It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French TV Bans Smiling Down Syndrome Kids - Dear Future Moms Banned As Offensive

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Because 90% of them are killed before being born, it is "offensive" to show these kids being happy and living life.

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

www.truthrevolt.org...

An award-winning video featuring happy children with Down syndrome has been banned from French TV by France’s Conseil d’État (State Council) because it may offend post-abortive women.

The video in question, "Dear Future Mom," touchingly featured children with Down syndrome of various ages bonding with their respective parents, educating mothers that such children can live a happy life and that they need not be worried.

Apparently, that message packed a little too much "microaggression" for France's State Council, which determined the video would "trouble the conscience of women who had made different personal life choices in compliance with the law."

"The law stipulates that only advertising messages or ‘messages of general interest’ be shown during commercial breaks" they said in a statement on its website. "The Council determined that this film does not constitute a ‘message of general interest'" and will likely "disturb women who have had recourse to a medical termination of pregnancy and thus is inappropriate for airing during commercial breaks."

Former president of the U.S. Bishops' Conference, Archbishop Joseph Kurtz of Louisville, who grew up with a Down syndrome brother, said he felt "saddened but not surprised" to learn of the ban.

"This is a ‘must see’ piece that effectively counters many of the old and misguided stereotypes about people with Down Syndrome that continue to live in the imagination of so many," said Kurtz. "Tragically across the globe, it is estimated that up to 90 percent of pregnancies with a Down Syndrome diagnosis end in abortion. I encourage all families who have received this diagnosis for their unborn child to view this video."

A petition from the Global Alliance for Disability in Media and Entertainment has been circulating in an attempt to get the Council to reconsider their Orwellian position.

"The discriminatory ban of the video sends the message that people with Down syndrome are unwelcome in society," states the petition.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This is absurd and horrifying. I'm not sure how much more backwards one can get in the name of progress.

Good find.. I sincerely hope the petition is successful.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This is just ridiculous, IMO.

Almost as ridiculous as some things here in the US that are decided by the government for us as we as a people are, obviously, unable to turn away when we are offended by something and need to be told what offends us and what doesn't.

If one is offended, don't look or participate or whatever. This fear of offending is getting a little carried away. and it seems as if folks are becoming more and more easily offended.

I just don't understand the world anymore, truly.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
France doesn't take too kindly to free speech.
edit on 26-11-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Noted.

edit on 26-11-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Never mind!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I'm finding French TV Offensive. This is a prime example of how the world is spinning in the wrong direction right now. And they're getting away with this sh|t?

All i can say is How? France also banned buying heirloom seeds to the general public, it's getting worse as time goes on.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Such a backwards step, I thought the days of hiding away people with downs had long gone.
If a woman chooses to abort because of downs then tough # if there are associated feelings of guilt when seeing a child with downs who wasn't aborted.
I am pro choice, and pro taking responsibility for choices.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
No matter the reason for their termination whether at will, for the sake of the child or for the sake of medical necessity, why should other parents be denied a sweet message of hope? Jesus. I know I like to baby and coddle people sometimes when their little feelings are hurt, and I appreciate the same. But sometimes you need to be told to suck it up and I think this is one of those times. Not only that but they are denying the children this message as well. Agh. Suck it up, be tough for your fellow man and woman.

-Alee

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Such a backwards step, I thought the days of hiding away people with downs had long gone.

Those days are not gone, though. At least not entirely.

My daughter recently began babysitting for a woman whose child has Downs. Her purpose for being there, along with teaching basics like colors sounds walking and such, is so that the mother can go out in the community running errands and what not without the child.
She, the child, apparently goes out rarely, if ever.

My daughter and I have discussed her working toward the goal of the mother allowing her to go do 'activities' in the community with her. Integration, IMO, is very important for the disabled individual, for their development and ours.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

This didn't sound right, so I had to follow up with verification and was surprised to see that this is indeed true!

What in the world is going on with these out-of-control authoritarian governments?!

So, if a woman snuffs out an emerging life because that child will have Down's syndrome, that woman is to be protected from a possible "bad conscience" triggered by those beautiful women that chose to let that life emerge and live a happy and meaningful life!?? The women that say, "look...my child is happy and brings joy to our family" are the ones to be shamed!? We are indeed living in a world slipping into a bizarre abyss.

The right to abort will probably always be, but so should the right to express and discuss alternatives. If a woman chooses to do it anyway, to heck with her conscience. She should live with it. She exercised her right to snuff it out

I am gobsmacked! Anyone who has ever been around these children know that they are naturally prone to happiness and respond to affection with smiles and hugs.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Promoting the prevalence of mental retardation is not "progress", and mental retardation is not something that we should be celebrating.
Mental retardation is not progress, it's the EXACT OPPOSITE.

I applaud France for keeping this feel-good "we're all equal" nonsense off the tv.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

My friends adult niece has downs and she is an absolute joy to be around. She even helps out in their family cafe and the regular customers love her.
This wish to hide them away for the protection of feelings of women who chose to abort actually saddens me.

I hope the woman in your story finds herself as proud of her child as any other in time.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
What if I show you smiling Isis fighters, and ask for dinations to give them prozac

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Wow, I understand why you chose your username

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Promoting the prevalence of mental retardation is not "progress", and mental retardation is not something that we should be celebrating.

I applaud France for keeping this feel-good "we're all equal" nonsense off the tv.

Are you kidding? Nobody is "promoting" mental retardation. Families celebrating the joy and happiness that a Down's syndrome child can bring to a family is NOT promoting the prevalence of mental retardation. Life is about many things and we progress by learning to deal with challenges and recognizing the beauty and growth that can come from overcoming them. Sheeeesh!

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I wish I didn't have to explain this to people, but "trollz" refers to the trolls of Scandinavian folklore.

Go ahead and explain to me how I'm wrong though, how mental retardation benefits society and helps human beings progress. Imagine if every single person born after this point in time had Down's Syndrome. Do you know what would happen? Human beings would go extinct. You know it's true whether you'll admit it or not.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Are you kidding? Nobody is "promoting" mental retardation. Families celebrating the joy and happiness that a Down's syndrome child can bring to a family is NOT promoting the prevalence of mental retardation. Life is about many things and we progress by learning to deal with challenges and recognizing the beauty and growth that can come from overcoming them. Sheeeesh!

In a way, allowing it to happen is promoting it. I feel that human beings should strive towards good health and intellect rather than becoming complacent with retardation or disability. I don't find mental retardation or Down's Syndrome to be beautiful, I think it's a perversion of nature. Down's Syndrome is a genetic disorder.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
People should be protected from statements which might "trouble their consciences"? We have definitely been there before;
"...who say to the prophets 'Prophesy not to us what is right; speak unto us smooth things..." (Isaiah ch30 v10).

edit on 26-11-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I wish I didn't have to explain this to people, but "trollz" refers to the trolls of Scandinavian folklore.

Go ahead and explain to me how I'm wrong though, how mental retardation benefits society and helps human beings progress. Imagine if every single person born after this point in time had Down's Syndrome. Do you know what would happen? Human beings would go extinct. You know it's true whether you'll admit it or not.

There is that one-layered thinking again. Your second sentence is too ridiculous to even comment on.

Down's syndrome children can lead meaningful lives and all of us can learn from opening our hearts to those with such challenges. We grow emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually when we are exposed to these challenges and work through them. I dare say if every person born after this point in time had your attitude, we would be extinct in short time.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Lets strive towards the perfect Master Race Volk under the New Order, right Partei Kameraden?

I'm not sure where I stand on this honestly. I'm not a "life begins at conception" guy, but your line of thought is quite terrifying.
edit on -060011am11kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Mental retardation is not common, why would you suggest that it is?
Accepting folks difference is progressive in my opinion, as you are entitled to yours.

Do you realize that some developmental disabilities occur after the child has left the womb? Intellectual disability can often be one of those?

Folks should not be hidden away or locked up to make the rest of the, normal, world 'feel better' or somehow not be given the opportunity for happiness and autonomy.

Should we go back to the dark ages of the court jesters, institutionalized and abused people, guinea pigs for practice of medical procedures?
Or is it better for the earth's population to give them the chance to contribute to society as they are able and live with and among the rest of us?

I think the latter.

If you would ever spend sometime with someone who has a disability you may be surprised how quickly you begin to dissociate that disability from the person and just see them for what they are...a fellow human.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join