It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lost Frenchman Found In Mushroom Caves After 35 Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Wandering into some mushroom caves while intoxicated, a 48 year-old Frenchman was found alive after 35 days of feeding off wood, clay, and dripping water. He journeyed inside the caves to be alone, but lost his way after venturing too far.

story.news.yahoo.com
A 48 year-old Frenchman who went missing last month has been found emaciated but alive in an underground cave system where he spent 35 days in pitch blackness eating nothing but wood and clay.

Taking a bottle of whisky he drove to an abandoned mushroom farm consisting of a vast complex of underground galleries. But in the total darkness he became disoriented and was unable to find his way out. "I kept looking for a week," Josuat-Verges told the Journal du Dinanche newspaper Sunday. "It was truly terrible fumbling around with nothing to eat. Luckily the walls were dripping with water so I could drink."

"It was the survival instinct that saved me. I never panicked. I even sang a bit. I found some old plastic sheets which I wrapped myself in and then I went into a corner from which I did not budge. "There was no food so I sucked bits of limestone for the minerals, as well as decomposing wood and lumps of clay. Hunger was never a problem, unlike the cold and the damp," he said. On Thursday a group of teenagers taking advantage of a teachers' strike went to explore the mushroom farm -- which is off-limits to the public -- and saw Josuat-Verges' vehicle. They alerted police, who sent in a search party and found him the next day only 200 metres from the entrance.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although it may not have been the brightest idea to seek solitude deep in pitch-black cave, I have to applaud the frenchman for his survival instinct. To live off decomposing wood, clay, limestone, and dripping water for that long a period of time is just incredible. Maybe next time he feels like being alone he can just take a long drive like the rest of us.

[edit on 26-1-2005 by zhangmaster]

join