It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to tap S.C. Gov. Nikki Haley as U.N. ambassador

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: ketsuko

Wars always only benefit the rich and they're always fought by the poor. Just look at Afghanistan and Iraq. How many soldiers do you think profited from the acquisition of oil rights or had stock in Halliburton? I'm guessing few to none. But they fought because those in charge were able to convince the populace that the people from those countries were trying to change or way of life. In the end the only thing that was really accomplished was massive profits for Dick Cheney and his friends.

Now I am aware that the Civil War was fought over more than just slavery. However to say that the have nots won't fight in wars that only benefit the haves ignores all of human history.

The "have nots" were fighting for states rights, the rich were sitting back waiting to see whether or not they'd have their slaves at the end. When Lincoln freed slaves below the border states in 1863, it was his attempt to distract the Confederates. He expected them to pull away and chase down the slaves, which turns out, weren't theirs because they didn't own any, so the soldiers stayed and fought. That's also why Lincoln made it clear they were ONLY free if they escaped north of the Mason Dixon.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Me too. Wish they would. Of coarse attaching district commercial property tax to school district funding is not going to help educate the kids in those neighborhoods or provide the police force to protect them.

It's funny everyone knows these bad neighborhoods, who the drug dealers are, and where the dangerous areas are yet nothing gets done, no cops on the street. Yet they spy on the common person and take away rights of privacy.

So yeah high crime areas usually have high political corruption or high incompetanancy in governing bodies.

The mayor in Columbia is terrible.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: eriktheawful

Well half the people here in this city are slave ancestors.

How about we, right next to the war statue we put one of 5 slaves in shackles? Would that be OK with you? Or Medgar Evers? It was a good compromise.

If not explain the logic in your rant.

It's rediculous. This whole town has civil war monuments.

When they come for the museum I will fight with you. Until then there is no reason based argument.

Why not 5 freed slaves that fought alongside the Confederates? Why do they have to be in shackles?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Insults? You want a special privilege above others in society. You don't understand the social contract. Your as entitled as Bernie kids wanting everything for free.

My family has lots of history here and sacrifice, I can trace it back to the 1500'S because a priest came over with the soldiers. My family came and conquered this land and killed natives so you could have a confederacy.

I don't need a monument to be interested in or have reverence for my family.

That is in my heart. Not on a building.

Your proud of what the confederacy was, not your family. They are honored in a cemetery.

Your flag off Graves comment is really juvenile. It has no logical comparison to soldiers who died for the United States of America.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Because five freed slaves doesn't represent the people's history for the majority of slave ancestors.

Why not have a monument for the South Carolina defectors to the union army?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Double

edit on 23-11-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Because five freed slaves doesn't represent the people's history for the majority of slave ancestors.

Why not have a monument for the South Carolina defectors to the union army?

Why not? They were all freed during the Civil War. That's what the concern is all about it would seem. Slavery spent most of its days, and its most horrible days under the US Flag, not the Confederate Flag or the Confederacy. People always forget that very important fact.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I don't argue that fact.

Just that you need to govern based on all the people in the community.

So if your symbol is causing that much grief and the history is ugly why not just drop it.

The flag went up during the Civil rights fight Era didn't it?

Why put your symbol on the top of the state house during the end of Jim Crow laws?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I am sorry for this I will leave the thread I have stirred up a sub topic of Haley here.

My point was I don't think she is a gifted logistical legislator but she is a good diplomat. She has conceded positions based on community outreach rather than only corporate. She is also savy when it comes to deals. Even though she listens to the community she is good for industry and pulling in investments into the job infrastructure.

Those are the reasons I think she would be a good diplomat.

Choosing to compromise with her current community which less than half are native doesn't bother me at all.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I trust Donald Trump to make the best appointments. That's why we elected him...not to be OUR puppet.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I guarantee small hands Trump won't be tapping that. Dishonest media.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I don't argue that fact.

Just that you need to govern based on all the people in the community.

So if your symbol is causing that much grief and the history is ugly why not just drop it.

The flag went up during the Civil rights fight Era didn't it?

Why put your symbol on the top of the state house during the end of Jim Crow laws?

Freedom from federal government, Southern pride. MLK started the push on Civil Rights, nobody cringes when driving down boulevards named after him, although the residents in the area tend to always tear up every neighborhood that touches it. Nobody complains about a holiday in his remembrance. He gives pride to blacks, just like the Confederacy gives pride to the South. And as originally stated, this was never a problem until June 2015. The only people that flag hurts are hypersensitive snowflakes.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Why did the flag go up in 61?

What was it a response too.

Being proud of a culure is fine. Being proud of a region is dangerous. Being proud of a color is a threatened response.

I have never said to myself Wahoo I am white my skin is so awesome!

I also have never taken pride in forcing other people to do my work.

Lots of public racists took your flag and made that symbol somwthing else.

If you can't live with understanding the social contract and that things get conceded for the greater good you should stop using roads and infrastructure.

If the flag that racist neo Nazi groups use is that big a deal to you to upset your neighbor, most hardly snowflakes but poor black folks who society and the war on poverty took a dump on then maybe you should evaluate your contract.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Being proud of a culure is fine. Being proud of a region is dangerous. Being proud of a color is a threatened response.

I have never said to myself Wahoo I am white my skin is so awesome!

I also have never taken pride in forcing other people to do my work.

Lots of public racists took your flag and made that symbol somwthing else.

If you can't live with understanding the social contract and that things get conceded for the greater good you should stop using roads and infrastructure.

If the flag that racist neo Nazi groups use is that big a deal to you to upset your neighbor, most hardly snowflakes but poor black folks who society and the war on poverty took a dump on then maybe you should evaluate your contract.

I already answered your first question. For the bolded, it's not my fault that racists used my ancestors' flag. They also used the US Flag and nothing is said about that. If people were up to date on history, they wouldn't be so offended over the Confederate Flag. They're offended because they're taught to be.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

People do need better education including the racists and no they don't use the American flag the same way.

It doesn't matter though. What if I am a hindu in a Jewish neighborhood in the 50'S should I put a swastika flag up because not everyone knows it means something else?

Usually when you are a good person you just concede public domain out of respect. There is a monument and museum. It's hardly like they got rid of the memorial. You do that so you can have a relationship in the community. Slavery is a very big deal and the severity of misjustice it represents morally allows for some tolerance of being a bit touchy.

Why wasn't the flag above the statehouse before 61?

Why at the height of racial tension did they put up the cofederate flag?

Seems the government was using the flag a symbol of racist defiance to me.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: luthier

I would imagine she would have had the engraved flags removed as well, except they are set in stone.

You also live in a society where other people ancestors had memories and history that needs to be considered.

Sounds a lot like "go sit in the back of the bus."

No.

TheRedneck

Riiiiiiight.

Considering others ancestors and history is somehow the equivalent of being told something that a black woman was told during segregation... makes complete sense.

The victim card is always an affront.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Your flag off Graves comment is really juvenile. It has no logical comparison to soldiers who died for the United States of America.

And that is exactly why a Memorial should never be touched by anyone not a descendant of those it honors.

You just stated you see a difference between a Confederate War Memorial, and an American War Memorial. You hypocrite! All you personally care about, apparently, is your own heritage... and simultaneously try to degrade me for caring about mine. This is exactly what is causing the strife in America today. You hurl accusations, and then the truth comes out that the one clamoring for special treatment is... YOU!

"Leave my monuments alone, but let's not concern ourselves with others' monuments. They're not important."

I guess those of us of Southern heritage aren't really Americans either, are we?

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Probably a concern that equality for all would morph into a (worse) hatred for Southerners.

Not unfounded, as it turns out. Thanks for proving that.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Strategic. Haley, who was not a fan of The Donald, out as a governor of a politically strategic (Koch-GOP) state. A definite Trump supporter, Henry McMaster moves up to governor. Haley earns international creds to have her run as future POTUS.

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And if the schools taught history properly, maybe they'd know more than just that "the South wanted to keep us enslaved." But that is tragically all the Civil War is ever portrayed as in schools. While it is a big issue and a trigger, there was much more to it.

Most of the soldiers who fought and died never would have ever been able to own slaves whether they wanted to or not. And if slavery was all it was about, the actual rebellion and war would never have happened. I don't think you would have gotten that many people to fight and die for something they never had or never expected to have.

Since we're talking about South Carolina, I suggest you read the Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union. The primary cause listed WAS slavery and other states antipathy to it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join