It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Fake News Just For Right-Wingers: A Huge Industry

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You said this:

Only one set of "facts" matter, and that's the one you're pushing.

This whole "fake news" thing is really a godsend for the liberals right now, isn't it?

Now if you could just do away with that pesky electoral college, eh?

I said this was false equivalence because this is not about "liberals" pushing their own set of facts, it is about an overwhelming preponderance of false news catering to right wingers which does not contain facts.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
A Field Guide to Lies: Critical Thinking in the Information Age

Found this while following a link to Business Insider that was provided above. A Psychologist explains how to establish whether a site should be taken seriously or not, and the tricks to weed through them.

The same as the stuff that I learned.

And, incidentally, it's EXACTLY THE SAME WAY that religion works.

And that's why so many of us are on ultra-high-alert for the shrapnel from the fallout of this charade..... it's not going to be smooth and easy. Righteous anger is righteous. Bridge has been blown up.

Seems to be.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

It's mostly that you're just being pissy. It's difficult to force myself to stop and read your remarks. They aren't contributing anything productive. Instead they are derogatory, denegrating, mocking, and just in general rather stinky and slimy.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyElohim

I also said that that was an attack on the position that liberals wouldn't, and don't, fall for fake news. Ever. At no point did I say that liberals and conservatives fall for fake news in equal numbers, or that there's equal amounts of fake news directed at both parties. Simply that there are liberals that push a false narrative.

That's not a false equivalence, it's a different point being made. The point being that liberals, who pushed a false narrative all through the election cycle, are now crying about a different kind of fake news that isn't of their own creation.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

It's mostly that you're just being pissy. It's difficult to force myself to stop and read your remarks. They aren't contributing anything productive. Instead they are derogatory, denegrating, mocking, and just in general rather stinky and slimy.

Ah I see. So comment after comment of mocking the right is okay, because it's your shtick, but having it pointed out that it's slimy and stinky to do so, especially in the patronizing manner you elect to do it in, isn't okay?

The lulz are strong with your complex.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

. At no point did I say that liberals and conservatives fall for fake news in equal numbers, or that there's equal amounts of fake news directed at both parties. Simply that there are liberals that push a false narrative.

That's not a false equivalence, it's a different point being made.

Show us one. SHOW US a left-wing site that pushes lies. We'll take it apart together. Do the "Who Is" and research the Alexa, the layout, the quality of the posts, the number of ads that pop up or alarm the user........

like those "we couldn't believe these 15 photos showing humans being eaten alive by monsters! CLICK NOW HERE!"

Yeah. That crap. That crap that scams unwitting surfers just the same as craigslist "wire me the money first", and email SPAM. It's not like it's new. In fact, I'd wager that you aren't much older than my son, and went to something like "ITT Tech" to learn your craft.

If you are a legitimate expert, then behave like one, and cease insulting the others on the thread who obviously have lived (and very valid) experience that spans beyond your lifetime in combined learning hours.

Be decent. State your case, and then sit down.
Please.

and P.S.

NOT The Onion. No.

Now. I will tell you that Kos does, indeed, push from the left. About the same as Breitbart pushes from the right.
In my opinion.

That's why I read things like Reuters, and other 'intellectual' papers, and am choosy about who I listen to. Reuters and NPR are my main sources at the moment.

So - now you show me one for one......all of the right-wing talk-show hosts vs on the left....the data for where the audience is targeted and by whom.....you show me where left-wing propaganda sheer lies are being peddled. We'll go after them together.

edit on 11/27/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: JohnnyElohim

I also said that that was an attack on the position that liberals wouldn't, and don't, fall for fake news. Ever. At no point did I say that liberals and conservatives fall for fake news in equal numbers, or that there's equal amounts of fake news directed at both parties. Simply that there are liberals that push a false narrative.

That's not a false equivalence, it's a different point being made. The point being that liberals, who pushed a false narrative all through the election cycle, are now crying about a different kind of fake news that isn't of their own creation.

And that smacks of false equivalence to me. What is this "false narrative" that has been pushed by "liberals", exactly?
edit on 27-11-2016 by JohnnyElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Ah I see. So comment after comment of mocking the right is okay, because it's your shtick, but having it pointed out that it's slimy and stinky to do so, especially in the patronizing manner you elect to do it in, isn't okay?

The lulz are strong with your complex.

LOL!!

Soooo.....thennnnnnn...not ready.
I don't know where you see mocking coming from me. I thought the readers of ATS would be glad to know they have been manipulated. I know that I learned some stuff about how to build, maintain, run, code, and tweak websites....I learned what the tell-tale signs of scraping and mirroring are.

I learned a lot of stuff that you, mr programmer and developer, might not be aware of. My husband is a senior software engineer conversant at the network and 1s and 0s level. But that doesn't mean he knows how to build a website. Or read CSS. So stop trying to demean my own knowledge.

Be on the same page, so we can all just move forward. Fake news is bad.

AGREED?

FAKE NEWS IS BAD.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Show us one. SHOW US a left-wing site that pushes lies. We'll take it apart together. Do the "Who Is" and research the Alexa, the layout, the quality of the posts, the number of ads that pop up or alarm the user........

Just one? Ok.

Donald Trump mocks reporter's disability

At a rally in South Carolina Tuesday, when GOP frontrunner Donald Trump was defending the contention that "thousands and thousands of people" cheered the September 11th terrorist attack in Jersey City, New Jersey, he did an impression of a reporter's physical handicap.

The reporter was Serge Kovaleski, who had, according to Politico, previously covered Trump when he worked for the New York Daily News. He also helped write a September 2001 Washington Post story that Trump has been using to back up his claim about what he saw at the attacks.

"Written by a nice reporter. Now the poor guy. You ought to see this guy," Trump said.

When he made fun of Kovaleski verbally, Politico reported, he launched "into an impression which involved gyrating his arms wildly and imitating the unusual angle at which Kovaleski's hand sometimes rests."

Kovaleski suffers from arthrogryposis, which according to the National Institutes of Health, can impact the function and range of motion of joints and can cause muscles to atrophy. Kovaleski was familiar to Trump because he had, according to Politico, covered Trump for several years when he worked for the New York Daily News.

Are you ready for the proof? Here it comes...

Wait for it...

Good luck and have fun trying to spin that.

www.catholics4trump.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I asked for one. You provided it. Don't jump to conclusions like you just bitch-slapped me or something. That's just rude.

IN FACT. Let's watch them all right now!

No - you know what? Because you were SO INSUFFERABLY RUDE, I WILL NOT watch your stupid videos that claim stupid things that you believe.

So, whatevz. Guess I'll meet you at the corner of NE and VER.
Well done you.

You really don't see how stupid that sounds? Really?
yikes

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

No - you know what? Because you were SO INSUFFERABLY RUDE, I WILL NOT watch your stupid videos that claim stupid things that you believe.

Thank you so much for proving my point. I couldn't have done a better job myself, I do not think.

And while I'm here, what did I say that was rude? Lovely how you're trying to dodge your own challenge.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

You are trolling, and rude, and your 'schtick' is not lost on me. I just pointed that out to you....that I'm aware of what you are doing.

Then I did a PARODY of your ilk acting all clever..........but you can't even grasp it. I know. I have family members who are like that. You can mock their behavior ----- or rather, MIRROR IT PRECISELY, and they STILL won't see it!

THEY STILL WON'T. They won't see how they are.
They can't.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

You are trolling, and rude, and your 'schtick' is not lost on me. I just pointed that out to you....that I'm aware of what you are doing.

Then I did a PARODY of your ilk acting all clever..........but you can't even grasp it. I know. I have family members who are like that. You can mock their behavior ----- or rather, MIRROR IT PRECISELY, and they STILL won't see it!

THEY STILL WON'T. They won't see how they are.
They can't.

I'm still waiting for you to participate in the challenge you've created.

Are you going to address my points or are you just going to deflect & ad hom your way out of your own lies?

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

You're really stating liberals don't have fake news?

I can spot "fake news" what I can't take is progressives opinions as the only absolute truth because they think they're intellectually and morally superior.

fake news isn't why you lost and if you can't identify the problem you'll lose again

edit on 28-11-2016 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Nope! Not stating that.

Posted an article. It was an interview from NPR (National Public Radio) of a guy who owns a media network that deliberately deceives whoever they can. He said that the people of the right-wing more often (and easily) fall for it, but the left-wing tends to be more cautious in accepting things as "real."

Please address the topic.

The mods re-opened this thread after review, and I think that's a good thing. I read through the links that DTOM posted with the temporary closure. Please read those links to yourself. Please respect the T/Cs, and make your contributions count.
Thanks.

No one said the people on the "left" never fall for hoax news. All he said was that it was easier with the group on the "right" than with the other. This fact addresses the methods and venues via which information is disseminated. People who don't require as strenuous a regimen of backup to feel convinced, vs people who are naturally skeptical and want to hear it from other sources that they respect.

It has to do with finding sources that one 'respects' after comparing them to other sources.

edit on 11/28/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: DTOM: Thank you.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

fake news isn't why you lost and if you can't identify the problem you'll lose again

To whom are you saying "you lost"?

And Fake News is FAKE NEWS, and has nothing to do with "me" losing. It has to do with fake news and people who think it's real news and then react as though it is real news and then it turns out to not be real news after the damage is done.

Rumors, you know? Remember middle school? RUMORS. Rumors have never been conducive to mass awareness.

edit on 11/28/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The label "fake news" is real news that applies to TPTB. "Fake news" is news the govt wishes never saw the light of day so they just deny it outright.

Now, the MSM considers it acceptable to fully twist an undeniable story to the point where a baby rabbit is perceived to be a rabid wolf. I call it lying.

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.” ― Adolf Hitler

This is propaganda with the intention of brainwashing.

Video - Hillary Clinton: US Losing Information War to Alternative Media
This article is 5 years old and at that time the war was with non-U.S. based websites. The mentality still applies to U.S. Alternative New sites, especially since she lost the election and TPTB realized MSM is losing credibility.

For those of you who have been following PizzaGate ask yourself what horse NYT has in this other than being lapdogs to the master they serve?

Fake News Onslaught Targets Pizzeria as Nest of Child-Trafficking

“We are at a dangerous place in American culture where a good percentage of people aren’t distinguishing what is a real news source based on real reporting and fact-checking and only reinforcing pre-existing ideas they have,” Ms. Kleinman said.

I saw no fact checking in the article re: the allegations. It was a one sided piece about the harassment Alefantis and staff are receiving.

Mr. Alefantis mingles with other Washington chefs and his establishment helped him to be named No. 49 in GQ magazine’s 50 most powerful people in Washington in 2012. His customers include some high-powered locals, such as Tony Podesta, the brother of John Podesta, whom Mr. Alefantis knows casually.

How does a pizza parlor owner get to be ranked the 49th most powerful man in DC.? Sure, the other chefs made it happen.

edit on 11/28/2016 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

a reply to: Logarock

You didn't read the article. Libs don't fall for the fake news sites.

This is the most pretentious, arrogant, deluded, ridiculously of-base and close minded "i live in a bubble" thread i have seen so far on ATS.

-Everyone, out.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   

People who don't require as strenuous a regimen of backup to feel convinced, vs people who are naturally skeptical and want to hear it from other sources that they respect.

I went into the 1980s still wearing my "Question Authority" pin, and even Ronald Reagan said, "Trust, but verify". Thinking seemed to change by the end of the 1980s. By then a larger share of the populace had been exposed to cultural aspects where one was not supposed to question but just accept. An authority figure provided assurance that all one needed to do was live, vote a certain way and all would be well.

It was also a time where astroturf organizations started to mask themselves as caring grassroots organizations. If one didn't dig below the turf to see exactly who/what was behind that organization, one might find themselves being sold a bill of goods by a corporation/ideological entity. Americans changed from being citizens, "trust, but verify", to being consumers, "trust us, then buy".

That old story about PT Barnum and the "Egress". If one didn't know that "egress" was another word for "exit", then they fell for Barnum's trick. Educating oneself helps.

I can remember as a child standing in the checkout line at the grocery store staring at a legitimate news publication with its newsworthy cover, and next to it a publication with a black and white "photograph" of some mother holding her alien baby. Good Lord, it was obvious it was fake, and I never knew how adults would waste their money buying that paper! And, yet they did. And maybe that's the same need to believe something that, to others, is either obviously fake or suspiciously fake.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join