It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

U2 'Dragonlady' pilots spy on ISIS from the edge of space

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Wizzz0001

All surviving airframes have been documented as being in museums and stripped of useful parts. The engines were removed and put in storage. It would take almost two years, minimum, at this point to return the ones that can be to flying status.

And ALL A-12/SR-71 spare parts were scrapped / shredded back in 2007

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Ill just leave this here..

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
There's a very long thread here that has info some speculation on something that's flying.

^^

Blackfinger gives a clue.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580
Something green ?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

When the Iranian revolution kicked in in the late 1970s, taking Americans hostages, I always wondered how Americans missed the gravity of the events taking place with their impending outcomes. Iran was the ears for listening in on the Soviet Union, and CIA bases in Iran helped with Soviet overflights. I couldn't believe America would just let it all fall from our hands. I chalked it up to spy satellite technology making our ears and eyes in Iran less valuable.

But the U2 never went away. It was said that satellites couldn't always provide the timely or positional information that was often needed. Only an aircraft could do that. Like the Sr-71. So I'm finding it enjoyable to see the U2 still kickin' it in relaying information needed on the ground.

"With the U2 we're able to get out there, find those guys and track them," said another pilot, Maj. Matt. "Then we get that information back to the fighters and bombers, so that way when they go out there they've got the best intel, the best information about where they are and can do what needs to be done."

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

They flew out of Nellis at Red Flag earlier this year testing some new toys. They've got some amazing new things on the aircraft.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

New toys! So much new technology, so little knowledge about them. Sigh....

I remember reading how the NASA U2 was going to be used for radiation detection after the Fukushima incident. An aircraft with quite an amazing history.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

That was one of the reasons for the U-2G upgrade, that made them carrier capable. They only flew one mission, but it was to monitor French nuclear tests in the South Pacific. They ran into a few tests though and were contaminated and had to be cleaned up after landing. Bit of a pain in the ass.

As for new technologies, SYERS-3 (Senior Year) is about to be tested. It's a multispectral imaging system that uses technology from SYERS-2A and DB-110. The DB-110 has a narrow, wide, and super wide Field of View camera system, and transmits data as soon as the aircraft is in range of a receiving station. They recently began installing the SYERS-2C system.

This image was taken of Long Beach, by an F-16 at 40,000 feet from 81 miles away using a DB-110 sensor:

This one was taken at a slant range of 17 miles, at 23,000 feet:

Random Turkish picture from a DB-110:

They're also upgrading Senior Spur/Senior Span, which are used for real time data transmission, to a new high speed system, that is capable of transmitting to mobile ground stations, as well as back to any other station capable of receiving the data. In a recent test, a U-2 on loan to Lockheed Martin, and upgraded to the new open architecture system was able to pass data to an F-22 in flight, via a ground station, and from an F-22 to an F-18. That data was used to retarget a Tomahawk cruise missile in flight.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Lovely clarity..Any word on passing down the lens tech from the X38b missions using liquid crystal?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

i was under the impression they were growing something out there...

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Alien Hybrids?

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   

lol more like gravity defect free lenses
edit on 26-11-2016 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Thank-you for that video. I really appreciate when ATS members post cool finds like this, as I simply don't know what to look for.

That video someone posted this Spring of the cockpit crew, while the Space Shuttle blasted off was neat too! I'm amazed by how calm and controlled they are while experiencing so many physical forces and mental uncertainties.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

You mean the X-37B? Possibly, but not in the near future.

posted on Nov, 27 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Wow! Thank you for info!

That's some amazing new technology and capability. And this ....."retarget a Tomahawk cruise missile in flight".... boggles my mind.

<< 1   >>

join