It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How about this nice fireball from Florida?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

A 5 km (3.1 mi; 16,000 ft) deep sodium layer is located between 80–105 km (50–65 mi; 262,000–344,000 ft). Made of unbound, non-ionized atoms of sodium, the sodium layer radiates weakly to contribute to the airglow. The sodium has an average concentration of 400,000 atoms per cubic centimeter.

This band is regularly replenished by sodium sublimating from incoming meteors.

Thank you soul sister Anaana.

A 3 mile deep layer of available sodium, 50-or-so-miles "upthere".

And with the Blue Jets and Red Sprites and all.

I don't know enough about this stuff to know what to think.

Thank you so very much.

edit on 30-11-2016 by Dan00 because:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dan00
I don't know enough about this stuff to know what to think.

I don't think that anyone does, much like the deepest depths of the oceans, it's not easily explored and there hasn't been sufficient investment aimed at overcoming those difficulties. The mesosphere appears to me, from my limited perspective, to reduce the 'impact' of foreign bodies entering the biosphere by breaking down and 'harvesting' those components that are needed (nutritionally? structurally?) in the upper atmosphere. I try not to get anthropomorphic about it, however, it does appear to be an effective defense, all things considered. The processes going on up there are phenomenally interesting. I eagerly await further study.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I have hunted for meteorites for years without luck. Time to go to Florida. Eh, nevermind.

<< 1   >>

join