It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Pennsylvania hunting Law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I was not paying attention due to the U.S. Election.
This one caught me off guard and left scratching my head. Law makers are trying to pass a bill to allow Semi-Automatic Rifles for hunting. This legislation has been around since 2011.

Can I use my M1-Garand? My S&W Armolite aka AR-15? The AR is permitted for hunting in West Virginia. Possibly Ohio, but to be honest, I don't hunt. My dad was a hunter, as well as all my relatives and some friends. This is South Western Pa after all. My dad took me to see 'Bambi' when i was 5. It's the only time I've seen the movie and i still get the Feels😭

Don't go Rambo just yet. The Game Commission still has to consider what Calibers are appropriate for the size of the animal or game if you will.

pittsburgh.cbslocal.com...

"HARRISBURG, Pa. (KDKA/AP) – Gov. Tom Wolf has signed a bill into law that expands the list of firearms permitted for hunting in Pennsylvania to include semi-automatic rifles and handguns.

The new law doesn’t make semi-automatic weapons legal for hunting in time for the upcoming firearm deer season, which begins Monday.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has some decisions to make first.

“What species, what calibers, magazine restrictions, capacities stuff like that,” says Wildlife Conservation Officer Michael Yeck.~ per KDKA article.

Gov. Wolf is a Democrat. So I was not expecting him to expand on hunting privileges. So I have to reconsider his politics.

edit on 24-11-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Is your Garand the old .30-06? Or one of the .308 knock-offs? Here in Washington both are legal for hunting.

An AR-15 in 5.56 is a bit small, to my tastes.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Im assuming that youre against the proposal?

I think its a good idea.

Anything to expand legal ownership and use of firearms, especially those that are in danger of being outlawed is a step in the right direction.

Plenty of deer in PA, i know that.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Yes on the M1 Garand however a .30 caliber would be the smallest I would personally use for hunting. The .223 AR's are too small for my particular tastes.

Many hunting rifles are semi automatic as are a large portion of modern shotguns.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Is your Garand the old .30-06? Or one of the .308 knock-offs? Here in Washington both are legal for hunting.

An AR-15 in 5.56 is a bit small, to my tastes.

Bah, Jinx!

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh I thought it goes into effect next year.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

My Garand was an original still boxed in Cosmoline.
.30 John Garand.

The AR-15 I believe I could not drop a dear, unless it was less than 10 feet away, and I had a clear shot the the heart.
But like i said. I dont hunt. I buy my food at a store.😉
If there was ever a situation of survival. I could do it, I also have 2 cross bows. But i stink on ice with them.

I love target shooting. But most gun clubs here won't permit some of my firearms.

I have a buddy in Spokane, I'll have to inquire about his hunting.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

No. I agree with the decision. Lol... I was only stating I don't hunt right now.😊
And that a Democrat is going along with it.
edit on 24-11-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

True about the .223 bieng to small to down a deer at long distances.
I use my Mosberg and Remington 12 gauge for clay shooting. But they are great for bird hunting. But again, I just can't kill just yet.🤗
But i will in extreme situation.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Hunting. We should have evolved from "hunter / gatherer" by now.

Its not hunting, its not even sport. Its the slaughter of helpless animals.

If that is what it takes for you feel like a man (or a woman), then you truly need to analyse what is lacking in your life.

link   

Shotguns were the Swiss army knife of guns before the AR platform became widely available. Different barrel lengths and rifling, chokes, extension tubes, stock and on and on. Nothing wrong with a versatile weapon.

link   
a reply to: MissionTruth

Yes it won't be ready till fall 2017. As the article states.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthsSword
Hunting. We should have evolved from "hunter / gatherer" by now.

Its not hunting, its not even sport. Its the slaughter of helpless animals.

If that is what it takes for you feel like a man (or a woman), then you truly need to analyse what is lacking in your life.

Spoken like a true vegetarian. So going to the store and buying a piece of meat that you've no idea where it has come from is an evolution from harvesting your own?

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Well, if gun people say AR-15's are such great hunting rifles...I see no problem letting them use them. I'm a bit shocked people aren't allowed to use them for hunting. Why own them if you can't even shoot something to eat for dinner with it?

I mean, shooting paper targets is amusing I guess. I'd personally rather play paintball or laser tag and chase my friends around vs just poking holes in some paper and making loud bangs, watching money being ejected with every trigger pull out the slide.

*shrug*

Not anti-gun whatsoever, just kind of stunned people weren't allowed to use semi-auto long guns for hunting? Weird.

Yeah, you should be allowed to do that.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I'm not a sportsman. In fact, I hate cammo gear and all the out of shape dudes trying to look all tactical when they go hunting just to put animal carcasses on their walls.

I do, however, know people who go on trips to hunt and actually eat and use a shockingly large percentage of the animal. Even parts that I probably wouldn't want to eat myself. I'm pretty cool with that. An elk steak is a lot healthier than the beef from the supermarket

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

😊
Wow you and and Seagull know alot. I'm a bit of a simplton when it comes to the history of fire arms.
I have a German Mauser in a pile of parts. Thought it would make a good bolt action rifle. 8x57mm i think. Its collecting dust. Picked it up at a gun show for $600.00.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

To each their own. I personally do not know any hunters who do not eat what they kill. In fact most would need a rather special hunt that they would actually want to mount on their walls.

Hunting today for the most part is very humane. Also in states like mine and surrounding is very needed for population control.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
5.56 can easily take down a deer if you're a good shot. Hell, .22LR can as well, if you're a great shot. I don't recommend it, because if you just wound the deer, that's inhumane, but the possibility is there.

.308 would be my preference for whitetail. A good bolt gun is plenty.

Semi-Auto is better suited for varmints though. Coyotes and Feral Hogs come to mind...

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Experience is the best teacher!

I took my first deer with a Mauser. I believe it was a Swedish make but cannot remember what cartridge it shot. I do know it was big, loud and smoky! Hope you can get her put together someday.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

Never been wild hog hunting, but I live in Louisiana. The hogs are such a pest that there is no season or weapon limits on boars. You can roll out at night with thermal cameras and a silenced mp5 if you felt like it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join