It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Political correctness spoiled my radio debut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Holy crap.

To be honest I think the show went okay but that's not the point-I was stifled by the Helen Lovejoys who throw a tantrum every time they hear something they don't like. A few days before my debut as the comic relief my "teacher" showed me the ropes and told what me what you can and cannot say and boy there's a lot I couldn't say.

No Irish jokes-my family originates from Ireland but I still can laugh at a good Irish joke

No Blonde jokes are allowed because it might seem sexist-despite the fact my late mother was blonde but I still laugh at blonde jokes.

And don't get me started on Religion and politics, if I said I was agnostic and didn't like Trump I'd be in big trouble.

Now I don't condone racism, bigotism or sexism but there has to be a clear line drawn in the sand. I agree that radio stations should adhere to common sense and all but surely there needs to be some leniency because all I tried to do was tell some light hearted quips but the manager doesn't want to risk losing a sponsor because one person rings in and complains despite the thousands of others laughing.

Don't give it if you can't take it, and to quote myself verbatim "I just lost half of my material" you might be an artist and draw a naked lady but I guarantee that at least one person will say it's crass or crude despite it's beauty. So I ask you: where do we draw the line when it comes to political correctness?
edit on 23-11-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Would drawing a line today really work ? I mean it seems to be a moving goal post anyway.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

It's the radio so FCC rules and personal opinions of owners.

PC is getting very very tiresome at times
I guess you could start drawing the line by refusing to perform and vent why afterwards.

I'm sure there are lots of other outlets to just be yourself material wise.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Pretty much everything you outlined is why I am slowly taking myself out of western culture...

Political correctness is a total cluster # and it is sad that people have to even hide away now to tell a joke. Do not get me started on anything said in the work place.

We are all just one conversation away from being fired, having disciplinary action taken against us to being sued to then be put in jail for a hate crime..

RA

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Where do we draw the line? Probably wherever our employer decides to draw it. It's not as if the government demanded no blonde jokes. I bet if you started your own radio show, you could tell them all you want.

top topics

join