It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

So, starting every sentence with So

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

:-)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You will have noticed that tannoy announcements often begin with some sort of noise to alert people that they need to start listening to the words of the message. In some situations, there might be a phrase- "Here is a customer announcement".
I think "so" is being used as a conversational equivalent. It means "Please give me your attention, I'm about to say something".

About half a century ago, I was noticing that letters to the newspaper often began with "So".
"So, the local council wants to change the bus timetable again..."

My old father once alerted me to the fact that every interviewee on television was adding "you know" to the end of sentences. He found it irritating. I hadn't noticed, but his repetition of the phrase every time they used it was certainly irritating.

edit on 22-11-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: network dude

So to be clear, I'm unsure what this new phenomenon of English language communication means for the future, but I certainly wish to be in the front runners if it is beneficial in debate.

Using edgy words is KEY to winning a debate. In fact, during a short period in the year 2014, you could just say "winning" and whatever you were discussing was decided in your favor. (Thanks to Charlie Sheen on a coke binge) Sadly, we now are back to using silly things like "facts" when attempting to win a debate. So there is that.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

So thankfully vocal fry can't be sufficiently represented in text.

So I hope.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
So far, so good, so what!

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

So thankfully vocal fry can't be sufficiently represented in text.

Yeah - I wonder...

I'll bet it exists in a different way maybe? Can't hear it exactly, but OMG! I can hear that

Funny, I was eavesdropping on some women the other day - in their 30s. I realized, this is how women talk now if they're a certain age, specific generations. They just do - all over

When I'm reading through posts here at ATS, I'm so familiar with certain people that for me they actually have a voice that I can recognize and hear in my head. Maybe our brains need a kind of voice in order for language to work

Love this stuff

Anyway...

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Sadly, we now are back to using silly things like "facts" when attempting to win a debate. So there is that.

Starting when?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

So if the spoken language is evolving, perhaps we should like embrace it, you know.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

When I'm reading through posts here at ATS, I'm so familiar with certain people that for me they actually have a voice that I can recognize and hear in my head. Maybe our brains need a kind of voice in order for language to work

Love this stuff

Anyway...

I do the same thing with people I have seen here for years. I have a mental picture that is usually NOTHING at all like the actual person, and a voice to match. (the voice is rarely flattering, but since its in my head, and there is so much extra space, I feel like it's a "safe space".)

ETA: for example, with Augustusmasonicus, I hear a street drunk slurring his words and picture Ted Kennedy, yet I know him and he sounds nothing like that. (He does favor Ted a bit in the cheeks)
edit on 22-11-2016 by network dude because: busting a guy's balls who really needs them busted from time to time.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Sometimes it sounds more like devolution than evolution.
Don't worry, I'll soon learn them to talk proper like what I do.

link   

Sadly, we now are back to using silly things like "facts" when attempting to win a debate. So there is that.

Starting when?

Oh #, we were supposed to start? I thought this was all in the planning stages?

link   

(the voice is rarely flattering, but since its in my head, and there is so much extra space, I feel like it's a "safe space".)

Considering what kind of crap we dish out to each other here out loud - it's good we have those safe spaces

But, I have to say - all the voices in my head are lovely

Make of that what you will

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I feel like I over use the word "well"

I think a lot of my posts have "so" and "well" as openers lol.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

you are an Australian academic woman who is alluringly sexy. If none of that is right, please don't ruin it for me.
(Oh an don't forget, I am 6'11, 250 with rock hard abbs, and I sound like Stallone when he's trying to sound intelligent. (think Tango and Cash)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Interesting...

And accurate. Of course

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Interesting...

And accurate. Of course

see, you get it.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

So I'm the same when I imagine a certain Brit member shouting self righteous rants in the style of Brian Blessed.
So sorry, but you'll have to Google it, I so can't be arsed.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

So I'm the same when I imagine a certain Brit member shouting self righteous rants in the style of Brian Blessed.
So sorry, but you'll have to Google it, I so can't be arsed.

As a public service, - Brian Blessed. The second speaker in this clip.

Or, indeed, this one.

edit on 22-11-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I'll have to pay more attention, i have never noticed it TBQH, then again I am a Geordie living in the land of Wurzel "so" would i notice as i'm having to decipher every other word

ETA: Land of Wurzel = Bristol and surrounding areas
edit on 2016-11-22T17:23:11-06:002016Tue, 22 Nov 2016 17:23:11 -0600bTuesday2311America/Chicago165 by corblimeyguvnor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

So, I think that post was amazing. So amazing I made this amazing post to tell you so.

It's amazing,so amazing that I am actually amazed. So thank you so much my amazing friend.

So amazingly amazed,
~meathead

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join