It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pros and Cons to California seceding from the USA?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

We already had that, they were called states, then liberals came into the picture and started giving the federal government more power and authority than the states. Now the liberals are crying, because of what they themselves have done.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
I do believe that ultimately, we will transition to a model which incorporates some elements of semi-autonomy within the United States. I also happen to believe that such a thing, done well, will make us all stronger in the long run.

Careful, that sounds like original federalism right there...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor
80% of our food comes from California.

They can leave, but we would have to invade and wipe them out to take their resources.

Win, win.

Don't believe if the % is that high anymore.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Semi-autonomy, as in for the States, i.e. stronger States rights? I think your right about that.
In a sense, arent we already moving that way? We see States decriminalizing marijuana and some legalizing recreational use, all the while, the Feds still have it as illegal, but theyve looked the other way.

So, yea,, that may be the future.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So, how long do you think it will be before a Chinese, Russian or South of the Border Country claims and foritfies CA for their own?

Not smart, period.

What might be smart is splitting N. CA off. Two whole different peoples right now.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

You tilt at your windmills, I'll tilt at mine.

The librul slur is useful, I'll admit, but -- ultimately boring.

More states rights? That we both agree on.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
a reply to: Teikiatsu

It would be bad for CA, and it would change a long stretch of coast into more land border to defend. China could sail right in and take over (theoretically, though I suspect we would defend CA as an ally.)

The US would also lose a huge portion of tax revenue. CA receives a lot less federal money than it puts in.

Might be, but how could that be with the money spent for illegal's and the state being deep in debt?

I suspect the quotes on the actual take back to CA are tainted as much of the 'news' of anything politically charged has proven to be. Gov moonbeam,has a spend spend spend personality from where I sit. A man/idiot whom I voted for when he was a third party Pres candidate many moons ago, and yes that I regret a lot.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It's just post-elections whining.

Same thing happened and still happens here in Brazil as some states want to secede.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
One positive from a secession attempt by California is that it will illustrate the importance of the 2nd Amendment.

If their attempt goes anything like previous attempts of other states, they will have to fight for it.

And they've made it nearly impossible to own a gun.

So who do you think will win? The Feds or the Rebs?

edit on 11/24/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

I do believe that ultimately, we will transition to a model which incorporates some elements of semi-autonomy within the United States. I also happen to believe that such a thing, done well, will make us all stronger in the long run.

Needs to read Federalist Papers.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

We can all take a look at some of the dictates from the left, such as the bathroom executive order, and how the left denounced any state that decided to go a different direction. Now that the country has tilted to the right, the left is all for state rights, until they gain power again. They're all for federal gun bans and registries, and anything that is deemed unfavorable to the left.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
You need 3/4s of the States to approve an amendment to the Constitution which is why this will never happen.

I'm not so certain that it would be difficult to get 3/4 of the states to approve removing Southern Cali from the US.
Actually, there might be a possibility we could just make them go whether they like it or not?

I think Northern Cali could stay with the rest of us.

The state already has too much power over the rest of us, with their 55 electoral votes, and still they complain.

But Seriously:
Our founding fathers intended every state to be autonomous. The union was intended to join us together for strength and protection. Our country was meant to live under one Constitution, but that should be the only law binding us.
Somehow that got twisted around over the generations. The federal government has too much power over our everyday lives.

It reminds me of the future of the EU. They are already losing their national identity. They will eventually become as one country with one set of laws.
Brexit was the best thing that the UK could have done.
I hope the other smart countries exit the EU. It would be the best thing they could do for their children.

If the US does not follow suit and realize that different parts of the country need our own identity, the only solution might be to divide, and that would be sad.

edit on 11/24/16 by BlueAjah because: remove extra letter

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Needs to read Federalist Papers.

Has

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
I'm not so certain that it would be difficult to get 3/4 of the states to approve removing Southern Cali from the US.

I seriously doubt at this point that you could get 3/4ths of the States to agree the sky is blue.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Im all for it. Would keep Californians from moving east and fouling up other states so much. Go back to LA where you belong.

Also im very pro states rights. Then people can move to states where they like the policies.
edit on 24-11-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

We can all take a look at some of the dictates from the left, such as the bathroom executive order, and how the left denounced any state that decided to go a different direction. Now that the country has tilted to the right, the left is all for state rights, until they gain power again. They're all for federal gun bans and registries, and anything that is deemed unfavorable to the left.

Like this:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: BlueAjah

I seriously doubt at this point that you could get 3/4ths of the States to agree the sky is blue.

30 of them agreed to Donald Trump. We'd just need 8 more to agree on California.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Bomb the Baldwins first. Then the Arquettes.

Blame Canada.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

30 of them agreed to Donald Trump. We'd just need 8 more to agree on California.

Interesting comparison since a CalExit is kinda like our last election, kicked in the nuts or punched in the nuts.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Every BS law whether a gun law or another, usually comes from that state. I would be fine with a 49 starred flag.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join