It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Poop Challenge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

When you gotta go, you gotta go! But what if you’re in space, stuck in a spacesuit for hours on end, even days? The current solution is the good ol’ diaper, but NASA is looking for something better, and is offering a prize of up to $30,000 to whoever comes up with the best idea.

iotwreport.com...

www.odditycentral.com...

In space, no one can hear you fart. . . . .

Ok ATS! Some great and not-so-great minds are here.

Who wants 30 grand?

Put on your thinking caps and come up with a way to eliminate elimination.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The vac-u-dump is a decent compromise. A bit of draft downwards, and the farts go bye-bye.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So, how was the Fremen still suit designed again? Someone needs to invent that and then it becomes the spacesuit liner.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm thinking suppositories that would convert fecal matter into something more benign.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Really, the still suit would be the best option if someone could come up with one. It could be worn all the time. It would reprocess all the body's waste excretions and they could be put back into the ship's closed loop systems to help support a long-term voyage ... say to Mars.

The fecal solids would be good for organic production as would the urine solids.

And the water would be critical to keep reclaiming for as long as possible.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I'm thinking suppositories that would convert fecal matter into something more benign.

This one would be interesting, but you would need to make sure that whatever it was couldn't muck with the internal flora, just excreted matter, and you would still have the problem of collecting excreta. You can't have that free-floating inside your space suit.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Didnt Wolowitz design the perfect space toilet ? No , wait. His design was flawed and it exploded. On the space station.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I'll come up with an idea. I'm not an astronaut but usually have to hold it for long periods of time while I work, I'm already inspired.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Think that particular device apparently processed all the body waste products into clean water via some kind of micro mesh fabric design and then stored it in catchment pockets located throughout the suit. Then a again its been a while since i read the book.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yes, they skipped over how exactly it caught the waste products coming out of certain orifices.

It said that it powered production through walking action, so there would be impetus for astronauts to stay active. I imagine we might be looking at some sort of pizielectric membrane layer in there somewhere.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Human centipedes

ETA: In space!!
edit on 25-11-2016 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: andy06shake

Yes, they skipped over how exactly it caught the waste products coming out of certain orifices.

Condom cath on the front, you're going to have a lot of excoriation on the back.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
What if astronauts just had modified colostomy bags put in?

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboyDB, you beat me to it. Can we share the money. The best option is for astronauts to have colostomy bags fitted. Job solved.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

They should just send an all women crew since women do not poop.

Except in that video with those two girls and their shared drinking receptacle, but I think that was an anomaly and I stand by my earlier statement.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
some kind of diaper device with a self contained bidet and a jet drying system.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Don't colostomy bags somewhat employ the use of gravity to function effectively?

Then there is the possibility of infection setting in, not something you would wish to have to deal with while in low Earth orbit.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

We'd still have to worry about "Glitter" elimination.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Introducing the Dyson Super Poop Sucker 2200 MKII

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
1 lower suit to 50 to 55 farenheit you might be chilly but have you ever tried taking aa dump in the cold 3 when going on hour long evas eat food that cause constipation like oreos ot drink a dose of pepto to thicken stools.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join