It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since election, Trump has talked to Putin more than other world leaders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
A few years ago Romney said that Russia was one of our greatest rivals. Funny how times change. It seems almost overnight (well, the last 4-8 years) the Republican party loves Russia, Mr. Trump included:

In the scarcely two weeks since Donald Trump’s surprise victory over Hillary Clinton, he and Russian President Vladimir Putin have spoken at least twice by phone. Their aides have had additional contacts. That’s more contact than Trump is known to have had with any other world leader since he defeated Clinton in the Nov. 8 election. But it is a concrete display of what many predicted would be a reversal in the standoffish relations between the two nuclear powers should Trump win election.

Mr. Trump has talked to Putin and his aides have talked to Russian counterparts more than his transition team has talked to US intelligence offices and the Pentagon. And yet, despite this; the GOP and Trump fans don't seem to even blink or bat an eye.

Within hours of Trump’s election victory two weeks ago, Putin was one of the first world leaders to call and congratulate him. “He spoke about resuming and restoring relations with Russia,” Putin said afterward on Russian national television.

I'm wondering who really wears the captain's hat here in this strange bromance/BFF relationship here? Did we elect Trump, or Putin? Are they a package deal, buy one leader and get the other 50% off? Did the American people really just elect Putin or Trump? Do people not realize how limited the freedom of speech is in Russia? Why are the conservatives so hell-bent on turning America into Russia 2.0?

he Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that Donald Trump Jr., the president-elect’s eldest son, had held private discussions in Paris last month with about 30 diplomats, business leaders and politicians who support Putin, including several who have close ties with the Kremlin.

Article

And this piggybacks on the "conflict of interest" issues surrounding the new president-elect. So we not only have Trump making diplomatic overtures, but his family members are colluding with Russian business moguls behind the scenes. What kind of deals are being made with the "Trump" name attached to it inside of Russia right now? How can this glaring conflict of interest not be of concern and a risk to national security?

Seriously, if a Democrat was in the White House, the Republicans would be screaming that the person is colluding with the "enemy". It's not so much that Trump has talked to Putin a few times, and his staff has had even more contact than that -- Trump is activley turning away intelligence briefings:

President-elect Donald Trump has received two classified intelligence briefings since his surprise election victory earlier this month, a frequency that is notably lower — at least so far — than that of his predecessors, current and former U.S. officials said.

Link

I guess Trump "has got this"? Maybe he doesn't need those briefings because he has his own sources of intelligence? From another nation?

In any case, this shouldn't be something that Americans are expected to just take in stride. This type of behavior is not normal, and its not something someone who wants to protect and "make America great" would do.

I like caviar, vodka and those little cute nesting dolls, but I don't think America should become a Russian proxy state!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Well, I am not a big fan of Trump, but to be fair, Russia is the country with which the US is in a Cold War over ME.

It's only natural that he prioritise talking with the president of Russia instead of the president of Rwanda.

Though I have to agree that he seem very trustful of Russian intelligence.

edit on 24-11-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Brought to you by CNN

Not much more to add really

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Good

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Brought to you by CNN

Not much more to add really

None of the links are CNN.

And somehow Russian government-sponsored journalism and media should be embraced/trusted?

When in history has another country's influence been trustworthy and had that country's best interests at heart?

Seriously.
edit on 24-11-2016 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

And somehow Russian government-sponsored journalism and media should be embraced/trusted?

With the state of the US's current MSM ? - yes

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Ever since the first Cold War Russia wanted a foothold in american politics. Now they have it with Trump, this is undeniable.

Question is, what they intend to do with it?

If it avoids a nuclear war, then great.

It it's a tactic by Russia to expand into another continent and implement censorship over freedom, not so great.

Time will tell.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
No puppet, no puppet.

*Sniff*

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The Cold War was over in the 80s. However , a certain party (ermmm Obama) has decided to unilaterally bring it back. So modern of him....
I say keep up the good work , Don. For he first time in ages , lets try to improve relations with the world . Stop being so childish we believe the US is god's gift to the world . And what we say goes...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
He talked to them twice....wow.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

He is probably learning everything he wasnt told by our own people intent on either controlling or misleading him.

I bet he is finding Russia as a possible ally in the future to come. One that is aligned with our interests as a people rather than with those interests of our leaders to control us.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

It's actually a valid question. In 2010, Republicans (certainly not all of them) opposed the New START treaty with Russia. In 2014, Newt Gingrich railed against Obama for not standing up against Russia over Ukraine.

Chris Christie said he would order Russian planes shot down over Syrian no-fly zones (something Trump supporters attacked Hillary repeatedly for supporting - and they were right. The no-fly zone is a bad idea in my opinion).

Ben Carson said the same thing as Christie.

Even Republican voters are (or were, before Trump won), for the most part, against Russia and believed it had a hand in trying to influence the election.

Most Republicans believe Russia is attempting to influence the U.S. presidential election, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll, despite comments by the party’s nominee, Donald Trump, downplaying the possibility. Some 55 percent of U.S. adults, including 51 percent of Republicans and 65 percent of Democrats, said they thought Russia was trying to tip the scales in the Nov. 8 presidential election, according to the survey. Most American adults - 62 percent of Democrats and 48 percent of Republicans - think Putin is supporting Trump for the White House, the poll found. Some 71 percent of those who suspect Russia of meddling believe Moscow is doing so through the recent hacks of Democratic emails, according to the Oct. 18-24 survey. But 57 percent of those who suspect Russian interference also believe Trump has "no involvement in Russia’s release of unflattering information" on his Democratic rival, Hillary Clinton.

www.reuters.com...

More info on voters' stances on Russia:

Members of both American political parties see Russia as a major military threat to neighboring countries, but to differing degrees, according to our latest survey. Two-thirds of GOP members see Russia as a military threat, but only 56% of Democrats share their fear. And while half of Republicans say Russia is to blame for the violence in eastern Ukraine, just 39% of Democrats agree. There is a similar partisan divide over what to do about the situation in Ukraine. Republicans are far more likely than Democrats to support military assistance. Six-in-ten Republicans voice support for NATO sending arms to the Ukrainian government compared with 39% of Democrats. The smallest partisan division is over economic aid to Kyiv: 69% of Republicans back such assistance, as do 60% of Democrats.

www.pewresearch.org...

I agree with some of what Trump is saying regarding foreign policy, especially closing foreign bases and rolling back NATO (though I also do not believe either of these will happen). It is interesting, however, to see the rather sudden shift from Republicans being so anti-Putin / Russia to suddenly thinking he is a nice guy.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I bet he is finding Russia as a possible ally in the future to come. One that is aligned with our interests as a people rather than with those interests of our leaders to control us.

Russia, with our interest as a people?!

Do you know how much censorship and control Russia places on her own people??

Sorry, I'm not sold on the idea of Putin being the Messiah yet.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Well with common issues in the Middle East right now, I would think dialog is healthy.

And, maybe Trump knows about the ways Obama is (and Clinton was) "handling" ISIS.

Russia has vested interests in natural gas to Europe, and they back the official Syrian government.

More than one party in the ME has their sights on gas pipelines to Europe.

Lots of conflicts between the U.S. and Russia in the ME.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Are we just supposed to ignore the fact that Putin has invaded Ukraine?

Or are we supposed to somehow shift the blame on Obama?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Putin is hoping Trump will be instrumental in lifting the sanctions against Russia. He also hopes he can continue to take over other territories with impunity.

I have no idea what Trump wants. More compliments, I guess.

"I mean, he called me a genius, how can I not like him"? Trump is a fool for flattery.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

edit on 24-11-2016 by JimSmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: Gothmog

Are we just supposed to ignore the fact that Putin has invaded Russia?

Or are we supposed to somehow shift the blame on Obama?

Putin invaded Russia ? Damn , when did that happen ? By all means then , this is WW3 . Pop the tops on the birds .

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JimSmith

It is odd to see such a complete 180 degree shift, and considering how many people supported that all-female punk band that was being censored/jailed in Russia.

I don't think people truly understand just how much of a authoritarian stranglehold the Russian government has over its people.

And suddenly in America, a loud portion of the population now wants authoritarian leadership?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I second this question.

It's a valid one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join