It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Climate change is real: Just ask the Pentagon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
For some reason climate change is a controversial topic here with a lot of bad and misleading information posted.

Yes it is real, of course it happened in the past, however what we are currently observing appears to be driven as a result of human activity. The coast line is changing, weather patterns are changing. We do not know what the future will hold, however it is possible climate change will cause devastating problems with millions and millions being displaced.

The Pentagon is aware and preparing.

Storms obviously aren’t new here, but they are worse than ever — and the Pentagon blames climate change.

“We see the rising sea levels and flooding events,” said Capt. Dean VanderLey, who oversees Navy infrastructure in the mid-Atlantic region. “We have a responsibility to prepare for the future. We don’t have the luxury of just burying our heads in the sand.”

President-elect Donald Trump has described global warming as a hoax, and Republicans in Congress who reject science showing that greenhouse gases have warmed the planet have blocked funding meant to help the Pentagon assess the damage and plan for the future.

The House voted in June to bar the Defense Department from spending money to evaluate how climate change would affect military training, combat, weapons purchases and other needs.

“When we distract our military with a radical climate change agenda, we detract from their main purpose of defending America from enemies” like Islamic State, said Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.), sponsor of the measure.

Partly as a result, the Pentagon says it does not keep figures on what climate change may mean for the military budget. Planners sometimes list upgrades to infrastructure as maintenance or repairs to avoid scrutiny from lawmakers.

But the debate is settled at the Pentagon. Rising sea levels and temperatures have forced it to rebuild or relocate roads, housing, air fields and other vulnerable facilities damaged by mudslides in Hawaii, floods in Virginia, drought in California and thawing permafrost in Alaska.

It also has led to a shift in strategic challenges around the globe.

The Pentagon doesn’t say that climate change alone will cause wars. But the 2014 Quadrennial Defense Review, the Defense Department’s major planning blueprint for the next four years, calls it an “accelerant of instability” and a “threat multiplier.”

www.latimes.com...
edit on 24-11-2016 by jrod because: Link

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yea right ..... were supposed to believe the idiots who spend millions on a toilet .......

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Yep, just ask the pentagon, Saddam had wmds as well and gaddafi wasn't killed because of the gold dinar and Hillary wasn't involved in the coup in the Ukraine or the attempts at overthrowing Assad and we had to invade Afghanistan, because of err, poppies. Yeah, just ask the pentagon because they are trustworthy, right? Lol.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

Stephen Hawkings, Neil DegrasseTyson, Bill Nye, Michio Kaku are some of the biggest names in science today. They all concur anthropogenic climate change is real.

Believe what you want, but be aware of the reality of this.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Wow, an ad hominem attack on the Pentagon is your way to denounce anthropogenic climate change.

The ignorance is strong with you my friend.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Charles Darwin believed earth worms possessed a "collective" intellect...

Smart people often believe really stupid things...

-Chris

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Wtf does that have to do with the topic of anthropogenic climate change?

Please use logical reasoning to argue against the apparent reality of anthropogenic climate change.

These little zingers contribute nothing to the discussion.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Its all another scam by politicians to line their pockets at peoples expense .

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Once again another zinger that refuses to address the science or even engage in an intellectual discussion. When I wrote in my OP, I failed to mention the flooding of these threads with utter B $.

When this becomes a discussion of political taxes instead of a discussion about science, intellectual integrity is thrown out the window and ignorance prevails.
edit on 24-11-2016 by jrod because: Grmmr

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Of course it is real! I wonder whether the people at this website would question whether we breathe oxygen - or whether oxygen is necessary for our existence (answer: it is).

Yes - removing carbon stored in solid (coal) or liquid (oil, natural gas) and then burning it, transfers the molecules from one sink - the Earth - into another sink - the atmosphere and the oceans.

The ignorance at this website is truly, truly astonishing - given our oceans are growing more acidic, the reefs are dying, and all these cretans think about is "its HAAARP"! As if HAAARP could make oceans more acidic!!~!!!!!!!!!

Nothing makes me more irritated than this. This website panders in unrealities - I'd like to know what the average eduational level is of the people who post at this website.

Evidently, the more educated of us have no problem at all accepting climate change - its undoubtedly, irrevocably happening - and happening because YOU CAN'T BURN FOSSIL FUELS WITHOUT AFFECTING THE SURROUNDING ENVIRONMENT.

Co2 is a significant atmospheric gas. Since the 50's it was recognized that Co2 concentration was increasing because of fossil-fuel usage.

Aye. So #ing frustrating that so few people know how to reason properly - this is not just an educational issue - but an arrogance issue: the assumption that the people who spend their whole lives specializing in climate dynamics - the only people qualified to deliberate on this matter and determine its significance - are ignored!!!! This is the "cult of amatuer" - the cult of stupid idiots, taking over and making light of actual reality.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

These people are simply egotists caught in their egotism - fearfulness - who essentially do not understand how the planet works, how they work, or how anything works.

They are whats called "useful idiots".

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Yea right ..... were supposed to believe the idiots who spend millions on a toilet .......

That was quite some years ago. Though I do remember reading it.

Climate change has been classified as a National Security emergency.
edit on 24-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

Charles Darwin believed earth worms possessed a "collective" intellect...

Smart people often believe really stupid things...

-Chris

A lot of insects do. I haven't read this about earthworms. Maybe it is true.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Astrocyte

If there is one thing I've learned the hard way, it's that people believe what they want to believe.

You can tell them the truth, but you can't make them believe it.

It will all become clear at some point and better minds will prevail. Even those who realize what is happening are not doing enough to suit me. Maybe when the human race has to move underground to survive, they will shut up and listen.

On second thought, I doubt it. People have a tendency to listen to who is the loudest. The ignorant are very loud, I've noticed. There are times when it's important to not be shouted down.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

Stephen Hawkings, Neil DegrasseTyson, Bill Nye, Michio Kaku are some of the biggest names in science today. They all concur anthropogenic climate change is real.

Believe what you want, but be aware of the reality of this.

Hawking - Hawking radiation and total mass destruction put to rest by a plumber from New Jersey
Bill Nye - The Science Guy - children's hero everywhere.
Michio Kaku - I will go along with anything as long as it keeps me relevant and on TV
Neil Degrasse Tyson - whose only project was to make Pluto not a planet

Those ? Thats a strange super-science lineup

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Ah...its amazing how reflexively people put their need to sound smart and capable to themselves (and others) above actually thinking about something, even if it doesn't make them feel good.

The atmosphere of our planet is actually a lattice-work of dynamically interacting atoms and molecules which create "emergent properties" like clouds, winds, tornados, hurricances, etc.

They don't even seem to care how these processes work - because if they knew and understood the principles of how the atmosphere worked - and the kind of consequences that await us if we do not scale back on our burning of fossil fuels - they would feel just as indignant as you, I and anyone else who understands.

This is further complicated by the fact that people think they know everything. It is amazing how obvious it is - for them - to go to mechanic when they have car problems, go to a doctor when they have health issues, but when the planet is said to be having issues, and when 97% - a mammoth majority - of climate sciences believe anthropogenic climate change is happening, all of a sudden the principle of "trust the expert" i.e. the person who has spent many years increasing his knowledge of a specific subject matter, doesn't matter. It's as if a demon of some sort takes over their mind and compels them to interpret information in a way that presents climate change as a government conspiracy (thank you Alex Jones, you dip$hit) of the "globalists". It is fear - and nothing but fear - that causes them to dismiss the reality of what is happening. It's a collective dissociation of reality - wishful thinking writ large - "if we don't think about it it isn't happening". And yet the planet will continue to adapt to a more carbonated atmosphere - and the whole idea of what happens after, with feedback loops between a planetary albedo effect and a hotter atmosphere, is terrifying to think about, given that systems theory posits phase transitions - and so, we are merely speculating where this will go - because none of us know. It's just extraordinarily sound thinking - wise - to scale back on fossil fuel usage and speed up the development of green energies.
edit on 24-11-2016 by Astrocyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The Pentagon is composed of soldiers, high ranking soldiers yes, but still soldiers, who take orders from a commander above them. If the Pentagon is preparing for "Climate Change", it's being done because orders were issued by a higher level commander. I don't think the Pentagon "preparing" is the "smoking gun" proving "climate change" exists, especially when one considers who the CNC is and what his agenda has been.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

There may be a more recent report, but here is an excerpt from Quadrennial Defense Review Report, February 2010, pages 84, 85 (pdf pages 107,108)

Crafting a Strategic Approach to Climate and Energy

Climate change and energy are two key issues that will play a significant role in shaping the future security environment. Although they produce distinct types of challenges, climate change, energy security, and economic stability are inextricably linked.
The U.S. Global Change Research Program, composed of 13 federal agencies, reported in 2009 that climate-related changes are already being observed in every region of the world, including the United States and its coastal waters. Among these physical changes are increases in heavy downpours, rising temperature and sea level, rapidly retreating glaciers, thawing permafrost, lengthening growing seasons, lengthening ice-free seasons in the oceans and on lakes and rivers, earlier snowmelt, and alterations in river flows.

Assessments conducted by the intelligence community indicate that climate change could have significant geopolitical impacts around the world, contributing to poverty, environmental degradation, and the further weakening of fragile governments. Climate change will contribute to food and water scarcity, will increase the spread of disease, and may spur or exacerbate mass migration.

While climate change alone does not cause conflict, it may act as an accelerant of instability or conflict, placing a burden to respond on civilian institutions and militaries around the world. In addition, extreme weather events may lead to increased demands for defense support to civil authorities for humanitarian assistance or disaster response both within the United States and overseas.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Just ask the banks- there are entire cities in florida where you can't get a 30 year mortgage because they're already leveling neighborhoods to raise the ground by a couple of feet every few years.

Estimates say it'll be under water in 15.
They don't make their money back on a 30 year mortgage if the homes are literally under water in 15.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Wow, an ad hominem attack on the Pentagon is your way to denounce anthropogenic climate change.

The ignorance is strong with you my friend.

Could you quote in the article where the Pentagon said 'anthropogenic', because I can't seem to find it. It's almost as if you simply added in extra information to mislead people as to what the article says.

I can tell you, climate change is real, 10,000 years ago the planet was in an ice age, then the climate changed. Now you are making claims that do not have enough information to back those claims. The Pentagon only says climate change is real, they did not make any statements over 'anthropogenic' climate change.

Please be more honest next time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join