It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

U2 'Dragonlady' pilots spy on ISIS from the edge of space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
In this CNN exclusive, they tell the story of the U2 spy plane mission in the War against Isis in Iraq & Syria. This is a cold war era plane that is still effective in gathering intel on the battlefield..

edition.cnn.com...

etting dressed for a combat mission in a U2 "Dragonlady" reconnaissance plane looks almost like the preparations for a space flight, the pilot in a yellow compression suit wearing a massive white helmet.
The suits need to be cooled the entire time, otherwise the pilots would die of heat exhaustion in a matter of minutes, but they are necessary to protect the crew members as they fly surveillance missions over Iraq and Syria at more than 70,000 feet scoping out ISIS targets.

The US Air Force gave CNN rare access to U2 crews flying out of a secret location in the Middle East. We can only identify the pilots by their rank, first name and their call sign.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

The U-2 is a great aircraft. They were always fun to handle when they came through. They're currently by far our best ISR platform.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I agree, there are still a few platforms that are decades old, and despite efforts to replace, still stand tall and efficient in their mission...

My fave old platform aircraft is the A10 Warthog... still love to recall the sight of the A10 flying treetop level and unleashing it's guns on unsuspecting armor...

I am biased because I served in the Army, I have heard that A10's saved a lot of folks in the Army...

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

SR-71? I'm sure they still fly somewhere

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I thought America has military sats can 'see' a sand grain in HD from above rayens belt..

Guess not just Russians... Americans also relaying on decades old technology .

edit on 25-11-2016 by Pandaram because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
I thought America has military sats can 'see' a sand gran in HD from above rayens belt..
Guess not just Russians... Americans also relaying on decades old technology .
I wouldn't say decades old sure the air frame might be old but I'm sure the technology onboard is brilliant

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crumbles

SR-71? I'm sure they still fly somewhere

I heard the same thing. I think that a squadron of 6 was specified as being on stand-by.
I can't confirm the accuracy of this. Just a rumor that was being floated.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Wizzz0001
Not questioning what you are saying but .. on stand by for what?

edit on 25-11-2016 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker
Not questioning what you are saying but .. on stand by for what?

Excellent question. I have no idea. As a best guess, I'd say that it could be for
intel gathering that was needed yesterday. Given that the 71 has a top speed of around mach 3 and the U-2 is around 430 knots the total time from gathering to analysis would be a lot more workable using the SR-71.
Just a guess.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
That's a fair enough answer ... I was only asking
, as I sat there too wondering what a SR71s job would be IF they still had some operational. I haven't the slightest idea

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If they have a flame out, the U 2 can glide for hundreds of miles, that is why they have such long wings...

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Yeah. You bring up a good point. Not that I want to get too far off topic
as this is a U-2 thread, but the SR-71 was reactivated around 1993 until 1998 or so because of the
middle east and North Korea with no viable air frame to replace it. Since the situation is worse now in both areas, I could conceive of the same missions being assigned, IF (as you correctly say) they are still flying. Although the official line is that they are permanently mothballed. What I will admit to is being fairly ignorant about the present day ISR platforms that are in use. So, even if the rumor was correct, they may have been thrown back to the bone yard.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

The A10 seems perfect at what it does. Crazy that they want/wanted to scrap it.

As far as the op, I am sure you have seen this video?

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

All accounted for in museums. Several had their wings cut to ship.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram

No satellite can. No matter what people say, the physics don't allow it without optics that don't exist.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

All surviving airframes have been documented as being in museums and stripped of useful parts. The engines were removed and put in storage. It would take almost two years, minimum, at this point to return the ones that can be to flying status.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

There you are! I was waiting for you to jump in.
I appreciate the correction. I can finally put that rumor to rest. It was
gnawing at me since I had heard it. Too bad, though. I love that plane and was hoping that it might
still be operational. Oh well. There is enough cool stuff in the works to fall in love with.
Much appreciated.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

There are a few things that are operational that are extremely interesting, but extremely classified.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Yeah. That seems to always be the case.
Like they used to say: "We're mushrooms, best when kept in the dark.".
In the mean time, I'll keep my fingers crossed that some UFO chaser gets lucky with the camera
and gets something good.
Thanks for the info! You've got a heck of a knowledge base.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

"Knowledge base".

Is that a polite way of saying, "oh my god you're taking obsession to a scary level"?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join