It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steven Bannon - odd bio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
What about this guy's military record is off here? A lot, I'd say. Maybe a look at his DD214(discharge paper) would be in order, if he actually has one.

The Navy could not immediately provide any details about Bannon’s military career. Officials cited undisclosed issues with the service's personnel archives.

The Trump campaign did not return phone calls seeking the particulars of Bannon’s service.
Military Times August 20, 2016, Trump's controversial new adviser promoted conservatism even in the Navy

Wikipedia has this biographical material:

Early life, family. and education

Stephen Kevin Bannon was born on November 27, 1953, in Norfolk, Virginia, into a working-class, Irish Catholic, pro-Kennedy, pro-union family of Democrats.[15][16] He graduated from Virginia Tech in 1976 and holds a master's degree in National Security Studies from Georgetown University. In 1983, Bannon received an M.B.A. degree with honors from Harvard Business School.[17]

Service in U.S. Navy

Bannon was an officer in the United States Navy for seven years in the late 1970s and early 1980s, serving on the destroyer USS Paul F. Foster as a Surface Warfare Officer in the Pacific Fleet and stateside as a special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations at the Pentagon.[18]
en.wikipedia.org...

Somewhere else, I read that he enlisted right out of High School.

Let's do some math:
born 1953, age 18, 1971
enlisted say 1971.

Now it is very difficult to go from enlisted to commissioned officer while doing one's military job; juggling work with classes. In 8 years in the Air Force I wasn't able to do it. There are external degree programs offered by universities for military personnel and prisoners with classes on base or in the brig(jail,prison). In the brig with no official duties would be ideal time wise for graduating in 5 years with a B.A. or B.S. degree.

So that's 5 years out of his 7 years. Another 6 months to 1 year to meet other requirements for a board to grant a commission. So somehow, during his last year in the Navy, he manages to earn a master's degree in National Security Studies from Georgetown University, while serving on the USS Paul F. Foster and special assistant to the Chief of Naval Operations at the Pentagon as a very junior officer.

This whole bio seems a bit crudely and haphazardly concocted to me. Has anyone seen his DD214? How about diplomas? Does anyone remember being his room mate in college? Parties? Cell mate?

I'm reminded of what "consulting" and "special assistant" may entail from this movie:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Somewhere else, I read that he enlisted right out of High School.

Let's do some math:
born 1953, age 18, 1971
enlisted say 1971.

You are basing your entire thread on the "fact" that you read "somewhere else" that he enlisted. Why do you assume he enlisted at 18? What if he went to college first, THEN enlisted? OCS doesn't take that long. I enlisted in the Navy in 1971 and was selected for OCS during boot camp. It's not that unusual.

Your whole issue is just speculation. Come up with the actual facts, THEN make your case.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Maybe ROTC ?

Or special CIA ops.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I am not sure because I was in the Army, but it seems I heard in the Navy if you are a supervisor enlisted you can get an officer commission?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
I am not sure because I was in the Army, but it seems I heard in the Navy if you are a supervisor enlisted you can get an officer commission?

I believe it still takes a college degree, but there are many avenues to a commission. During the time in question Zumwalt was CNO and he was very innovative. You may be thinking of the LDO program, which is "Limited Duty Officer." These are, indeed, usually taken from the ranks of senior enlisted (i.e.: "supervisors") where a person is given a commission and generally cannot rise above the rank of Lieutenant Commander (O-4), though I know of exceptions. They are assigned to their enlisted specialties (hence, 'limited'.) This is the same group of people from where warrant officers are taken as well.

There also is (and was) the "Seaman to Admiral" program where they take motivated enlisted people and shove them through college in a blitz approach. They get advancement while in the program and get commissioned upon completion, which is about three years. As mentioned, there's also OCS, which takes just a few months, an ROTC, which gets you a commission upon graduation from college. People that start out enlisted and become commissioned are called "Mustangs" and, in the Navy, "white hats." as in, "He was a white hat," referring to the dixie cup hat worn by E-1 through E-6 sailors.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

According to the Wikipedia page you linked to, he served from 1976 to 1983. (Look at the bottom of the sidebar in the upper right corner of the page.

So Bannon enlisted the same year he received his BA at Virginia Tech -- 1976.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

According to the Wikipedia page you linked to, he served from 1976 to 1983. (Look at the bottom of the sidebar in the upper right corner of the page.

So Bannon enlisted the same year he received his BA at Virginia Tech -- 1976.

Thank you. I missed that sidebar. Also, I didn't read the whole Military Times article, because of formatting. I thought the article ended after the quote.

However, the dates in Wikipedia do not list a source. The only source for Military Service comes from the Military Times article. The only source in the article comes from statements by retired Rear Adm. Edward “Sonny” Masso. That would include the dates for service in the sidebar.

The Navy could not immediately provide any details about Bannon’s military career. Officials cited undisclosed issues with the service's personnel archives.

No entrance date by Navy. No commission date by Navy. No discharge date by Navy.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

Thank you. I missed that sidebar.

I almost did too!

Also, I didn't read the whole Military Times article, because of formatting. I thought the article ended after the quote.

Been there, done that. So damn annoying!

However, the dates in Wikipedia do not list a source. The only source for Military Service comes from the Military Times article. The only source in the article comes from statements by retired Rear Adm. Edward “Sonny” Masso. That would include the dates for service in the sidebar.

I noticed that too. I think there's something fishy about Bannon. Just not sure what yet. But I'll be watching your thread although I don't have much more to add.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

It must be frustrating not being able to find any actual evidence of Bannon being a racist nazi and having to resort to finding some kind of scandal in his naval record.
edit on 23-11-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

It must be frustrating not being able to find any actual evidence of Bannon being a racist nazi and having to resort to finding some kind of scandal in his naval record.

True enough. OP has been unable to substantiate anything awry about his record. The wrongful speculation that he enlisted at 18 turns out to be untrue. The idea that he enlisted AT ALL has not been proven, but the fact that he graduated from college at age 22-23 and entered the Navy means there were several ways he could have become an officer, so the idea that he could NOT have become an officer is also untrue, despite OP's inability to do so. I followed a similar path to Bannon at the same time. i.e.: Graduated from college, enlisted in the Navy, got selected for OCS in 1971. So you can't say that can't happen because I did it myself at roughly the same time Bannon did.

So all OP has is that someone (We don't know whom.) was unable to get dates of service information from the Navy immediately upon request. Reminds me of the phrase (was is Carl Sagan?) "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." So unless someone can provide documentary evidence to the contrary, this line of inquiry is at a dead end.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

The best bits are stuck to the bottom. Never tried Vegemite?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

And the DD214 is the evidence, if it exists.

So unless someone can provide documentary evidence to the contrary, this line of inquiry is at a dead end.

If I had standing, in a legal sense, or even a wealthy public patron, which I don't, then I could demand to see the DD214. Start a movement, call it "Fosterer Movement".

Oh well! Wishful thinking and $2.50 will get me a Starbucks Vanilla Latte; if I could get a ride.
edit on 23-11-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Breitbart.com's bio for Steven Bannon: by Breitbart News17 Aug 2016

NYT: Meet Stephen K. Bannon
From Sea to Silver Screen

Before entering the business world, Mr. Bannon was in the military. For seven years, he was a surface warfare officer in the Navy. He served in battle groups that were stationed in the Arabian Sea and in the Persian Gulf. After that, he was stationed at the Pentagon, becoming special assistant to the chief of naval operations during President Ronald Reagan’s first term.

Read the rest here.*

* [a link to a New York Times article which states, "Bannon, a veteran..." as its only mention of military service]

The wrongful speculation that he enlisted at 18 turns out to be untrue.

No. Just can't find the reference. It was actually a pro-Bannon piece, with Enlisting straight out of High School as a bragging point.

the idea that he could NOT have become an officer is also untrue, despite OP's inability to do so. I followed a similar path to Bannon at the same time. i.e.: Graduated from college, enlisted in the Navy, got selected for OCS in 1971. So you can't say that can't happen because I did it myself at roughly the same time Bannon did.

If, he was selected at boot camp to enter the program, and spent 3 years on the Navy's dime to get his bachelors degree, did he then sign a contract to serve as an officer for 3 years for each year of education? That would be a total of 12 years rather than 10. Was he RIFted? What rank did he have when discharged?

So all OP has is that someone (We don't know whom.) was unable to get dates of service information from the Navy immediately upon request.

It was a reporter for the Navy Times, doing a story for Military Times who was unable to get any details from the Navy.

Most people I know, when using military service as a bragging point, mention what rank they had on discharge. Just saying.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
originally posted by: pthena

^ No. Just can't find the reference. It was actually a pro-Bannon piece, with Enlisting straight out of High School as a bragging point.

Then there is no evidence. Either cite it or don't, but you can't use something as a reference if you can't even find it.

^ If, he was selected at boot camp to enter the program, and spent 3 years on the Navy's dime to get his bachelors degree, did he then sign a contract to serve as an officer for 3 years for each year of education? That would be a total of 12 years rather than 10. Was he RIFted? What rank did he have when discharged?

You're cherry picking and misunderstanding. There are two different programs. The "Seaman to Admiral" program is for sailors that do NOT Have a degree but show potential. OCS, right out of boot camp, would have taken a few weeks, literally. If he went to OCS none of the rest of your speculation stands. If he enlisted out of college, the OCS route would have been appropriate. The dates would indicate that. That's what I did myself at roughly the same time.

^ It was a reporter for the Navy Times, doing a story for Military Times who was unable to get any details from the Navy.

Oh, dear. So? The fact is anyone can get basic service records for about $10 and a social security number. Otherwise, you probably can't. And "demanding" to get them won't do you any good. Why? Because it's a personnel matter. No business or government entity in the country will give you access to personnel records. You don't have the right to a DD214.

^ Most people I know, when using military service as a bragging point, mention what rank they had on discharge. Just saying.

Good for them. This means absolutely nothing in terms of Bannon. This kind of thing happens when people start speculating about stuff they know nothing about. This entire thread is based on abject speculation by amateurs. You guys are making stuff up, then coming to conclusions based on what you made up. What I have done here is show beyond the shadow of a doubt that Bannon could very well have served in the Navy as stated. There's no mystery here. How do I know? BECAUSE I DID THE SAME THING!!! Do you get it yet? I have the knowledge and the expertise to show how this was done and you do not. You're running on fumes here--your own. If you've got some issues with Bannon, by all means Bring It On! But to question his service record in this manner is just ignorant.

edit on 11/24/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Then there is no evidence. Either cite it or don't, but you can't use something as a reference if you can't even find it.

But every reference in print to Bannon's military service is based upon hearsay, just as my "I read it once" is, as far as you are concerned. As far as I am concerned, yes, I actually read it once.

Breitbart.com wrote, "Mr. Bannon was in the military." No time period mentioned. Was it 10 years? Doesn't say.
"For seven years, he was a surface warfare officer in the Navy." For seven years, out of the unspecified time, he had a job title. "After that, he was stationed at the Pentagon, becoming special assistant to the chief of naval operations..." Then he was stationed at Pentagon and had a job title.

I have yet to read a report by any one, writing, "He was commissioned on _/_/_, highest rank of _, awarded on _/_/_, discharged on _/_/_ with the rank of _". Can you find a single instance of any one of these blank details being stated? All I've seen is people writing that he's a veteran because it has been written previously that he is a veteran.

A funny thing happened yesterday at a family WednsGivingDay dinner. My brother-in-law(call him Bob) told a story about him and my ex-wife's brother-in-law(call him Bill) touring a Navy ship. The fee was posted as $6.00. Bill says to the ticket seller, "We should be allowed in for free because it is Veterans Day." Bob meanwhile, is thinking, "Dude, it's only twelve dollars". For twenty minutes Bill keeps on saying, "We should get in for free." Eventually, they get in for free. Then, Bill finds an attendant and suggests (repeatedly, for 15 minutes), that he should give them a guided tour, "because it is Veterans Day". They got the guided tour. Neither Bob nor Bill are actually veterans.

If he went to OCS none of the rest of your speculation stands. If he enlisted out of college, the OCS route would have been appropriate. The dates would indicate that. That's what I did myself at roughly the same time.

Yes, that seems correct, "If". But your experience does not transfer to another's experience. You went OCS route. That doesn't mean that Bill did, or Bob.

Why? Because it's a personnel matter. No business or government entity in the country will give you access to personnel records. You don't have the right to a DD214.

Yet several businesses (government contractors mostly) have certified copies of my DD214, as required from me for hiring purposes. My DD214(copies) are all over the place. If a reporter wrote a story about me; stating my highest rank held and discharge date, no big deal. I'd probably be a bit pissed if my SSN was made public.

Bloomberg Business doesn't even give a single date or rank for Bannon, in the entry they have CEO profile.

This entire thread is based on abject speculation by amateurs. You guys are making stuff up, then coming to conclusions based on what you made up.

What amateurs? I don't see a co-author listed on the OP. Speculation, sure, I concede. Standing by for factual data still.

What I have done here is show beyond the shadow of a doubt that Bannon could very well have served in the Navy as stated.

Yes, beyond the shadow of a doubt, could have, just like he could have been RIFted, could have been discharged under circumstances best not mentioned, could be still an undercover Navy officer on a mission best not discussed.

ETA

I probably wouldn't be too upset if some of the ribbons and decorations listed on my DD214 got leaked to a reporter.
edit on 24-11-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Any one is welcome to jump in with any details about Bannon. Quite an enigma basically.

The source for anecdotal evidence of Bannon's Naval career is from Rear Admiral Edward “Sonny” Masso, USN ,Retired. He seems to be quite the open book compared to Bannon.

RADM Masso retired from the US Navy in 2009 as Commander Navy Personnel Command after two tours of duty with previous service as Assistant Deputy Chief of Naval Operations and Vice Commander of Naval Surface Forces Command. He has worked in the private sector in various leadership positions at SAIC, Anteon Corporation, Logicon-Syscon, Scientific Atlanta, Unisys, and General Electric.
Blueridge Networks - Senior Advisors

That's Masso's bio blurb for Blue Ridge Networks, where he serves under Robert Bigman, former Chief Information Security Officer to the CIA; and with Alan Wade, also a former Chief Information Officer for the CIA.

Axon AI also added Edward “Sonny” Masso to its board as of August 26, 2014.

He presently is President of Flagship Connection, a high technology consulting firm, and serves as a Senior Fellow in Cyber Security at the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies, and on the Boards of Advisors for Blueridge Networks and Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs.
Mr. Ira A. (Gus) Hunt currently serves as President and CEO of Hunt Technology, LLC, a consulting company focused on strategic IT planning, cyber security, data-centric protection, and the cloud. He is an Operating Partner with LLR partners and an advisor to Artis Ventures. Mr. Hunt retired from federal service as senior executive having served 28 years with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), most recently as their Chief Technology Officer. As CTO, Mr. Hunt set the information technology strategic direction and future technology investment plan for CIA and was the motivating force behind CIA’s decision to acquire a copy of both the Amazon cloud and IBM’s Watson.
axonconnected further expands

Masso is also part of the leadership team at Herdt Consulting, Inc.

Why, with all these former CIA information contacts merged with private business consulting fees, and his Navy retirement check, which would be rather high for Rear Admiral, would he take a job paying less than $135,000 as North Carolina Public Safety Chief Operating Officer, which he abruptly resigned from in July 2013?
www.wral.com...
from-shenanigans-to-scandal

top topics

join