not a rare sword, just curious if anybody knows what it says

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Well, at least the handle length and the criss-crossed grip have been respected. I'm almost surprised.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

on the blade,

Very nice, how old? I'll say 16th century or fake imitation. not sure, no expert on sward's.

Usually writing on samurai swords are by the black smith who made it and which dynasty/warrior group their from.

Can't help on what it says cause i don't read/speak Japanese.
edit on 26-11-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: errors

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I wouldnt say they are "elevated' per se.... I do not know the mfg, would have to take off the handle and see the tang, May say "made in china"....

I do know it is magnetic so it is steel, and has a nice twang to it... kinda like a high carbon steel sheet has

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Yes, engraved is the key word here. Traditional, ancestral japanese swords are made by folding steel up to a thousand of times over to ensure that the blade is strong. They don't plaster their mark on it, they engrave it. The mark on the op's sword looks like it has been soldered on, not engraved in the blade. That's not traditional technique.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Bending the blade might give a clue as to the strenght of the metal. Is it rigid, or springy? When bent, does the blade look like it's gonna fold in two, or is there an arch from tip to guard?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Very nice, how old? I'll say 16th century or fake imitation.

I have no idea, that is why I am asking. actually I do have an idea, Late 1970's....

I just know that there are experts here on almost anything given the right time to post...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Yes, engraved is the key word here. Traditional, ancestral japanese swords are made by folding steel up to a thousand of times over to ensure that the blade is strong. They don't plaster their mark on it, they engrave it. The mark on the op's sword looks like it has been soldered on, not engraved in the blade. That's not traditional technique.

100℅ agree, and usually i think most are engraved at the bottom end of the blade under the handle grip?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

almost how ductile is it?

not flimsy at all, I wouldnt want to get hit by it....it has some give, not much

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

True. Whenever possible, authentic Japanese method would try and leave the blade as perfect as they could. Certainly not like the blade in the op.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I dont think it has been soldered on, maybe acid etched... I am sure this sword is no antique. I mean, I can wish and hope it is but pretty sure it is not.

Just curious as to what the characters say.... maybe say" this sword very old, worth much money"....lol

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07

Very nice, how old? I'll say 16th century or fake imitation.

I have no idea, that is why I am asking. actually I do have an idea, Late 1970's....

I just know that there are experts here on almost anything given the right time to post...

I also have no idea on the age (16th century just came to my mind) lol, I'm sure someone will have lots more answers than most of us do.

I hope you didn't pay to much just incase it's fake.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I hope you didn't pay to much just incase it's fake.

well lets just say i didnt and leave it at that...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I might be wrong but it looks like a fairly new (post ww2) military weapon. All officers were issued similar looking pieces. The makers mark or clan mark, if it's older, will be on the tang. To take it apart, simply push out the dowels on the handle. If you are so inclined.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join