It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roland Martin interview with Richard Spencer of the Alt Right.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
That was a tough listen and I would have to say I disagree with both these men based on what they had to say. When blacks say "my people" does anyone think they're talking about Americans in general? Of course not. Identity politics plays to a sense of historical guilt which Martin repeated ad nausea with his "If you had an 80 yard head start". If anyone is getting a head start these days it is because they have parents that push early learning and value education - a burden solely on the shoulders of parents.

I agree with Spencer in the idea that people of European heritage should rightly celebrate their culture and history. One needn't go very far back in the history of any "civilized" people on the planet to find such horrors as slavery and genocide. China, Russia, Japan - you don't even have to go back 100 years. I don't see Saudis tearing down their whole society over slavery they outlawed in 1964 but which still goes on to this day. Nobody is telling Japan they need to be more diverse and demanding they take in Muslim refugees.

Btw my white father picked cotton as a kid to help keep the family fed. Whites have no claim to be the brains any more than blacks can claim to be all the labor. What we call American values which one might base upon such documents as the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution or the simplified 4 freedoms of FDR - freedom of speech, religion, freedom from want and from fear. Perhaps they were penned by white men and if you want to follow the history of such ideas they go all the way back to Martin Luther and the Reformation yet they were meant to apply to all people regardless of race, color or religion. Each group has played an important role in not just the building of America but in the ever-changing meaning of equality and fairness.

During the last election I dared to ask a LGBT friend of mine what freedoms they didn't enjoy (she had just married her partner) and instead of explaining what they lacked she decided to attack my character instead. This has happened repeatedly so by and large I fail to see what rights any minority in America does not have. So far as I can tell we have real equality (feel free to speak up if you disagree). Where do we go from here is the big question I suppose. I don't think either Martin or Spencer has a clear idea about that.

Eta: I don't think Spencer represents anyone except a very tiny subset of racist whites. What I think we need are: more and better paying jobs, reforming the tax code to help the working class and decriminalization of most drugs to stop the prison-go-round that has been used as a tool against Blacks and destroyed many families and futures in the process. Also limiting our global obligations be it foreign aid or military.
edit on 26-11-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: Bone75

Now my personal favorite, a white supremacist (for that's what he is) wanting to make claims on a long dead African civilization, simply because it was inspirational and continue to do so to this date.

My favorite part was Martin's response to that. He said that while black people were building pyramids, white people were still living in caves... 2 minutes later he says to Spencer... "your people had a head start". LOL

Seriously, thanks for this. Hell I might even look into this Alt-right movement now.

He is talking within the context of the U.S.A by then

Right.... just after acknowledging that black people got a headstart on everyone in the world.

edit on 26-11-2016 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Spencer couldn't even articulate consistently about whether or not Asians are deserving of their representation in Silicon Valley

How could Martin even make that argument with a straight face after pointing to the disproportionate amount of white congressional staffers and calling it racism?

Also if there is no such thing as race, then there's no such thing as racism either. Can't have it both ways.

This is where you missed the boat,"Race" is a social construct, not! scientifically based, meaning someone made this sht up based solely off appearance and is subject to change at a whim and varies from country to country and space and time, never the less race as a social construct is what most of us live by, hence we have the issue of "RACISM" which is very very real and affect ppl's lives.

Now as to white Ppl and their heritage, what do you supposed "we" and I mean all of us celebrate like it or not in all but less than five fingers counting on one hand for most of the year, so ubiquitous is it, it is taken as the norm without question, not to mention pop culture ie movies, plays etc .

But herein lays a difference between the reality and the myth of white folks losing out to others in that context, when folks like the Alt right ppl talk about heritage they are mainly talking the right to celebrate Murder and plunder of other ppl's lands without question or protest, listen to what he said..paraphrase "We are conquerors" well excuse you!! but others may rightly look at that and say you are thieves, rapist and murderers, and thus have no moral standing, again looking back at this yrs thanksgiving and compare that reality to the native folks at Standing Rock of which I found little info here on ATS unless I missed it somehow.

I am a cultural tourist I have sampled with pleasure many European American ie 'White folks" festivals , celebrations and holydays , even to the point of checking what's up, in now defunct paper like the Village Voice, so that is not what these folks are talking about.
edit on 26-11-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Spencer couldn't even articulate consistently about whether or not Asians are deserving of their representation in Silicon Valley

How could Martin even make that argument with a straight face after pointing to the disproportionate amount of white congressional staffers and calling it racism?

Also if there is no such thing as race, then there's no such thing as racism either. Can't have it both ways.

This is where you missed the boat,"Race" is a social construct, not! scientifically based

If it's merely a social construct, then why can you get white from black but you can't get black from white? That was one of Martin's factoids BTW.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

This is where you missed the boat,"Race" is a social construct, not! scientifically based

If it's merely a social construct, then why can you get white from black but you can't get black from white? That was one of Martin's factoids BTW.

Because that does not make a "RACE" and you could get Black from White in only 9 months, with the right jumble of genes as "White" or Black should be in reality an approximate description of what you appear to look like.

Socially Black while in appearance looked physically White.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   

you could get Black from White in only 9 months, with the right jumble of genes as "White" or Black should be in reality an approximate description of what you appear to look like.

So you're saying your source is peddling false information?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

you could get Black from White in only 9 months, with the right jumble of genes as "White" or Black should be in reality an approximate description of what you appear to look like.

So you're saying your source is peddling false information?

I am saying ppl in general repeat stuff that's not quite factual, the belief in "race" outside a social construct is one of them.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I'm sympathetic to some of the views of the alt-right but I didn't think Spencer came off looking good in this exchange.. trying to explain away the Nazi salutes in that video was just plain disingenuous and pathetic, so embarrassing.. we all knew what that was.

Cultural Marxism has become institutionally anti-white in practice and even theory in our universities and schools. The government support it, the corporations support it, the media support it.. academia support it. The globalist elite support it. Maybe not such a huge surprise since it was they who turned progressiveness into a totalitarian caricature.

This dialectic was manipulated into being is what I'm saying. They're going head to head against nationalists very publically. This is divide they have created that they will constantly try to feed. The situation in Europe with Muslims will not end pretty.. this was also by design, all of it by design.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadMoonJester

Cultural Marxism has become institutionally anti-white in practice and even theory in our universities and schools. The government support it, the corporations support it, the media support it.. academia support it. The globalist elite support it. Maybe not such a huge surprise since it was they who turned progressiveness into a totalitarian caricature.

Please expand more on the above, like examples.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join