It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Six electors have vowed to cast ballots against their state’s popular vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

At least six electors — members of the Electoral College whose votes actually elect the President — have vowed to cast ballots that don't align with the popular vote results of their states, Politico reported Tuesday.

If they carry out their intentions — in effect, becoming "faithless electors" — they would narrow Donald Trump's margin-of-victory in the Electoral College over Hillary Clinton.

LINK

I expected this to happen on a small scale. Thank goodness it should take at least thirty seven faithless electors to possibly change the result of the election.

There's still another step after the Electoral College vote. Congress has to approve of the vote.

I've been thinking recently that this process may be a way to control someone who has just been elected president in terms of picking their cabinet. They may be told that if the establishment doesn't approve of their cabinet, they may not be allowed to become president.

Here's an interesting examination of the issue.

Here's why the electoral college (probably) won't stop Donald Trump from becoming president
edit on 22-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What a mess. So if they do that then some electors that are supposed to give it to Hillary in their state like the one in Washington will just give it to Trump.

2 can play that stupid game.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

These electors are basically setting their own political careers on fire. The people in their state have spoken. They won't be electors much longer. Go ahead. Anyone who goes against their people should be set on fire.

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Now the Hillary Brownshirts need to threaten just a few more for her to begin her reign of terror.

Bunch of effing Nazi's.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Now the Hillary Brownshirts need to threaten just a few more for her to begin her reign of terror.

Bunch of effing Nazi's.

Money probably talks more to these electors than threats, and I doubt that would be a problem for the Clinton's either.

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Might get your 4th Reich after all!

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Penalties for faithless electors: wiki linki

Twenty-one states do not have laws compelling their electors to vote for a pledged candidate.[3] Twenty-nine states plus the District of Columbia have laws to penalize faithless electors, although these have never been enforced.

I suppose some would be willing to risk it...Imho though: Play stupid games; win stupid prizes.

+7 more 
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

saw this one coming. if the election was very close, she could either buy or threaten enough electors to change their votes. However, I find it unlikely that they will be able to flip over thirty of them. Still, the fact that they can be flipped is disturbing to me.

link   

Haha. As much as I don't like Trump it's a far worse thing to subvert our democratic process.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Why vote when the Nazi's will just threaten to kill you if you vote differently than them.

This is where we're heading.
edit on 22-11-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Haha. As much as I don't like Trump it's a far worse thing to subvert our democratic process.

I don't believe you.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: blood0fheroes
Penalties for faithless electors: wiki linki

Twenty-one states do not have laws compelling their electors to vote for a pledged candidate.[3] Twenty-nine states plus the District of Columbia have laws to penalize faithless electors, although these have never been enforced.

I suppose some would be willing to risk it...Imho though: Play stupid games; win stupid prizes.

There is no risk because the votes are made anonymously. How can anyone enforce a fine without being able to show any evidence that a law was broken? Now that we have several faithless electors, the cat is out of the bag. There will be no way whatsoever to know who the faithless electors were anymore.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I don't believe you.

Read the thread I made about it two weeks ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
And if they are successful... The house of representatives chooses. (mostly republicans) Trump is still president.

lol, this whole election cycle is like a tragic comedy that just won't end.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Doesn't matter.

You can "denounce" all you want, I just don't believe you.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Better then an unpredictable loose canon.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Many times these are little old ladies that have voted the party line all their lives and joined all the local rallies over the years. A reward if you will.

But suppose we look at what happens to the electoral votes after the vote. The governor of each state signs and affixes a seal to certify the vote and several copies are sent out to the various places. But since Ohio Governor Kasich hadn't pulled up his big boy panties by Election Day (wrote in John McCain who was not a valid write in candidate in Ohio--effectively invalidating his ballot). What if refuses to sign and certify Ohio's vote? All it takes is one US Rep and US Senator to object and Ohio's 18 votes get thrown out. Still above the 270 threshold but wow would that be amazing especially with the harassment and death threats electors are receiving nationwide.

Big question is what will happen if the EC overturns the election results and Congress goes with it? I would suggest a few people trade their safety pins for bullet resistant vests because it will get real ugly real fast.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Doesn't matter.

You can "denounce" all you want, I just don't believe you.

In the immortal words of the Dude, "That's, just like your opinion, man."

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

tempting fate- soap box,ballot box.....ammo box

+23 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Better then an unpredictable loose canon.

Why am I not surprised that you would opt for a Nazi regime?

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join