It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The death of civility on ATS, the current election season, and a lament for discourse.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Class-warfare is a tad older than just this ejection circle-jerk and you wont see the rich fools ripping each other apart on the streets. That's the folks you'd harm online with virtual offense to grow some hair when you're bored or something like that...

With that being said, it's a great rant! PR-management is pretty effective nowadays with all those MSM-smartphone weaponized walking reads, who're obviously increasingly afraid to use their brains and decide with their guts instead.

Which is why the emotionalization of politics is actually a problem, because highly emotionalized people is what you'll get. A real leader would acknowledge his responsibility for all that as well and start to rebuild trust, right?
Devide & conquer and lotta usefull idiots with another one in charge, soon to replace the last. Have at it!

edit on 24-11-2016 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2016 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
For me, ATS is my FB. I dont have an actual FB account and I dont watch the news much, so you bastards get to shape my paradigm. Lol

I never voluntarily log out of ATS. The site is easier to navigate (ads) while logged in, and I must be ready at all times in case I have a funny and witty reply. Lol

Third, I often enter a discussion with sarcasm, a playful attitude, an obvious joke or with self-deprecation. As DC stated, its disarming. And most times, it doesnt leave much room for others to reply. Thats done intentionally because I usually dont stick around to see a reply. I bob and weave because I realize people (yeah, YOU PEOPLE - lol!) are very engrained in their world/political view, and nothing I post will change anyone's mind... so why stick around unless I enjoy banging my head against a brick wall. Which I dont!!

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
cuckooold

Shyeah, tell me about it. I'm only just now starting to test the waters again after a good four months off.

This place has changed and not for the better.

Remember when we used to discuss conspiracy theories and high strangeness was the order of the day?

Hell, I haven't even seen a descent aircraft thread in a while.

*shakes head sadly*

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
ATS has become what it has become because the membership has allowed it to become what it has become.

Stop engaging known shills and they will go away. It's hard to resist them sometimes, but it's what you have to do. The moderation staff and site management can't (or won't) do it all for you.

The membership needs to step up and self-regulate or ATS will continue to descend into the cesspool of contemporary political bulls#.

The onus is on you, so quit bitching.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more, OP. Those desiring greater civility: you're not alone. We just tend to be too quit sometimes, I think.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Note my footer. I've been using it for longer than I can remember....mostly for myself to keep me in check.

Anyone else is welcome to use it.

edit on 25-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

ATS can be compared to climate change

I'm a global warming denier - where does that leave me...do I stay or do I go?

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21569468] If you have been on here for any amount of time election year always gets heated,it's a social website so people give opinions,try putting on a saftey pin while web surfing if it makes you feel better,but everyone has an opinion,and you expressed yours

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21569468] If you have been on here for any amount of time election year always gets heated,it's a social website so people give opinions,try putting on a saftey pin while web surfing if it makes you feel better,but everyone has an opinion,and you expressed yours

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
That´s how it is to live in the so called post-factual times, where facts doesn´t matter anymore.
But the loudness of the ones that spread their non facts...

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: cuckooold

You have people online encouraging violence, people actually harming other people and property just for having a different political ideology.

I am sorry, who is 'you people'?

Please do not lump me in as being affiliated with any 'group' of people. Just because my political beliefs do not align with yours does not mean I am part of some monolithic 'group. I have never advocated for harming people or property for whatever their political ideology.

Perhaps you are projecting, as I'm calling out all behaviours on ATS, not focusing on any ideology here.

He didn't say "you people". He said you have people inciting violence. There is quite a difference.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Facts haven't mattered for centuries. It's not a new thing.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I started a thread recently which I thought might bring out the best in ATS and got a very sweet response. It meant the world to me.

Sometimes you just have to give people the chance to rise to the occasion.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I reall wish i could eat tacos right now...

If trump builds a wall, is ATS next?

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Another crybaby. Just what we need.

Rolleyes . . .

THE ATS SMILIES S U C K !

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

There there.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I really wanted to reply to this thread, because I'd been planning to introduce one like it myself.

I am utterly appalled at what could be referred to as the "lack of civility" on ATS, but really it deserves a much stronger designation. I've been on ATS for several years and though I've seen some pretty nasty stuff overall (especially in the UFO threads), I've never seen anything this hateful, spiteful and ugly.

What I really find repulsive is the gloating. Back in the day (when America was great?) the winner was the one who helped out the guy who lost: tell him he put up a good and/or fair fight, extended a hand to help him stand back up and then moved on together, mutually supporting one another. That was the sportsmanlike ideal, right?

Now, even before this election ended, everyone was anticipating violence in some form. And violence there has been, not least of all in the discourse on ATS. I have never seen so much name calling -- and indeed, inventions of new words to call people -- that you don't know and have no intention of meeting, but who have simply expressed an opinion different from your own, which is probably only slightly different, in fact. The main issues that are mutually agreed upon are never mentioned (like agreeing that innocent children should not be shot dead in the street, for example, or that, we don't want to start a nuclear war and destroy the planet).

It has been truly revolting to see how so many posters have been completely swept away by gloating over a Republican win and mercilessly taunting the Greens, Independents and Democrats. Some threads I have read are so sickening I can only read a few posts before I just close the damn thing and walk away. Folks, this doesn't make you look like people that care for your fellow Americans. Of course, maybe you don't, and if so, why not just come right out and say it. You love America, but you hate most Americans? We need to come to our senses and realize that we are going to get nowhere fast with this disrespectful, spiteful, vindictive behavior towards one another.

Thanks for your post.
edit on 25-11-2016 by antoinemarionette because: deleted word

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Waaahhh waaahhh!

I want my therapy dog in my safe space.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Don't be silly.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: cuckooold

When was the last time a republican had the presidency, House, Senate?

Was ATS even in existence then?

There is a very real war going on right now.

You have people online encouraging violence, people actually harming other people and property just for having a different political ideology.

You're not helping either. You're one of the worst offenders here.

<< 1    3 >>

join