It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: State Of Arizona To Require Proof Of Citizenship To Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Proof of citizenship will be required to register to vote in the state of Arizona. In addition, other identification will be required when casting a ballot. Civil rights groups and state Democrats had urged the U.S. Department of Justice to reject the law. The chief opposition to the measure was that it would create difficulties for minorities to vote and interfere with registration drives. Proponents of the law maintain its an essential measure to ensure that voter fraud is not committed.

news.yahoo.com
PHOENIX - Arizona has become the first state to require proof of citizenship when registering to vote, a measure that supporters say is intended to prevent voter fraud.

The law went into effect Tuesday after being approved by voters in November. It requires that people provide proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, when registering to vote and show specified forms of identification when casting a ballot at a polling place.

A civil-rights group and Democratic legislators recently had urged the Department of Justice to reject the law. They argued the changes will erect barriers that will hinder minorities' participation in elections and hamper grassroots voter registration drives.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How exactly is proving that you are a citizen a barrier to voting? It is a barrier to prevent those who do not have the right from voting from doing so and why would anybody be opposed to that? What is interesting is that the state is required to get federal approval because of past abuses.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Umm proof of citizenship shouldn't even be an issue now, we are so backwards sometimes, this is ridiculous, of course you should have to prove citizenship in order to vote. In addition with your voter's registration card, you should have to show your passport or birth certificate.

I can't see the logic in the opposing argument, I don't care how poor or what minority you fall under, you should have proof or your birth or citizenship, what's so hard about presenting it when you vote?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I don't understand how and why anyone could be opposed to this, unless they are an advocate of voter fraud. Of course you should have to show proof of citizenship. A no brainer.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
In NJ, you have to show your voter registration card, as well as proof of identity (drivers license). I think it's a good thing frankly.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

It requires that people provide proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, when registering to vote and show specified forms of identification when casting a ballot at a polling place.

I have to agree, there doesn't seem to be much of a problem here. They are only required to have their birthcertificate, or I suppose naturalization papers, when they register to vote, and then provide id when voting, which is already required. I can't see any problem, especially if the id at the voting polls is the same id before this regulation.

I just don't understand something, what was required before? Proof of residency?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You should be a US citizen to vote for US governtment positions from local, to state to national levels. If you want to vote, should become a citizen. I have never understood why persons leave their country, want to come to the US put fail to become a citizen or learn english. I am not saying give up your roots or language but if I go to another country, I expect to know how to talk to them and if I choice to live there, to become part of that country. To arrive in another country and expect that country to put out stuff in english and your language is not right. If you don't like your country and you want to be an American......then be one. If you are just here for business reasons etc than thats ok as even Americans are on temporary assignments across the world. I am more referring to those that come to live here for life.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

It requires that people provide proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, when registering to vote and show specified forms of identification when casting a ballot at a polling place.

The problem I see wan't the requireing proof of citizenship which has always been required.

What did you show when you went to register to vote? Do you remember? I took my SS card and my licence and that was it.

I was born here and have always lived here in the US. But due to drastic fire that destroyed the town hall, hall of records the hospital and several other buildings, for a birth certificate all I have is a over 30 year old hand typed and certified piece of paper that says yes I was born in South Carolina. I even served in the Military and my military records have a copy of that piece of paper in it.

They are saying now you have to bring your birth certificate. With that logic I would not have been issued my voters card. They are simply saying that the previous requirements were good and newer more stringent requirements could and probably will prevent minorities (legal US citizens) from being able to obtain a voters card.

Phae

[edit on 1/26/2005 by Phaethor]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Exactly, why would anybody be opposed to itizens voting unless it interfered with thier ability to register bogus voters. This happens in Oragne county and San Diego all the time. Now Im not pointing the finger at the Democrats, but they seem to be the most involved. Also the paying of registrars to sign people up should be stopped too.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well, in my state you have to show another means of photo identification as well as your voter card. Some of them are pretty lax, but you still have to show it.

For example, my wife hadn't had her voter's id card changed to the married name yet, so luckily, she had an annual pass to Universal/Islands of Adventure with her maiden name listed, hehe...(theme park pass just happened to be one of the accepted picture IDs....what do you expect in FL?
)

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Well, in my state you have to show another means of photo identification as well as your voter card. Some of them are pretty lax, but you still have to show it.

One of the issues with the drivers licens thing is that the Democrats tried to push through a measure that allows illegal aliens to get them. More should be required to vote, like a passport of naturlization papaers etc. Nor should you be able to sign up in front of the grocery store or the mall. Maybe the post office or city hall, but at Jack in the box? Payed registrars should be illegal.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
We had to vote on this here in AZ, I voted for it of course. It was Proposition 200, not only does it require proof of citizenship to vote, but to get government assistance or access government programs. There were alot of people against this, believe it or not. Luckily, we passed it.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
27jd,

Im curious by what percentage did it pass? Did McCain back it?

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
27jd,

Im curious by what percentage did it pass? Did McCain back it?

It passed by 56%, and McCain opposed it:

Immigrant parents have been flooding Hispanic community leaders with calls, wondering if an Arizona ballot issue approved by voters Tuesday means they should keep their children in school or avoid going out, Latino leaders said.
Proposition 200 requires proof of citizenship when seeking public benefits or when registering to vote. Government employees are required to report suspected undocumented immigrants seeking public benefits.
Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano said in the wake of Tuesday's 56-to-44-percent approval of the initiative, lawyers are analyzing the newly approved measure to determine how it will affect state agencies.
The initiative, which could result in jail time for government workers who don't report illegal immigrants trying to obtain some services, doesn't specify which public benefits it includes, leaving questions regarding the potential impact.
"The voters have spoken, and even though I disagree ... we've got to accept the result," Napolitano said at a news conference Wednesday.
The governor, along with many other political leaders, including Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., opposed the measure.

www.abqjournal.com...

It amazes me that we didn't require proof of citizenship for these things before.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by 27jd]

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phaethor
What did you show when you went to register to vote? Do you remember? I took my SS card and my licence and that was it. [/qujote]
The thing is that SS cards are widely faked in illegal immigration scams. I have to wonder if this requirement will just result in the widespread forgery of brith certificates. On the other hand, just how interested in voting are illegal immigrants? I'd almost be tempted to say that, if they go thru the trouble and risk and all that in order to vote, hell, they're being more 'responsible' citizens (in a perverse way anyway) than most actual citizens.

I was born here and have always lived here in the US. But due to drastic fire that destroyed the town hall, hall of records the hospital and several other buildings, for a birth certificate all I have is a over 30 year old hand typed and certified piece of paper that says yes I was born in South Carolina. I even served in the Military and my military records have a copy of that piece of paper in it.

and newer more stringent requirements could and probably will prevent minorities (legal US citizens) from being able to obtain a voters card.

But why?

gazrok
...(theme park pass just happened to be one of the accepted picture IDs....what do you expect in FL?

Dear god!

but to get government assistance or access government programs

I can't see much sense in that aspect unless its coordinated with an active illegal alien deportation program.

It amazes me that we didn't require proof of citizenship for these things before.

Apparently this is an alteration of some of the requirements for demonstrating citizenship.

top topics

join