It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Pennsylvania hunting Law

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
...that was one tough ol' pig.

Most wild hogs/boar ARE. That's why I pack a semi-auto when I think I might encounter them. I had one head butt my truck once hard enough to slide it sideways. Not sure why it did that. It got right back up and ran back into the swamp. After that, I packed some pretty heavy firepower.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Yep,pigs are very tough.When I hunt in a area where they are I always carry something with stout bullets[ nosler partition,Barnes X],just in case I need to shoot one.I want to ensure I can get through that gristle and deep into the vitals.Well,when I take my .45-70 loaded with Speer 400 grain bullets at 1850 fps I really don`t worry about results,lol.But the .270 wsm might over expand with Ballistic tips so there`s the X-bullet loads perfect use.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

A friend of mine swears by his lever action .44 mag for pigs. Not sure what, in the way of bullets he uses--he does his own reloading, but he's always has pork in his freezer.

My pig scared me nearly to death. Made the mistake of agreeing to the hunt using handguns...take my word for it, a .357 magnum Desert Eagle is in no way sufficient. Nothing less than a .45-70 will ever be used, when or if, mostly if, I ever go pig hunting again.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seagullI`d feel like my .44 SuperRedhawk was barely adequate,rather have a rifle in.44 if I knew I was going into hog country.I have killed hogs with a .22,but that was raised hogs in a pen.Shot placement is critical.Those guys who use dogs and knives are crazy.we have bear and hogs where I hunt,rather run up against a bear anyday.

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ridgerunner

I learned that. In my defense, it was the first, and so far only, time I've ever hunted hog, I sat down later, and he told me everything he should have told me, and that I should have asked... Lesson learned.

I think my host got more scared than I did. He heard the multiple shots, and thought "oh, darn", and came a runnin'. Found me standing there with my reloaded desert eagle trained on the pig that was laying on the ground virtually at my feet...

Nine shots. I was less than pleased with that. Not only the needless pain for the hog, but I nearly joined in on the pain...

Handguns are likely never to feature in my hunting plans again... Not unless I have something quite a bit larger than I do now.

Big ol' sow...feral, too. Dressed out at around 200 lbs, if I remember correctly. I was busy coming down off my adrenaline rush.
edit on 11/26/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Main thing is you got the hog and without getting any scars to show for it.Lots of people who hunt then a lot have scars from those tusks.
a reply to: seagull

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You learned your lesson.

A handgun is only for working your way back to the rifle that you should have never put down.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The best thing about a handgun is you can always have it with you.I have a 1911 every time I go for a walk.Little weak for a bear or hog,but two legged varmints are well within capabilities of the old .45.Too many meth and bath salts users to go unarmed nowadays.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join