It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop complaining about global this - global that

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here, a little poster I made, awaiting a reply from Greenpeace!

I wonder what great ideas the big brainers are going to come up with next.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Global Dimming actually accelerates global warming so get your facts straight.

news.bbc.co.uk...

If you want to know what an out of control greenhouse effect looks like, look at Venus, which is the hottest planet in our solar system(and the second closest at 0.6 AU) yet only around 2% of the solar radiation actually hits the surface. Same thing is happening here. You see all the ash, soot, sulphates spewed by Cars and Coal plants actaully act as IR(Infrared) Absorbers. So anyway you look at it its a bad thing. Or are you in the camp that its all a Hoax and all Climate Scientists are full of S***?

BTW Whats up with the animosity towards Greenpeace? As for your "fact" at the bottom of your...propaganda piece, why is that a problem? Greens need transportation too ya know. I do not agree with Greens who drive gas guzzling SUV's as I believe they are hypocrites, but at least the majority that I have met owned tiny 30mpg+ cars, the rest used public transportation or thier feet.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Cut to the chase:

Plain and simple - less pollution = more heat, not nessasarily damaging, just more heat, so people complain about that, the ice caps will melt & the sea level will rise.
More pollution is supposed to act as a layer also - blocking out the sunlight = global dimming = colder.
That article says nothing apart from ''the decline in sunlight may mean that global warming is a far greater threat to society than previously thought.''
One or the other is going to happen - pollution or not, so what are those big brainers gonna do?

Greenpeace needs transportation? If opposers suggest this to them, from our view, it's either ''ride a bicycle'' or ''move home, or ''find a local job''.

What's so special about a threat of another ice age, as some discuss - it's happened before, it's a natural occurance, whats the reason for it occuring during the age of the dinosaurs, they drove automobiles?

PS: By the time global warming or dimming has taken it's tole, the world will probably be near to an end - it won't happen in my lifetime anyway - common sense! Ask the majority of people, and you'll find a threat of ''global warming'' isn't going to change their monday mornings in the least.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by SteveG]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Take a science class you'll learn allot

Soot, Ash and Sulphates ABSORB Infrared Light. This means the heat is not reflected back into space so that means the more particulates = more heating. Read the article man, or do you believe the BBC is not credible

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Soot, Ash and Sulphates ABSORB Infrared Light. This means the heat is not reflected back into space so that means the more particulates = more heating. Read the article man, or do you believe the BBC is not credible

20 years ago they were saying ''brown bread is bad for you'' a few years later ''brown is good, white is bad'' - and you think I believe everything the media publishes. Lmao!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveG

20 years ago they were saying ''brown bread is bad for you'' a few years later ''brown is good, white is bad'' - and you think I believe everything the media publishes. Lmao!

So you're saying Science is wrong when they say Soot and Ash absorb light? You want the link to the peer-reviewed article? Well you can Google it yourself as you have an Idea in your head an you probably will not let go of it so I'm not putting in the effort. Oh well, can't Deny Ignorace everyday
Oh well.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Global temperates have been changing before humans ever arrived, the industrial world, it's part of the earth - so whats the difference? If it's going to happen again, whats different? What about volcanos / volcanism, did that play a part, ahhhhhhhhh.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveG

So you're saying Science is wrong when they say Soot and Ash absorb light? You want the link to the peer-reviewed article? Well you can Google it yourself as you have an Idea in your head an you probably will not let go of it so I'm not putting in the effort. Oh well, can't Deny Ignorace everyday
Oh well.

No I'm not disputing that fact, but considering this is a forum, with lots of conspiracists with plenty of time on their hands - looks like we're gonna have to ban smoking - farting, methane and so on. All this contributes to global warming. Millions of people fart!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Never mind dimming, pay more attention to the temperature and the salinity of the sea, specifically at the Bering Street.

Gulf-Stream shutdown....

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Global climate prediction is iffy at best.

We have no baseline to work from. The earth has seen Atmospheres dominated by Nitrogen, CO2, O2, or various temperatures.

There have been magnetic pole shift, massive global flooding, asteroid impacts, and many other global events.

Now humans are just another effect on the planet. We may be changing the planet, but its really only bad for us, live has always adjusted and made a come back.

One think you don't see enough of in the green movment is acknowledgment of advances. We have cut emmisions, started recycling tons of materials, and added to the alternate energy sources. But the movment is fear driven, "OMG CHANGE NOW OR WE'LL ALL DIE!!!".

But the truth is we are improving how we act and effect the world.

WE should continue to improve and try to have minimal effect on a world that has enough reasons to change as is.

One thing that will never stop, people needing a cause to get behind. Some people just get so worked up trying to help change they lose sight of the reality and thing is the end of the world... but no matter what we do, even if we nuked the surface of the planet, live and the world will still be here.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am not one that really thinks the effects of human kind are a central source of the alleged global warming. I think nature simple changes over time and the smarter we get with each generation, the more we question what is just part of nature. It is good that we do that however, to jump to panic levels does not seem rational. If the world is headed for a meltdown or a new ice age, then it is and I doubt there is much that can be done to stop it.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You DOUBT that there is much that can be done? Why in fact in the sentence before that you glorified our growing intelligence. Why then would you doubt that we couldn't delay such a disaster?

In fact we DO have the intelligence to research, study, create models, distinguish different factors that may contribute and all of this fun stuff. The problem is that people are taking your view and that is the wrong one.

A tsunami killed 300 000 people. The whole world feels bad, but the threat of millions dead doesn't bother half the world? NOW let's talk about hypocrites.

The only people that should be posting here are those that have passed high school science. Them and only them.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
'' tsunami killed 300 000 people. The whole world feels bad, but the threat of millions dead doesn't bother half the world? NOW let's talk about hypocrites.''

Ohh my god, really.
If global dimming & global warming is such a threat, why am I always freezing my nuts off here in the UK.
I'm not ignorant - just realistic.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ric

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Global Dimming actually accelerates global warming so get your facts straight.

news.bbc.co.uk...

If you want to know what an out of control greenhouse effect looks like, look at Venus, which is the hottest planet in our solar system(and the second closest at 0.6 AU) yet only around 2% of the solar radiation actually hits the surface. Same thing is happening here. You see all the ash, soot, sulphates spewed by Cars and Coal plants actaully act as IR(Infrared) Absorbers. So anyway you look at it its a bad thing. Or are you in the camp that its all a Hoax and all Climate Scientists are full of S***?

BTW Whats up with the animosity towards Greenpeace? As for your "fact" at the bottom of your...propaganda piece, why is that a problem? Greens need transportation too ya know. I do not agree with Greens who drive gas guzzling SUV's as I believe they are hypocrites, but at least the majority that I have met owned tiny 30mpg+ cars, the rest used public transportation or thier feet.

About the venus thing... anyone ever thought that maybe it was created by a lost civilisation who polluted their planet to death? Or maybe came to this planet after?

new topics

top topics

join