It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protest Situation in Standing Rock, ND Over Oil Pipeline Turning Violent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Does a savings account return a profit? Yes or no?

If yes, you need to divest since the bank is most likely investing your money into evil corporations.

The ironic part is you told DB he needs to do his due diligence while investing but in your case having a savings account, which is also investing, is fine since you really cannot do anything about it. Maybe the Royal Bank of the Mattress would be a more humane option.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

We are talking about entirely separate financial products, clearly.

Savings account: place I have to store my money because there are no alternative means of doing so that create the same level of physical security for the cash I deposit.

Investment account: separate account into which I put money whose only purpose is to be gambled on the stock market, with a brokerage firm that I am able to contact to control the direction of money flow from my account, to firms the brokerage want to invest in on my behalf.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
We are talking about entirely separate financial products, clearly.

Which both return a profit due to being invested in various companies and fiscal instruments.

Not sure why it is not registering with you that the money you place into a savings account can be 'gambled on the stock market', hell, I would wager that your bank used some of your savings for the most egregious of all the recent investments, credit default tranches.

edit on 26-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Apparently the tribe was going to get $30,000,000 for use of the land to build this pipeline, but then the company decided to route it just outside of the Reservation land.

you know the sayin, money changes everything
here's cyndi's version

edit on 26-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ahh, but see, there are many existing pipelines already there, right next to where this is going to be built, that have had no problems supposedly for nearly 40 years. But yes, a reroute seems to me to be a viable solution. Just as long as I won't have to pay for it. And of course, I will, in the form of increasing oil prices and possibly taxes. But independence costs money. And it is projects like this that are going to bring it closer to home- in the absence of a green energy solution. Nonetheless, the best solution is one that takes into account all sides, and serves them in the best way possible. And if that means a reroute costing many more millions, then so be it.

Maybe this is just the straw the broke the camels back?

In order to get these pipelines through their land before it was most likely left up to people who just didn't care about the land and were paid off or were lied to.
This time around, doesn't look like they want that to happen again.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

It doesn't go through their land, the majority of the pipeline will be under the Missouri River, they are protesting that it might have an oil disaster and affect their main source of water.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

This situation has been going on for years, and involves four states. It is a massive operation. Other spills from pipes are a real concern, and the $ 250,000 of insurance taken out in this case to cover damages and remedies is allegedly "environmentally irresponsible" compared to much higher insurance amounts in similar cases like Alaska.

In July 2016, a group of youth from Standing Rock Indian Reservation created a group called ReZpect our Water and organized a cross-country spiritual run from North Dakota to Washington, D.C., to present a petition in protest of the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline.[9] Upon their arrival they delivered a petition to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The tribe sued for an injunction on the grounds that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had failed to conduct a proper environmental and cultural impact study. Protests had escalated at the pipeline site in North Dakota, with numbers swelling from just a bare handful of people to hundreds and then thousands over the summer.[32]

The Standing Rock Sioux tribe believes that the pipeline would put the Missouri River, the water source for the reservation, at risk. They point out two recent spills, a 2010 pipeline spill into the Kalamazoo River in Michigan, which cost over $1 billion to clean up with significant contamination remaining, and a 2015 Bakken crude oil spill into the Yellowstone River in Montana.[9][33][34] The Tribe is also concerned that the pipeline route may run through sacred Sioux sites. In August 2016 protests were held, halting a portion of the pipeline near Cannon Ball, North Dakota.[35][36] Peaceful protests continued and drew indigenous people from throughout North America, as well as other supporters. A number of planned arrests occurred when people locked themselves to heavy machinery.[37]

On August 23, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe released a list of 87 tribal governments who wrote resolutions, proclamations and letters of support stating their solidarity with Standing Rock and the Sioux people.[38] Since then, many more Native American organizations, politicians, environmental groups and civil rights groups have joined the effort in North Dakota, including the Black Lives Matter movement, indigenous leaders from the Amazon Basin of South America, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, the 2016 Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein and her running mate Ajamu Baraka, and many more.[39] The Washington Post called it a "National movement for Native Americans."[5][40]

en.wikipedia.org...

<< 1   >>

join